What Criteria Will You Use to Conclude It Is Safe To Cruise Again

pappy1022

4 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’ve read about “false negatives” with the instant tests. Haven’t read much about false positives. 

Remember the HAL ship, I believe the Zaandam, that was sailing in Asia and no one would let them dock.  Then Cambodia let them dock and fly home.  In Malaysia, one passenger tested positive while in transit and the whole evacuation came to a screeching halt.  Everyone that hadn't already left was stuck in Cambodia and tested negative.  The passenger in Malaysia also later tested negative.  Great expense and great turmoil was placed on HAL, the government of Cambodia, and all the passengers.  

There are false positives.

Marc

edited to add:  All of those passengers coming back to USA had to test negative prior to getting on flight.  Who is to say that they are not positive with just too few virus to show up YET?  This is an inexact science so we cannot expect black and white results.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

:  All of those passengers coming back to USA had to test negative prior to getting on flight.  Who is to say that they are not positive with just too few virus to show up YET?  This is an inexact science so we cannot expect black and white results.

That's why I like what the PG is apparently doing--releasing the pax to 7 days of local quarantine and retesting in 4 days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

That's why I like what the PG is apparently doing--releasing the pax to 7 days of local quarantine and retesting in 4 days.

According to someone onboard reporting on the roll call they were all supposed to be on yesterday's ATN flight to LAX.

edited to add:  Saw the report from FP tourism that said they were to remain a week; so. now I am confused.

Edited by mrlevin

9 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Number one concern is what are the protocols if I become infected on the ship? Also what are the protocols if another pax or a crew member becomes infected? 

That is exactly one of the requirements the CDC has laid on the cruise lines and that is to have plans in place to take care of everyone on board at the cruise lines expense and not impact on shore services

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, rallydave said:

That is exactly one of the requirements the CDC has laid on the cruise lines and that is to have plans in place to take care of everyone on board at the cruise lines expense and not impact on shore services

..... and, IMO, that is one of the more ridiculous requirements. 

If I suffer a serious medical problem on board a cruise ship I would expect the medical staff to do what they could to stabilise my situation but then make every effort to get me to an onshore hospital as soon as possible.

This attitude of "Keep everyone on board" was what led to the previous issues of passengers and crew being stranded on board, further person-to-person transmissions; and finally giving the press a field day with sensational reports of "plague ships" & "floating petri-dishes"

• Like 4

I posted the following on April 26th on a Wendy-the Wandered thread:

"DW and I have been thrilled with our 18 Regent cruises and have looked forward to the 4 more that are booked (1 paid for) BUT we will not cruise again until there is a vaccine that puts our health risk about what the flu season does. Furthermore, I won't do a "luxury" cruise that isn't "luxury" - no masks, no social distance restrictions and probably no "letter from my physician". I would accept a requirement for a letter stating that we have gotten an annual Flu and COVIDXX shot. Otherwise, we will spend the significant cash that we would have provided to Regent on some of the great U.S. and local attractions and restaurants."

After 3 months, my criteria hasn't changed.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

..... and, IMO, that is one of the more ridiculous requirements. 

If I suffer a serious medical problem on board a cruise ship I would expect the medical staff to do what they could to stabilise my situation but then make every effort to get me to an onshore hospital as soon as possible.

This attitude of "Keep everyone on board" was what led to the previous issues of passengers and crew being stranded on board, further person-to-person transmissions; and finally giving the press a field day with sensational reports of "plague ships" & "floating petri-dishes"

When you dig into the CDC guidance to date, they are not talking about stabilizing and triaging, they are talking ICU level of care.  Would love to know where they are going to get the level of physicians and nurses to accomplish this task.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

..... and, IMO, thattheis one of the more ridiculous requirements. 

If I suffer a serious medical pand roblem on board a cruise ship I would expect the medical staff to do what they could to stabilise my situation but then make every effort to get me to an onshore hospital as soon as possible.

Susan,  believe I need to provide further information that will quell your concern.  The protocol I talked about is only concerning the Corona Virus.  In your example they would do as they always have and get you to on shore help if necessary ASAP.

As far as the Corona protocol, they are not saying they will keep everyone on board.  The requirement is for the cruise lines to have in place before sailing plans and contracts in place for private evacuations and private medical facilities such that public facilities in various ports are not impacted and not result in impacts to the people living in these ports.  Sure I haven't totally covered the requirements which you can find in the CDC No Sail Order but, for sure no attempt to keep people on board.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

There apparently will be (according to someone's post on the Regent board), a police investigation regarding the TUI ship that had cases of Covid.  They knew that there was a potential problem but sailed anyway.

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I have a lot of faith in NCLH and RCG.

I was not aware that TUI Cruises (50% owned by Royal Caribbean) had any issues on their initial cruises.

I have searched everywhere and all I can find is the generally positive reports including a blog on CC from a passenger. 

However I am sure you checked your facts before posting your opinions 🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rallydave said:

The requirement is for the cruise lines to have in place before sailing plans and contracts in place for private evacuations and private medical facilities

Sorry, but IMO these requirements are still totally OTT and unnecessary.

Is the same requirement in place for, say, on-shore holiday resorts or hotels?

6 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

I was not aware that TUI Cruises (50% owned by Royal Caribbean) had any issues on their initial cruises.

I have searched everywhere and all I can find is the generally positive reports including a blog on CC from a passenger. 

However I am sure you checked your facts before posting your opinions 🙄

I'm surprised that you missed it as it has been all over the news https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11133989/tui-cruise-passengers-flight/. (there are many more articles).

I did mis-post about the police investigation, it is for the Covid outbreak on Hurtigruten https://www.marinelog.com/shipping/cruising/police-to-probe-hurtigruten-coronavirus-outbreak/  

Agree with you (in your post #35).

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I'm surprised that you missed it as it has been all over the news https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11133989/tui-cruise-passengers-flight/. (there are many more articles).

I did mis-post about the police investigation, it is for the Covid outbreak on Hurtigruten https://www.marinelog.com/shipping/cruising/police-to-probe-hurtigruten-coronavirus-outbreak/  

Agree with you (in your post #35).

That report you linked about TUI is dated March 2020. Flossie is quite clearly not talking about events from several months ago. She's  referring to your erroneous claim in a previous post that it was  a TUI ship affected by the recent Covid-19 outbreak to the extent that police were involved in an investigation. It was not TUI. 

Edited by Isklaar
had not finished post!

14 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Sorry, but IMO these requirements are still totally OTT and unnecessary.

Is the same requirement in place for, say, on-shore holiday resorts or hotels?

Just the messenger and not providing any judgement.

As to you question, as far as I know same requirements not being applied to resorts or hotels.

17 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In general I have no problem with people that do not want to have to wear masks and follow other protocols on the ship since this is their vacation, however, it makes me wonder if these people refuse to social distance and wear masks when around others.  It seems to be the anti-mask, anti-social distance folks that are contributing to most of the increases in the virus.

Please don’t assume that anyone not wishing to wear a mask on a Luxury vacation is an “anti-masker” or “anti-social distancer”.
I have no issue wearing a mask when I have to, in fact I readily wore one in supermarkets before they became mandatory and I get very tetchy with anyone who doesn’t keep their distance. I will also certainly have the vaccine once available.

However, at this point I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to spend thousands of £’s (or $’s if you prefer) to wear one on a cruise, a plane or anything else.
I am not overly worried about catching the virus but would hate to get stuck in a foreign land, or worse quarantined on a ship, even one as luxurious as Regent.

Never say Never, so if we get a year or so down the line and the scourge that is this virus is still as virulent and wearing a mask all the time becomes normalised beyond our wildest dreams (nightmares), I may reconsider.
But, at this time, until there are a good few cruises that have “tested the waters” and the protocols are well understood, count me out. 

• Like 9

I’m a bit of a risk taker and feel good about my immune system so I’ll probably cruise when a cruise I have booked doesn’t get canceled. I’m fine with wearing a mask when walking around the ship. I would hope to be able to take the mask off once I get to my seat in the bar or restaurant. 

I think eradication is very unlikely so what I’m really looking forward to is when a COVID-19 outbreak onboard is treated similar to a norovirus outbreak. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, lprp said:

Please don’t assume that anyone not wishing to wear a mask on a Luxury vacation is an “anti-masker” or “anti-social distancer”.
I have no issue wearing a mask when I have to, in fact I readily wore one in supermarkets before they became mandatory and I get very tetchy with anyone who doesn’t keep their distance. I will also certainly have the vaccine once available.

However, at this point I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to spend thousands of £’s (or $’s if you prefer) to wear one on a cruise, a plane or anything else.
I am not overly worried about catching the virus but would hate to get stuck in a foreign land, or worse quarantined on a ship, even one as luxurious as Regent.

Never say Never, so if we get a year or so down the line and the scourge that is this virus is still as virulent and wearing a mask all the time becomes normalised beyond our wildest dreams (nightmares), I may reconsider.
But, at this time, until there are a good few cruises that have “tested the waters” and the protocols are well understood, count me out. 

I did not assume anything - you are putting words in my mouth.  

Here is an August 2020 article regarding Covid on ships - maybe you will like this one better. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article244684697.html

27 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

I’m a bit of a risk taker and feel good about my immune system so I’ll probably cruise when a cruise I have booked doesn’t get canceled. I’m fine with wearing a mask when walking around the ship. I would hope to be able to take the mask off once I get to my seat in the bar or restaurant. 

I think eradication is very unlikely so what I’m really looking forward to is when a COVID-19 outbreak onboard is treated similar to a norovirus outbreak. 

Our sentiments exactly!  You were able to put this into words much more clearly than I was thinking.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I did not assume anything - you are putting words in my mouth.  

Here is what you said: "In general I have no problem with people that do not want to have to wear masks and follow other protocols on the ship since this is their vacation, however, it makes me wonder if these people refuse to social distance and wear masks when around others." The words may not have come out of your mouth, but they did come out of your fingers.

I am one of "those people" who do not want to wear a mask & follow protocols on the ship. You don't need to wonder if I follow social distance and wear a mask when I am around others. I expect most intelligent people on this board do. I will return to cruising when it is safe to do so without these requirements & I will meet or exceed all safety requirements wherever I choose to go.

• Like 9

@lprp I totally agree with you. Here on Guernsey no masks, no social distancing and now the shops have taken the hand sanitizers away. I will only cruise when I have all those freedoms back. 

Yes we are mainly stuck on our holiday island, but y’know let’s wait and see and then cruise when it’s safe to do so. 

• Like 3

Apples and oranges:

I said "In general I have no problem with people that do not want to have to wear masks and follow other protocols on the ship since this is their vacation, however, it makes me wonder if these people refuse to social distance and wear masks when around others."

rallydave posted that I posted something like "Please don’t assume that anyone not wishing to wear a mask on a Luxury vacation is an “anti-masker” or “anti-social distancer”.    

I do not recall using the term anti-masker or anti-social distance" nor do I assume that someone that does not want to wear a mask on a ship is one (one of the terms that I didn't use).

My post was about people that do not want to wear masks while on vacation on a cruise ship.  I have no issue with that whatsoever - they can stay home.   Then, I wondered out loud if the same people wear masks at home.

This is an example of how posts are misread and misunderstood.  

Edited by Travelcat2

6 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

rallydave posted that I posted something like "Please don’t assume that anyone not wishing to wear a mask on a Luxury vacation is an “anti-masker” or “anti-social distancer”.   I do not really recall anyone using those terms

And this is another example of how posts are incorrect.  I have written absolutely nothing  about masks.  It was diebroke you were going back and forth with.

Also your post earlier today  about the current Aida ship having COVID on board was based on the link you provided which was an article from March and far from current. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rallydave said:

And this is another example of how posts are incorrect.  I have written absolutely nothing  about masks.  It was diebroke you were going back and forth with.

Also your post earlier today  about the current Aida ship having COVID on board was based on the link you provided which was an article from March and far from current. 

We were both wrong.  I was responding to "lprp" and then "diebroke" chimed in.

If you had actually read my post you would know that I posted an August, 2020 article about Covid on a TUI ship.  I did not post anything recently about the Aida ship.

So, in fairness, misreading, misquoting, or mis-understanding posts is common on this board.  To recap:

1.  I thought that I was responding to you and instead responded to lprp (my mistake).

2.  I mistakenly posted an older article regarding Covid on TUI (my error)

3.  In that post I posted a recent article that included Covid on TUI (as well as other ships).  (You missed it)

4.  Then, in your last paragraph you referenced an Aida ship that I supposedly posted about that had an old date.  The article with the old date was about TUI - not Aida (your error).

There is no need to get up in arms about this stuff - it happens.

Edited by Travelcat2

4 hours ago, rallydave said:

I certainly don’t want to be trapped on the ship. 

• Like 1