Sri Lanka visa

TEOB

13 minutes ago, TEOB said:

Taking a cruise which stops at two towns in Sri Lanka, 9 hours each. For those of you who've been there on a cruise - do I need a visa? If so, what kind? Thanks

Yes.  No. Maybe.  What's your citizenship?  That's important to know.

13 minutes ago, TEOB said:

Sorry - U.S.

Yes, US citizens need a visa to visit Sri Lanka. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/SriLanka.html

Scroll down to "Entry, Exit, and Visa Requirments" section.  There's a link there to apply for the visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEOB said:

Taking a cruise which stops at two towns in Sri Lanka, 9 hours each. For those of you who've been there on a cruise - do I need a visa? If so, what kind? Thanks

If you are a US citizen and you intend to step ashore in Sri Lanka (including only one or two ports over two days), you need at least the "electronic tourist visa" which is not the same as the "electronic transit visa."

Use the CC search feature to find the very long thread about the Sri Lanka visa "almost fubar" for some Oceania passengers who erroneously got the transit visa for a two port Sri Lanka visit in February. 

There are also some occasional glitches with the Sri Lanka Immigration website (as well as possible confusion caused by lookalike visa service sites that appear to be the govt. site). In addition, if you make an application error on the official site and get the wrong visa, you can't reapply unless you get the govt. folks to cancel the first one.

Not everyone experiences the main website woe (which occasionally will cite application approval but then not generate/send the actual electronic certificate). We know about this first hand.

That said, do know that there are Sri Lanka consular offices in DC, NY and L.A. and their passport officers can help dealing with their "folks back home." FWIW, the L.A. officer (Mr Ramsay) is terrific!

Bottom line, however, is to not wait until the last minute to get the tourist visa.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

Thanks, all. I asked because we don't normally take cruises but have heard from some who do that cruisers just in port for the day sometimes don't need a visa. 

Thanks, all. I asked because we don't normally take cruises but have heard from some who do that cruisers just in port for the day sometimes don't need a visa. 
You have to apply online for the free electronic tourist visa which is valid for 2 days and free for 2 days.
Carry a printout for each passenger.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, TEOB said:

In some ports this is true, but in Sri Lanka you'll need the visa. Good news is that it is a simple and inexpensive visa to obtain.