Cruise Critic Community

Posted (edited)

Samflundssund - how Denmark flattened the curve.

There is no direct translation, but it means putting the good of the people above our own personal interests,  via collective responsibility and community spirit.

I believe there are many Aussie quiet achievers, who already do this.  We need to hear more of them and less of those individuals who are all about "self".

BBC News

Edited by MMDown Under

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Samflundssund - how Denmark flattened the curve.

I believe there are many Aussie quiet achievers, who already do this.  We need to hear more of them and less of those individuals who are all about "self".

Here Here. Well said.

I read something similar about Tunisia. I don't know if there is a word for it there but their government puts their curve flattening down to that same attitude.

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I read something similar about Tunisia. I don't know if there is a word for it there but their government puts their curve flattening down to that same attitude.

That is very interesting.  As a young child, I was brought up like that.  I think it was the country way. 

Posted (edited)

Some women in Qld. are making masks and distributing them for free.  One lady made 347 masks in 48 hours.  She puts them on her front fence.  An older guy asked if he could take one for his wife and elderly parents as he was worried about them.  He asked how much they were.  When he was told they were free, he burst into tears.  The lady said that is why she does it. 

ABC News

Edited by MMDown Under

347 masks in 48 hours! It probably took me about 24 hours to make 17 - 14 good ones and three prototypes! 

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

347 masks in 48 hours! It probably took me about 24 hours to make 17 - 14 good ones and three prototypes! 

I thought of your effort when I read that.

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Some women in Qld. are making masks and distributing them for free.  One lady made 347 masks in 48 hours.  She puts them on her front fence.  An older guy asked if he could take one for his wife and elderly parents as he was worried about them.  He asked how much they were.  When he was told they were free, he burst into tears.  The lady said that is why she does it. 

ABC News

Like in the World Wars when the women at home knitted socks and scarves for the boys in the trenches.  Now it is Covid Masks.

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

ABC News

She's a Covid Hero.

Compare her attitude with a couple of those brats in Melbourne who refuse to wear masks. One even bashed a policewoman. Talk about opposite sides of the coin.😏

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

She's a Covid Hero.

Compare her attitude with a couple of those brats in Melbourne who refuse to wear masks. One even bashed a policewoman. Talk about opposite sides of the coin.😏

There is a couple in one of the inner bayside suburbs who have been making masks for a couple of weeks and hanging them out the front of their property for those passing to take. When you compare these wonderful people who are doing a fantastic service to their community with these anti-mask idiots who only want their faces on social media and TV, well there is no comparison at all.

Leigh

33 minutes ago, possum52 said:

There is a couple in one of the inner bayside suburbs who have been making masks for a couple of weeks and hanging them out the front of their property for those passing to take. When you compare these wonderful people who are doing a fantastic service to their community with these anti-mask idiots who only want their faces on social media and TV, well there is no comparison at all.

Leigh

NZ Govt has today advised ALL New Zealanders to have a supply of masks at the ready for when the inevitable second wave of Covid strikes 😳😳

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

NZ Govt has today advised ALL New Zealanders to have a supply of masks at the ready for when the inevitable second wave of Covid strikes 😳😳

Good idea to have a supply of masks.  However, does NZ expect a second wave?

21 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Hope it doesn't happen David.

Leigh

Posted (edited)

Keeping fingers crossed that it does not arrive ,but the worldwide outlook is grim ,so best to be prepared.

Wondering what effect it will have on our election which is .only 6 weeks away 

Parliament finished today ,so the pollies are into election mode .

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

25 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Keeping fingers crossed that it does not arrive ,but the worldwide outlook is grim ,so best to be prepared.

Wondering what effect it will have on our election which is .only 6 weeks away 

Parliament finished today ,so the pollies are into election mode .

Unusual to have two female leaders.

30 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Unusual to have two female leaders.

Not in NZ. It's happened before, I think. There were two female PMs in a row a while back, one from each major party.

33 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not in NZ. It's happened before, I think. There were two female PMs in a row a while back, one from each major party.

I know NZ has had female PMs, but I didn't realise there was a PM and LotO both females. 

43 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I know NZ has had female PMs, but I didn't realise there was a PM and LotO both females. 

Yes, with two female PMs in a row one must have be LotO at the time of the changeover election.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:47 AM, MMDown Under said:

ABC News

22 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's an incredible output! After a few days experimenting with different designs, DW & I started production last night and have 36 partially completed masks. Unfortunately with moving house recently we downsized to one sewing machine. So one of us cuts or folds and presses seams while the other sews. And I woke up this morning with a brainwave of how to cut out an unnecessary step.  

16 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

That's an incredible output! After a few days experimenting with different designs, DW & I started production last night and have 36 partially completed masks. Unfortunately with moving house recently we downsized to one sewing machine. So one of us cuts or folds and presses seams while the other sews. And I woke up this morning with a brainwave of how to cut out an unnecessary step.  

Well done!  You must have been dreaming about solutions. 

Today's Newcastle Herald has printed patterns for masks.