Next time I cruise I am definitely going to....

chemmo

I retired 12/31/19. My plan was to travel most of this year. We all know how that went. I usually travel solo and thought booking a suite for just me was a waste of money. I’m going to book a suite. I’m going to watch the sun rise. I’m going to live my best me. 

Now I’m going sing happy birthday to the little guy in the photo. He is 13 today. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Chemmo, definitely!  Raspberry Nectar tea, hot chocolate & my favorite Affogato 

D92F3818-E51F-4402-B0E9-208F0713E373.jpeg

AE24BD4B-52F8-4138-A389-2218FF746E92.jpeg

6E00D369-2B08-49E6-85B9-14E6333EFECF.jpeg

I have had the hot chocolate and one with rum in too! 

What is in the affogato?

A couple of cruises ago I tried an Aspen coffee after hearing several people on CC saying it was wonderful and I hated it , far too sweet. I felt so guilty leaving it I returned to my previous regular order of Americano, not very interesting but it does wake you up in the morning!

Definately fancy trying more but nothing too sweet! Ideas folks?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Firepath said:

I will definitely take more photos. Really enjoying everyone else’s.

Yes, agree...Years ago we used to take loads and on recent cruises photos have all been sight seeing. Definitely we will take more people pictures.

4 minutes ago, journeymore said:

I retired 12/31/19. My plan was to travel most of this year. We all know how that went. I usually travel solo and thought booking a suite for just me was a waste of money. I’m going to book a suite. I’m going to watch the sun rise. I’m going to live my best me. 

Now I’m going sing happy birthday to the little guy in the photo. He is 13 today. 

Happy birthday young man! I hope he has a fantastic day despite everything going on. I feel so much for all the young people whose education, social life and family bonds have been so badly effected.

So sorry your retirement plans haven’t worked out but it sounds like you will be ready when cruising resumes! I retired from Special Needs teaching in 2014 after 34 years! We celebrated by flying to Hawaii for just over a week then cruising to Sydney followed by some time there...Fantastic. 

After your disappointment this year you are right to treat yourself to a suite upgrade! One nice thing about the Suite Life is you are a community within a community. Through Michael’s/Retreat you soon get to know others, some we have met have become life long friends. Also the concierge organises activities such as concerts, bridge tours, galley tours...so plenty to do. I know many don’t feel the need for a butler and I respect that but I do love being pampered!

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic retirement cruise, whenever it happens, make sure you do a review for us all to read!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, journeymore said:

Enjoy the Suite Life. Don't forget watch the sunsets 🌅 too!

And Happy Birthday wishes to your young man. 🎂

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

I have had the hot chocolate and one with rum in too! 

What is in the affogato?

A couple of cruises ago I tried an Aspen coffee after hearing several people on CC saying it was wonderful and I hated it , far too sweet. I felt so guilty leaving it I returned to my previous regular order of Americano, not very interesting but it does wake you up in the morning!

Definately fancy trying more but nothing too sweet! Ideas folks?

The Affogato is a Drizzle of chocolate in a small martini glass, a scoop of gelato (chocolate or vanilla) a pour of espresso over the gelato & another drizzle of chocolate...delightful

4 hours ago, Firepath said:

I will definitely take more photos. Really enjoying everyone else’s.

I always carry a small Canon Power Shot. Great for videos and photographs. I take a lot more video of all our cruises (trips) than I do still shots. When I get home I download the video and pictures to my computer and then burn a DVD (movie format) to watch on our TV. Great to watch and relive the cruise (trips) at home while enjoying a glass of wine. There's things I video that my wife doesn't even know about (or I even forgot about) until watching the video at home. We've been watching our past cruise videos on Sundays as all our 2020 cruises were cancelled. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love all of the posts - makes me miss cruising even more ! We have been used to cruising about 3 or 4 times a  year - luckily we managed to get in a cruise in early March - just before everything shut down

I guess what we will do as soon as we cruise again (hopefully a TA in April 2021) is simply relax and enjoy being able to cruise again - watch the waves from our aft balcony - and do lots of nothing !! - 

46 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I love all of the posts - makes me miss cruising even more ! We have been used to cruising about 3 or 4 times a  year - luckily we managed to get in a cruise in early March - just before everything shut down

I guess what we will do as soon as we cruise again (hopefully a TA in April 2021) is simply relax and enjoy being able to cruise again - watch the waves from our aft balcony - and do lots of nothing !! - 

Best wishes for your TA...If the TAs happen then our chances of cruise from Southampton become a real possibility!

I do think all of us who cruise regularly will want to do as you say ‘simply relax and enjoy being able to cruise again’.

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

The Affogato is a Drizzle of chocolate in a small martini glass, a scoop of gelato (chocolate or vanilla) a pour of espresso over the gelato & another drizzle of chocolate...delightful

Sounds like a full dessert rather than just a drink, I will definitely give it a go!

We would like to enjoy dinner in the (S-class) Tuscan Grille every night -- trying every item on the menu ... and then having "encores" of our favorite items on the last night or two.  (Fig gelato will be a "must" every night, though.)  Waiters, chefs, and Maitre d' may deserve cash gratuities!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, awhfy said:

We were very fortunate to celebrate our 50th anniversary last year on Eclipse In September (Vancouver to Hawaii) & On Reflection MardiGras & ABCs in March (yes, we celebrated for a year, why not)

take the silly photos, take a professional photo, revel in the hot waffles with orange butter, stroll the ship at 4 am, dream on the balcony, get to Martini Bar early enough to get a seat at the bar, enjoy a specialty dinner (or several). Do everything or nothing, just be. 

Thank You for the amazing photos & HAPPY 50th!!!!

One Year is a GREAT Celebration - which I believe you should continue celebrating until you hit 55.

My In-laws 60th would have been a couple of days ago - unfortunately, we lost one in November.
Celebrate every chance you get...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

...  Definately going to try more coffees in Cafe al Bacio and if I try one and don’t like it I will order another! 

Chemmo - Try them all...  Some were not my favorite - but there was not a single one I wasn't willing to drink....

Love the Affogato & Venetian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, journeymore said:

Enjoy your travel - when you are able...

Happy 13th Birthday to the special person in the photo 🎂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chemmo said:

Love it!

That is what holidays are all about...doing  just as you like.

When we were young we were always on the go. Long excursions, joining in lots of activities...but the older we have got the happier we have become just watching the world go by....

I love being in ports where you have a good view and you can watch everyone else scurry back and forth. Something so decadent about sitting (drink in hand) and doing absolutely nothing! 

I love sitting at the sunset bar mid afternoon  and chatting with others knowing the most energetic thing I need to do is put my hand up to get a refill...

We will definitely find time next cruise to simply relax and sit and stare as well as doing all the things we always mean to do but never get around to!

Thanks Chemmo,

This brings to mind a cruise long ago on the Century.  We had the PH and it was cool...it had a 1 person jacuzzi on the balcony.  It looked like an afterthought but they managed to fit it in.  One of my best times was lolling around in that jacuzzi in the afternoons with a big Manhattan in my hand.  Every time I would see the pax down on the pier wearily coming back to the ship I would laugh out loud and take another sip.  Exceedingly glad that it was not I who was trudging up the gangway...lol.  

6 hours ago, jg51 said:

We would like to enjoy dinner in the (S-class) Tuscan Grille every night -- trying every item on the menu ... and then having "encores" of our favorite items on the last night or two.  (Fig gelato will be a "must" every night, though.)  Waiters, chefs, and Maitre d' may deserve cash gratuities!

With booking a RS or PH we do get unlimited speciality dining included so tend to dine most evenings in Tuscan or Murano’s. We spend quite a bit of time planning when to go to Tuscan. Always first night so we can see the sea and really know we are on a cruise. Other nights we will choose Tuscan at a time it leaves the port. Nothing nicer than watching day time change to dusk then to darkness and the port slowly disappearing...Best ever Tuscan views were in Norway.

With dining in the speciality restaurants so often they will often offer to cook us something off menu. Murano’s have made us wonderful steak Diane and Tuscan when we mentioned how we missed the mushroom ravioli had a starter ready for us next visit. Whilst we always have great speciality experiences last cruise on Equinox was the best ever! One of the bonuses of our next cruise on Silhouette are the additional restaurants. We particularly enjoyed on Reflection having lunch in the Porch, Seafood tower and sangria! 

We haven’t dined out since all the problems so at present I would be very happy with anyone cooking me anything and cleaning up afterwards!

7 hours ago, DreadPirateRobert said:

Take in every second of relaxation and joy. 

Totally agree, I think many of us when we finally get back on board will just walk around with large contented smiles on our faces, just as you say ‘Taking in every second of relaxation and joy’...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thanks Chemmo,

This brings to mind a cruise long ago on the Century.  We had the PH and it was cool...it had a 1 person jacuzzi on the balcony.  It looked like an afterthought but they managed to fit it in.  One of my best times was lolling around in that jacuzzi in the afternoons with a big Manhattan in my hand.  Every time I would see the pax down on the pier wearily coming back to the ship I would laugh out loud and take another sip.  Exceedingly glad that it was not I who was trudging up the gangway...lol.  

I must say that if we book any excursions now we tend now to look for shorter and mornings.  Too old for those marathon full day adventures we used to enjoy so much when we were young!

Late afternoon we usually get a delivery of an afternoon tea selection (we always request a kettle in our room to make our own tea). Invariably we will enjoy this leisurely on the balcony watching the exhausted return. We always hope they are tired out but content, the way we used to be when we had experienced fantastic tours in years gone by. The only snag we ever have with our afternoon tea is persuading the butler we only want a small selection!

Edited by chemmo