NCL ships leave leave Miami - unknown return date

david_sobe

July 30, shortly before Isaias was due to hit Florida, no?  Anyone stop to think that they "got out of Dodge" in an effort to avoid damage if the storm strengthened?  In fact - MANY (all?) of the ships anchored in the Bahamas made the same exact move West to avoid the storm...

A little dramatic on this, aren't we?

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

They are working on where to reposition them

Sky, Sun, Pearl and Gem are now ported in Curacao. Epic, Dawn and Spirit are on way to Gibraltar. Encore and Bliss are headed to Malmo Sweden.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

And the projected Hurricane has passed , therefore making ships safe to dock again.

We are going into the heart of hurricane season. Have no clue if that's a factor but would make sense

Italy is restarting cruising. Just read about it on the website for the newspaper Corriere della Sera. The Italian premier specifically mentioned cruise ships and commented on the importance of tourism to the Italian economy. Looks like things are improving over there. Only a matter of time before we start cruising on this side of the Atlantic, too.

7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Italy is restarting cruising. Just read about it on the website for the newspaper Corriere della Sera. The Italian premier specifically mentioned cruise ships and commented on the importance of tourism to the Italian economy. Looks like things are improving over there. Only a matter of time before we start cruising on this side of the Atlantic, too.

Cruising is not starting on this side of the Atlantic anytime soon. Italy did a total lock down for over a month which is why they have more control over the virus. We can't even get people to put on masks. It is going to be a long time before any  ships cruise out of the US.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Cruising is not starting on this side of the Atlantic anytime soon. Italy did a total lock down for over a month which is why they have more control over the virus. We can't even get people to put on masks. It is going to be a long time before any  ships cruise out of the US.

Please define the following, in your own terms:

"anytime soon."

"long time"

Thank you. (PS if you have any factual data to back up your claims, please provide them as I did).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Please define the following, in your own terms:

"anytime soon."

"long time"

Thank you. (PS if you have any factual data to back up your claims, please provide them as I did).

My glass is always 1/2 full...…..too many 1/2 empty around.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

It's sad to not see any NCL ships in Miami anymore. Its sadder to think how long they may be gone 😞

well dave , lets face it , texas and florida screwed up back in may, opening things too fast.  Give ppl an inch they take a mile,  imo we could be seeing a few cruises right about now had ppl behaved , out of those two states. 

20 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

My glass is always 1/2 full...…..too many 1/2 empty around.

Same here...

Italy made some mistakes early on, but they've since gotten things under control and their government is clearly ready to start cruising again. Yet somehow our situation is out of control and cruising isn't happening "anytime soon." Sorry but I call BS. It would be more accurate to say that US cruising will be resuming over the course of the next few months, just like in Europe. Anyone who disagrees needs to be able to back up his/her claims with facts, not random (negative) speculation. But yeah, I'm a glass 1/2 full guy, too. What's the point of being a sad sack all the time, LOL. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Sorry but I call BS. It would be more accurate to say that US cruising will be resuming over the course of the next few months, just like in Europe. Anyone who disagrees needs to be able to back up his/her claims with facts, not random (negative) speculation. But yeah, I'm a glass 1/2 full guy, too. What's the point of being a sad sack all the time, LOL. 🤣

Fact: The CLIA has already voluntary stopped cruise ships from sailing in the USA for the next 'few' months. 

And before you ask anyone to back up his/her claims with facts, let us not forget your random claim that you were "100% certain" US residents would be allowed to cruise in May. Or how about your statement that NCL cruise ships would "Sail for Sure, no question in your mind" by February. I disagree so it's fair for me to ask you to back up your claims with facts and not random speculation.  I call BS on the double standard you seem to insist on. 

BTW: Are you still certain your January trip on Joy is a go? You were making those claims a few days ago with no 'facts' to back it up. Here are a few examples if you need a refresher. I have more if that will help you recognize the hypocrisy in your postings.  Just trying to help you out :) 

dumbass3.JPG.f07880e3fbf90e4305599efdd83c7c65.JPG

1535309988_dumbass2.JPG.8f091549b34b8c9485bf2a4c163a563c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

NCLH appears to be sending a large portion of its fleet to Europe.  I'm not sure why?  

NORWEGIAN BLISS

NORWEGIAN ENCORE

NORWEGIAN DAWN

NORWEGIAN EPIC

NORWEGIAN SPIRIT

SEVEN SEAS EXPLORER

OCEANIA RIVIERA

OCEANIA SIRENA

It's all these ships you see mid-Atlantic and getting close to Europe.  

173C75EF-2C4F-4CFA-9843-DF96617C4AD3.png

Edited by eroller

5 minutes ago, eroller said:

NCLH appears to be sending a large portion of its fleet to Europe.  I'm not sure why?  

Thanks for sharing this :). That is a lot of ships for a non-revenue generating move. I do think it's safe to say Europe will open before the USA. I believe MSC has already gotten the go-ahead and Greece is welcoming cruise ships (among others).  The big question from those of us who live in the USA is, "When can USA tourists get to Europe?" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks for sharing this :). That is a lot of ships for a non-revenue generating move. I do think it's safe to say Europe will open before the USA. I believe MSC has already gotten the go-ahead and Greece is welcoming cruise ships (among others).  The big question from those of us who live in the USA is, "When can USA tourists get to Europe?" 

True Europe will probably open up first, but only for local residents.  Also it's very late in the Europe season.  Fall will be here before you know it and that is when most ships reposition to warmer climates.  So it does make me wonder what NCLH is up to with all these ships.  

On another note, I think it's way too soon for MSC to even think about starting up.  So far we have had the failure of SeaDream Yacht Club, Hurtigruten, Paul Gauguin, and UnCruise.  All small ship operators where controlling the environment is far easier than a mega-ship.  All failed to prevent COVID and now they are dealing with the backlash and have opened up the cruise industry to more negative PR (something it doesn't need).  MSC is not exactly known as the most organized or efficient of cruise lines, and I can just see them having a big COVID outbreak and tarnishing the cruise industry even more with a pre-mature restart.  AIDA was also planning on a restart, but those plans have been put on hold as several crew members have come down with COVID.  Clearly the world is not ready to restart cruising.   

• Like 2

Even if NCL plans to start operations in Europe first and only for european citizens,i guess that the no. of ships is way too much.

Except of the UK, NCL does not have a significant market share in Europe, so i don`t think that they will be able to "fill" 7 or 8 ships(even if only at 50% capacity)

So there must be another reason for their reposition to europe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hallux said:

July 30, shortly before Isaias was due to hit Florida, no?  Anyone stop to think that they "got out of Dodge" in an effort to avoid damage if the storm strengthened?  In fact - MANY (all?) of the ships anchored in the Bahamas made the same exact move West to avoid the storm...

A little dramatic on this, aren't we?

No one is being dramatic.  I posted a few months ago when Epic showed up in Miami while driving past the port.  This was just a follow up for that.  Although anytime I see a cruise ship sail away from port with no passengers except crew is a bit spooky IMHO.  As others noted, the ships move around alot and some are moving to Europe.  As far as the storm goes, you have an incorrect assumption.  Miami did not even get tropical storm gusts let alone any kind of storm/hurricane.  The Bahamas did and remained consistently on the dirty side of the storm.  Parts of the Bahamas took a lashing so if you wanted to move ships out of harms way, it would not be to the Bahamas.

No drama.  Just trying to keep the board relevant with posts here and there.  

• Like 1