Can’t they just dock the ships at port and have people pay day passes?

dulcemariamar

Now that the theme parks have opened in Florida, would it be profitable to open the ships and offer a reduced number of day passes so people could enjoy the ships. You could offer the pools, put on limited capacity shows, and do some onboard activities. There are so many restaurants that you can definitely split people up. What do you think?

I believe you have too high an opinion on ship board life.

People can access full size in many local places. No need for the ship's smaller pool. There are tons of local restaurants better than the ship's restaurants. What activities on the ship are more fun and exciting than what can be found locally?

Ship life only works when the ship is out to sea and options are limited.  Also, many cities with an active waterway already offer 1-3 hr harbor/dinner cruises. Trying to operate a huge cruise ship would lose money. JMHO.

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 3

This was suggested recently, perhaps last week...  It is more complicated than you think.  All staff would have to have different visas as they would be working in the US.  There are other reasons outlined by @chengkp75.  Perhaps searching back a few pages will pull up the thread.  EM

2 hours ago, dulcemariamar said:

Now that the theme parks have opened in Florida, would it be profitable to open the ships and offer a reduced number of day passes so people could enjoy the ships. You could offer the pools, put on limited capacity shows, and do some onboard activities. There are so many restaurants that you can definitely split people up. What do you think?

I should be interested in it but of course it depends on how much it should cost.

Why not use it as a hotel and offer overnights too?

2 hours ago, dulcemariamar said:

Dumb idea.

costs way more money to keep a ship tied up to the pier than they could make in day passes.

plus, the piers are used for other things

I have seen people board the ship and use its facilities for a day so I don’t think it is such a crazy idea.

If there is an outbreak at a hotel what would be the protocol? Would people be forced to stay at the hotel?

I think it also depends on the ship. Mega ships like from RC could offer a lot of activities that you couldn't find at your house or in a hotel.

Speaking about ships in Florida ports where corona virus is rampant, why would anyone risk it?

In addition, open theme parks are losing money.  Check out any of yesterday's articles about Disney's massive 3rd quarter loses.  The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/08/04/disney-earnings-highlights-mulan/) reported

Equally concerning for Disney have been the few rays of theme-park light since the quarter ended. The company re-opened Disney World in Florida last month to begin rebuilding its revenue pipeline. But chief financial officer Christine McCarthy acknowledged the move has not panned out as hoped.

“The upside we’re seeing is less than we originally expected given the surge of covid-19 in Florida," she told analysts.

Disney chief executive Bob Chapek said that the park has experienced a “higher-than-expected level of cancellations” as people decide not to travel to Orlando because of the virus.

Edited by capriccio

30 minutes ago, dulcemariamar said:

I have seen people board the ship and use its facilities for a day so I don’t think it is such a crazy idea.

Where and under what circumstances? 

29 minutes ago, dulcemariamar said:

Why not?

Foreign corporation, foreign crew, foreign flagged ships.  Crew on foreign flagged ships receive what's called a C1/D work visa, aka seaman's visa.  This visa only allows for temporary stays in the US when the ship ports.  If a ship permanently ports and runs shop from the dock without getting underway, all these crew would be illegally working in the US. 

But that's US law.  Can't speak for the rest of the World. 

Edited by Aquahound

Why on earth would I want to spend a day on a cruise ship docked where I live????

Certainly not for the dining, or the lack of sun loungers around the pool, or for the on board retail shops.

No interest in going near a crowded theme park either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dulcemariamar said:

If there is an outbreak at a hotel what would be the protocol? Would people be forced to stay at the hotel?

I think it also depends on the ship. Mega ships like from RC could offer a lot of activities that you couldn't find at your house or in a hotel.

More than likely those may have been TA...or at times wedding parties.

1 hour ago, dulcemariamar said:

Simple economics is the reason it wouldn't work, in addition to a plethora of international regulations, the least of which is compliance with crew visas and the ISPS Code and the Ship's Security Manual.

The first thing they teach you when going to sea is that ships don't make money in port. If ships could make money alongside the TAR day would be many hours longer alongside the dock, to make life easier on the crew.

Another consideration is I suspect many people have no desire to go to Florida due to their COVID numbers. Even if the border was open, we certainly wouldn't go there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Another consideration is I suspect many people have no desire to go to Florida due to their COVID numbers. Even if the border was open, we certainly wouldn't go there.

Why should they put the ships in Florida? Maybe other places are better.

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

I can get a bigger room, better pool, nicer restaurants for a lower price at a land-based resort or hotel without the risk of being quarantined on board if someone tests positive.  

Isn't that depending on how much it should cost?

Why should you prefer to be quarantined on a hotel?

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Doesn't that depend on where people live? I don't think that our restaurants here are better than some of the restaurants on some cruiseships.

These large ships would be in the regular port cities --Miami, NYC, San Diego, New Orleans, Charleston, etc. 

Any of these cities lacking in restaurants and activities?

Surely, you don't think anyone is going to fly in to spend a few hours on a docked ship.

Edited by cruizergal70

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Isn't that depending on how much it should cost?

Why should you prefer to be quarantined on a hotel?

As best I recall there were not people forcibly quarantined in hotel rooms because a member of staff tested positive nor places where hotel guests were barred from leaving by the local authorities.  Cruise ships that had that happen.

I'd also prefer a hotel because they are larger and social distancing would be easier. 

Edited by K32682

5 minutes ago, K32682 said:

As best I recall there were not people forcibly quarantined in hotel rooms because a member of staff tested positive nor places where hotel guests were barred from leaving by the local authorities.  Cruise ships that had that happen.

I'd also prefer a hotel because they are larger and social distancing would be easier. 

People have been banned from leaving hotels by local authorities.

I have been in many hotels but none of them have been bigger the the biggest cruiseships I have been on.

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

These large ships would be in the regular port cities --Miami, NYC, San Diego, New Orleans, Charleston, etc. 

Any of these cities lacking in restaurants and activities?

I'm sure that there are places close to for example Miami with less variety and quality of restaurants than many of the cruiseships.

27 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I'm sure that there are places close to for example Miami with less variety and quality of restaurants than many of the cruiseships.

Take a look at a map of south east Florida.  All the population is in a thin area between the ocean and the Everglades.  Within that strip there are four major cities (Miami, Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach) and lots of suburbs with excellent restaurants.

• Like 1

You can’t be serious. Where are you from? Are you in Sweden?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Haha 2