Italian Prime Minister says cruises must resume

kremerlorraine

This from today's "Corriere della Sera". Google Translated.

Cruises and conferences

The prime minister says it cautiously, he does not go out of balance. But then he talks about " cruise ships that have to start traveling again because tourism is a fundamental piece of our economy ", he focuses " on the fairs and conferences that we have to organize, because only in this way can all activities be resumed", he understands which direction this new phase is taking. The masks, the distances, "are fundamental , but they must not be perceived as a limitation. I can say it because I recalled from the first day the respect of the rules that provided for the obligation to use these devices and nowI am very pleased to see who derided us, forced to cover our nose and mouth and above all to advise everyone, young people first of all, that we must be careful ».

I promise not to inflict any more Google Translate on the board! The latest news, which I've just read on the French Costa Fans Facebook page, is that the Italian parliamentary scientific and technical committee approved the safety protocol last night and the final decision will be taken by the Conference of Regional States (due to meet on Monday).

• 2 months later...

A study of cities 1918 that chose economy over containment showed those that chose containment had far stronger economic recovery than those that shunned disease mitigation because they curtailed the economy, they lost in the long run.

One of the most basic lessons in life.   I really wanted to cruise this coming year but nobody is willing to make the necessary sacrifices to make this possible and now it makes even 2022 look tenuous.   Silly short sighted leaders and people of weak spirit.