USA Today - Exclusive: Cruise industry extends sailing suspension past CDC 'no-sail' order, until Oct. 31

-Lew-

Lew,

According to CLIA, Viking is not affiliated with that organization. When do you expect to hear about October cruises by Viking?

i still am unable to review shore excursions on the Lisbon to Miami October 18cruise.  The Chat tells me I will see it next week!

Crossing my fingers!!

29 minutes ago, jebbs said:

According to CLIA, Viking is not affiliated with that organization. When do you expect to hear about October cruises by Viking?

i still am unable to review shore excursions on the Lisbon to Miami October 18cruise.  The Chat tells me I will see it next week!

Interesting...  In checking the CLIA member list, I can't think of another cruise line that is not a member.  

Viking cancelled their September cruises around July 7th, so I'm thinking we should know about October very soon.  We've pretty much decided to cancel if Viking doesn't.  Very sad...we booked this cruise on August 28, 2019 and have been so looking forward to sailing.

Expect cancellations for the rest of the year and into 2021. Currently, many of us couldn’t board a ship without being quarantined 14 days. Once the flu season in the Fall adds another dimension, we will be in for a roller coaster ride. Even if there is a vaccine produced In record time (anyone taking bets there will be an announcement by hook or crook in the end of October!) billions of doses are needed worldwide. And the efficacy may not be 100%. How many times have you received the flu shot and still gotten the flu?!

For mental health reasons(!), we just booked leg first leg of the World Cruise for December 2021.  I am hopeful there will be cruising beginning next Summer. 

RB

22 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Interesting...  In checking the CLIA member list, I can't think of another cruise line that is not a member.  

Viking cancelled their September cruises around July 7th, so I'm thinking we should know about October very soon.  We've pretty much decided to cancel if Viking doesn't.  Very sad...we booked this cruise on August 28, 2019 and have been so looking forward to sailing.

The CLIA is mostly comprised of cruise lines with a focus on the US market. Although Viking is definitely an exception, as they don't follow industry norms.

Another few non-members are:

• Fred Olsen
  • Hurtigen
  • Saga
  • Hebridean
  • P&O Australia
  • Cruise & Maritime Voyages
  • Pullmanter
  • Saejet (owns old Oceana)

Lots more, but those are the ones I can think of without researching.

An interesting scenario arises the further this world goes into the pandemic. It is the cruise lines who are being exercised as to whether they could keep going into next year before cruising starts up in reality. I imagine they will continue to rid themselves of what ships are non-feasible -then re-jig cruises and perhaps finally have consider liquidation if no passengers forthcoming.

My bet is that before the end of the year there will be a sufficient 'core' of cruisers who will either have been vaccinated or have developed antibodies having already had it. If I were a cruise company I would be looking to those numbers falling into such a grouping to set sail even with limited numbers. [This assuming the CDC and equivalent authorities are assured sufficiently to give the OK]. 

We are due on November cruise from Barcelona to Argentina via Brazil and Senegal.  I do hope Viking just pull it now as there is no way they can be planning to take a vessel to either Africa or South America

• Like 1