Extension on Cruise Suspension

Coreysgrl06

30 minutes ago, Coreysgrl06 said:

CLIA has now extended the suspension until October 31st.

Edited to add link https://cruisecritic.com/news/5513/

I read a similar press release earlier today. The following paragraph gave me hope, though:

"CLIA cruise line members will continue to monitor the situation with the understanding that we will revisit a possible further extension on or before 30 September 2020
At the same time, should conditions in the U.S. change and it becomes possible to consider short, modified sailings, we would consider an earlier restart." So it's certainly possible that things could change and we could be sailing sooner.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I read a similar press release earlier today. The following paragraph gave me hope, though:

"CLIA cruise line members will continue to monitor the situation with the understanding that we will revisit a possible further extension on or before 30 September 2020
At the same time, should conditions in the U.S. change and it becomes possible to consider short, modified sailings, we would consider an earlier restart." So it's certainly possible that things could change and we could be sailing sooner.

That means on or before September 30 they will decide how much longer to extend the suspension. There won't be any sailing out of the US before October 31, and probably n ot for several months after that time.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, zqvol said:

That means on or before September 30 they will decide how much longer to extend the suspension. There won't be any sailing out of the US before October 31, and probably n ot for several months after that time.

Quoting you "and probably n ot for several months after that time." And you know this for a fact how? Do you have information to back up this claim or is it just a guess? Nothing wrong with guesses, by the way, but I hope people aren't thinking of canceling their already-booked cruises because you tell them they aren't happening. And you also mention there won't be any sailing out of the US until 10/31, how do you know this?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

So my oct cruise is gone, i officially have no cruises booked,  not unexpected didnt even book the flight yet. maybe ill try Feb. 

Yes..... February 2022

I was booked in April using 2 valid CruiseNext certificates, by the time  they cancelled that cruise,  my certificates had Now expired, but because they cancelled they let me apply them to a future cruise.  That cruise has now been cancelled.  This time they tell me they will not extend my CruiseNext certificates.  I used them when valid and NCL has cancelled (I did not cancel on my own) - anyone have any contacts at NCL that can help me on these?

• Like 1

Any one of us can make a guess at when they will resume just as easily as can the cruise lines and other organizations.  It is just not going to happen until the virus is contained to the point of cure or vaccine.  The virus seems to be getting worse at this time, here in the US and several other countries, rather than better.  When you see or hear of a definite resolution to this mess we're in, regardless of what date has been placed on paper at the moment, then you can start booking with certainty.  Otherwise, realistically expect one "official extension of no sail" after another, until chapter 11s begin to be announced.   Do I want that?  Hell no!  I am really, really missing cruising, but like it was before.   So also, for me at least, even though I don't see restricted cruises, social distancing, masks, limited or no  port stops happening, even if a few "practice cruises" like that were released, that's just not for me.  I can do all of that at home and a lot cheaper.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Quoting you "and probably n ot for several months after that time." And you know this for a fact how? Do you have information to back up this claim or is it just a guess? Nothing wrong with guesses, by the way, but I hope people aren't thinking of canceling their already-booked cruises because you tell them they aren't happening. And you also mention there won't be any sailing out of the US until 10/31, how do you know this?

I am having a difficult time understanding why you being so antagonistic toward posters who have a different view than you about when cruises will resume. How is it even reasonable to ask for 'facts' when you make wild pie-in-the-sky unrealistic predictions yourself on a consistent basis?

Quoting you "I am 100% sure that cruises will be back to normal" And you know this for a fact how?

dumbass3.JPG.08a20ab7f0cb4830d218d36e9aa0bf4e.JPG

And ....: "Sail for sure, no question in my mind". And you know this for a fact how? 1198021507_dumbass2.JPG.3d78818a361123b1479a691cecce8d34.JPG

And here: "I am confident in saying that NCL will get through this crisis just fine".... Again, if you are calling out others to produce facts, don't you think it's reasonable you do the same?

dumbshit.JPG.614159d800a2fa47e27aa2e7cb36941f.JPG

I've got all day :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, suze cruises with walt said:

I was booked in April using 2 valid CruiseNext certificates, by the time  they cancelled that cruise,  my certificates had Now expired, but because they cancelled they let me apply them to a future cruise.  That cruise has now been cancelled.  This time they tell me they will not extend my CruiseNext certificates.  I used them when valid and NCL has cancelled (I did not cancel on my own) - anyone have any contacts at NCL that can help me on these?

this is why i made the thread about how they need to let you get original form of payment,  they are keeping the same expire dates on fcc's.  so if they cancel 2 years from march , you get nothing. that is not right. if they cant honor the credit. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Any one of us can make a guess at when they will resume just as easily as can the cruise lines and other organizations.  It is just not going to happen until the virus is contained to the point of cure or vaccine.  The virus seems to be getting worse at this time, here in the US and several other countries, rather than better.  When you see or hear of a definite resolution to this mess we're in, regardless of what date has been placed on paper at the moment, then you can start booking with certainty.  Otherwise, realistically expect one "official extension of no sail" after another, until chapter 11s begin to be announced.   Do I want that?  Hell no!  I am really, really missing cruising, but like it was before.   So also, for me at least, even though I don't see restricted cruises, social distancing, masks, limited or no  port stops happening, even if a few "practice cruises" like that were released, that's just not for me.  I can do all of that at home and a lot cheaper.  

You're absolutely right, anyone can make a guess. I just happen to see things very differently from you, and just as you are entitled to your rather dismal forecast, I'm entitled to my more optimistic one. That's the beauty of this site, people don't all have to agree on everything. Also, predictions are VERY hard to get right with certainty. When cruising started winding down in the spring, many people even here on CC predicted that even European sailings wouldn't begin for a very long time. Well Tui, Hurtigruten, AIDA, and Ponant are restarting, in fact already have (not without issues, but they're still sailing). That's why I have a hard time believing outlandish predictions. They're so often wrong.

Edited by DCGuy64
Added more information about current sailings

Anyone working in the shipyards, will tell you how behind the schedules are building the new ships, it’s not financial, it’s designing new Safe working practices, this is on new builds, just imagine how difficult it is on working ships.

Covid-19 is creating financial, safe working problems in normal life, cruising is a luxury and comes bottom of the list for normal people, that are just surviving and trying to keep their family and friends safe.

• Like 1

From Cruise Industry News

"Outlining Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ roadmap for returning to service, CEO Frank Del Rio said on the company's second quarter earnings call that the earliest he envisions full deployment of the fleet would be in the second quarter of 2021." https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23344-norwegian-outlines-roadmap-for-returning-to-service.html

I suppose CC members will interpret this press release in sevearal ways. 

1) The Optimist Club: Oh good, this means some cruises will start sailing soon!

2) The Pessimists: Oh no, NCL won't have any ships sailing until spring of 2021.

3) The rational thinkers: The CEO of NCL has just announced that the "earliest" he visions full deployment is 2Q21, which means the process to resume cruising is going to be very long and drawn out. 

Time will tell, but my guess at a start up date is now fully dependent upon a vaccine. Most CEO's paint a rosy picture, so when DelRio says the 'earliest" is 2Q21, I suspect it might be delayed further.

Heck, the very first sailing of the 60 passneger UnCruise from Alaska has a positive case onboard.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

3) The rational thinkers: The CEO of NCL has just announced that the "earliest" he visions full deployment is 2Q21, which means the process to resume cruising is going to be very long and drawn out. 

Other than the possible restart date being repeatedly pushed back over the past couple of months, FDR has always stated that full deployment of the NCLH fleet would take several months to accomplish. The plans have always included a couple of ships at the start and then gradually ramping up from there. I don't see any change to that approach in today's announcement.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Other than the possible restart date being repeatedly pushed back over the past couple of months, FDR has always stated that full deployment of the NCLH fleet would take several months to accomplish. The plans have always included a couple of ships at the start and then gradually ramping up from there. I don't see any change to that approach in today's announcement.

I'm aware of the ramp up approach, but I do not recall FDR ever giving an estimated date for when he envisions full operations. Today he said the earliest he envisions full deployment is 8 months from now (the earliest 😞 ). Has he always been open about projecting an April 2021 date for full deployment? 

42 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

From Cruise Industry News

"Outlining Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ roadmap for returning to service, CEO Frank Del Rio said on the company's second quarter earnings call that the earliest he envisions full deployment of the fleet would be in the second quarter of 2021." https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23344-norwegian-outlines-roadmap-for-returning-to-service.html

I suppose CC members will interpret this press release in sevearal ways. 

1) The Optimist Club: Oh good, this means some cruises will start sailing soon!

2) The Pessimists: Oh no, NCL won't have any ships sailing until spring of 2021.

Time will tell, but my guess at a start up date is now fully dependent upon a vaccine. Most CEO's paint a rosy picture, so when DelRio says the 'earliest" is 2Q21, I suspect it might be delayed further.

Heck, the very first sailing of the 60 passneger UnCruise from Alaska has a positive case onboard.

Count me in group 3). I'm guessing next summer with a vaccine. JMHO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm aware of the ramp up approach, but I do not recall FDR ever giving an estimated date for when he envisions full operations. Today he said the earliest he envisions full deployment is 8 months from now (the earliest 😞 ). Has he always been open about projecting an April 2021 date for full deployment? 

He's always said it would be up to 6 months from first cruise to full fleet deployment. Originally he stated the start might be in late third quarter to early fourth quarter, but obviously that's out the window and the earliest now is mid to late fourth quarter. All that's  happened is the whole time line just got pushed off but the time it will take to progress from first ship to full fleet is about the same. Keep in mind that today is about two months until the earliest date a ship might sail, which is November 1, so the full time line is still 6 months from start to finish as it's been all along. The start and end dates have just been shifted a couple of months later than they originally were.

• Like 1

I don't know for sure, of course, but I would wager that the suspension will be pushed out into 2021. 

One month ago, on July 6th, there were 2.936 million cases of COVID-19 in the US. As of yesterday, August 5th, there were 4.824 million cases. 39% of the total coronavirus cases have been in the past 30 days alone.

Even Europe, which has a COVID-19 case count that's lower than the US, had a multitude of issues relaunching cruises. So it's not even just about reducing the numbers. 😩

Realistically, I just don't see cruises re-launching in earnest until there's a vaccine that has been widely disseminated. The good news is that vaccine is (hopefully) coming soon, and that makes me hopeful for 2021. I've written off 2020—and honestly, based on FDR's commentary, I think NCL has too.

Let's stay healthy and negative (COVID-negative 😄) hopefully we'll be back on ships next year. I know I need a vacation already.

Hang in there everyone. I can't wait until we're back cruising normally, and bickering over straws and lobster in the MDR. 

Edited by dcipjr
  • Like 4

Our October cruise on HAL is shot; I'll wait until they formally announce the cancellation before requesting a refund of the deposit. Our next cruise isn't until later 2022 and we're not going to make any other cruise plans until things become much clearer. Probably will take a non-cruise holiday or two next year instead.

• Like 1