Favorite Azamazing Evenings

laurieb

Having Lifted and Shifted our three October 2020 cruises to October 2021, I've started to think about the ports we're visiting and where our Azamazing Evenings might be.  Only listed for one cruise so far, In Valencia; same as we had a couple years ago, but it's one of my all time favorites!  I would love to hear, as I'm sure many others would too, your favorite eastern and Western Med Azamazing Evenings.

I think my all time favorite was in Sorrento; an entire park was reserved for us.  We had food and wine and wonderful local entertainment!

Edited by laurieb
  • Like 1

We went to a marvellous Abbey outside Sete last year.  We were entertained by professional singers who were outstanding and the lighting rig was one of the best I have ever enjoyed.  I will try and find photos

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uktog said:

We went to a marvellous Abbey outside Sete last year.  We were entertained by professional singers who were outstanding and the lighting rig was one of the best I have ever enjoyed.  I will try and find photos

I'd love to see photos!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Perpetuum Jazzile a cappella concert in Kotor's main square, with local wines, local cheeses and meats

Choral concert in what had been the hospital of the Knights of St. John in Valletta

Yes to both of these special events, which we were delighted to attend last summer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laurieb said:

Having Lifted and Shifted our three October 2020 cruises to October 2021, I've started to think about the ports we're visiting and where our Azamazing Evenings might be.  Only listed for one cruise so far, In Valencia; same as we had a couple years ago, but it's one of my all time favorites!  I would love to hear, as I'm sure many others would too, your favorite eastern and Western Med Azamazing Evenings.

I think my all time favorite was in Sorrento; an entire park was reserved for us.  We had food and wine and wonderful local entertainment!

We've done also the one in Sorrento in 2015 and it was just wonderful, one of the best we had. We also had a nice concert in Hobart, Tasmania, in 2018 followed by fireworks. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nordski said:

Agree about Perpetuum Jazille.

In our case we saw them at a large seaside bar/restaurant below the entrance to Koper, Slovenia.

Oops!  It was Koper, not Kotor.  Short walk from the ship to the lovely old town square.

Also in Koper is an excellent excursion where you have lunch with a local family.  We've done it twice, both times hosted by the man who put together the first Koper AzEve with Perpetuum Jazzile, his wife and her mother.  Came back to the ship stuffed, more than a bit drunk, and very happy.  Highly recommend.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Thanks Laurie for starting this thread. Hands down for atmosphere, the Odeon outdoor venue classical music performance in Ephesus as the sun set. 

Phil 

7311FA2D-8F3F-48CB-84B1-85C614D82FBA.jpeg

We were at Ephesus on the 1st occasion they held it there, the opening music was the Boccarini  Minuet which was used in the classic film The Lady Killers.

It made us smile, not sure if people around is realised why, whenever we hear that tune it takes us back to that wonderful evening.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Thanks Laurie for starting this thread. Hands down for atmosphere, the Odeon outdoor venue classical music performance in Ephesus as the sun set. 

Phil 

7311FA2D-8F3F-48CB-84B1-85C614D82FBA.jpeg

Like Bloodaxe we were there on the first occassion back in 2013. We did the second one the week after. Fantastic venue and a wonderful memory. A good #2 will have to be in the Ancient City in Bangkok.😀

• Like 1

This was another favourite our first ever Azamazing evening in Gibraltar where the Royal Military Band entertained us in the caves.  We were delighted to attend it a second time but devastated on our third visit last year to discover that a head office decision had booked a rock band from over the border in Spain even though the publicity still said it was the original format.  It was the most awful evening (never mind the cultural insensitivity of employing Spanish rather than local). 
So sometimes your best one year might not be your best next year (if we ever get these evenings again). 

10D5CAEB-882F-45DF-9B56-ED7DF91E4131.jpeg

F2425E20-6BBC-4EBD-A266-3F4711708C37.jpeg

• Like 1

Another evening we really enjoyed was in Dubrovnik old town in June last year, the Cellist Anna Bruckner gave a great performance.

Just has impressive to us was the amount of birds, Swallows, Swifts and Martin's wheeling around above the town.

They may not have been welcomed by the people dining outside the restaurant's but we were fascinated by them, never seen so many in one place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oddjob16 said:

Like Bloodaxe we were there on the first occassion back in 2013. We did the second one the week after. Fantastic venue and a wonderful memory. A good #2 will have to be in the Ancient City in Bangkok.😀

I did it in 2015 I think. Much as I've loved some of the performances it's been the venues that have stuck in my mind. 

I'm sure there are a few that have done the piano concert in Chania. One year we were disappointed that we were unable to tender there and docked in Souda. They had the same Bouzoukakhis (sp) concert at a different venue. A hotel right by the sea. They were able to add Greek dancing too and it was just a great evening and better than the one they held at the Chania mosque. 

So many good memories. These are hanging on my wall at home. They were painted at the Azamazing Evening in Montevideo by the delightful Japanese onboard artist Minori. So I guess that holds a special place too. 

Phil 

9F70D694-0A0D-4567-B91E-ECB30BD450C1.jpeg

CB4417AB-3093-466A-B03C-EC90EDCD4951.jpeg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Was just about to post the same, we’ve seen Ana Rucner in Dubrovnik twice fantastic show, second time it was so cold staff had to hand out blankets and hot drinks.

8360052D-0AF0-4CA1-8E02-A92E7B412FC2.thumb.jpeg.f605e0bb8d1eda9f310247fe32c31afe.jpeg

F7416F4A-2268-443F-B2B9-7486FF354BD6.MOV 84.29 MB · 0 downloads

I thought that I had got the name wrong, you are correct, great performer, ours was on a beautiful warm evening hence all the birds flying around

• Like 1

One of our most memorable AzAmazing Evenings was held aboard Journey during the fateful post refit cruise in February 2016 in StBarts. It was memorable for all the wrong reasons, everything that could go wrong went wrong, lights projected in the wrong place dancers knocking over tables on the pool deck the list goes on. Every time you saw Ryszard and Eric walking around the ship all they could say was “I’m so sorry”

D8F17C6F-4D93-48BA-8D99-2937ED755ABE.thumb.jpeg.25026adaaf26e0ee025e2373d488ec7d.jpeg

99030C20-5360-4528-95C4-F5AAC270CB97.thumb.jpeg.eae7c7cad122161c98086f11fb90dff0.jpeg

Edited by Riocca
  • Like 1

We loved the evening in Valencia. Having the Arts & Science center all to ourselves was wonderful, as was the varied entertainment. Hoping we’ll be able to sail on our 10/2021 Greece and Turkey cruise and finally experience Ephesus and the Azamazing Evening.

Thanks, LaurieB, for starting this thread.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the Riverdance Azamazing Evening in Dublin.  My husband came along begrudgingly and admitted afterwards he was glad he attended.

Our other two cruises had the Valencia Azamazing Evening, and we thought it was just okay--we skipped it the second time.  It was a very nice venue, though.

Looking forward to whatever we may experience on our Peru/Chile cruise in January 2022!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oulton Jim said:

Ours was the Son et Lumiere at the Pyramids. It was magical -until we saw cars head lights coming out of somewhere in the background! 

I noticed your name ‘Oulton Jim’, are you from Oulton?  We are in Blundeston.