Tui Cruises sailing again in Germany

As already known, the German Tui Cruises, a subsidiary of RCCL is the first large cruise line back at sea. Their two ships Mein Schiff 1 and Mein Schiff 2 offer short panoramic voyages from Germany to Norway without getting off in any port. Unfortunately, it turns out that the interest is not that great as expected. I found out that on the 4-day trip from Kiel to Oslo, which started last Monday, there are only about 1,000 passengers on board.  Normally, the ship could take about 3,000, and after reducing the capacity due to the situation, they could take 60% of that, so almost 1,800 passengers. 
I know that in the case of huge cruise ships the break even point is achieved even with only 30-40% occupancy, but is Mein Schiff 1 one of those ships? With only about 30% occupancy on this trip, will Tui Cruises be able to cover the cost at all? Especially since there is no additional income from shore excursions and shuttle services, and I suppose that on such a short cruise people do not have enough time to use many extra paid attractions on board either.

at least they are back in business, thats more than all other lines can say.

now they are running 7 day tours, planned to Norway, unfortunately Norway has blocked the 12 miles zone to all cruiseships

so the ships goes to "the Schären" and Finland now

24948-90a173ed-34d2-47fc-85b3-7d6d9b2dab7e-jpeg

24941-9b801178-852e-491f-93bb-284321ea6dc6-jpeg

7 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

now they are running 7 day tours, planned to Norway, unfortunately Norway has blocked the 12 miles zone to all cruiseships

so the ships goes to "the Schären" and Finland now

I know and I must admit that I am impressed with the good logistics in Tui Cruises.  Norway refused in the last moment, and yet Tui found alternative destinations to provide some nice views, and not only sail the open sea. I assume that it was not easy to get necessary approvals and find pilots for 2 huge ships for arrival in Stockholm and Turku in such a short time and in such an extraordinary situation. 
By the way, if I may ask, are those your own photos? Are you now on board, on one of the Mein Schiffs? 

24 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

Got it from a friend, I'll be on MS 1 end of the Month.

Hopefully to Norway then...

I'll write a short report if there is interest here...

Have a wonderful cruise. And if you will find a moment for a short report, or maybe you will have some nice photos, I'll be grateful.

I saw this morning on MyShipTracking that MS1 and MS2 were playing around together near from Turku in Finland.  It must have looked great when they were so close together.  I wish I could be there and see it. In my opinion, family meetings like this are great and should be much more frequent, but unfortunately, under normal conditions, cruise lines don’t want to waste fuel and time for such things.

5C1764FC-7A16-4450-AD77-7301C20E2CC3.thumb.jpeg.9d095cb3a379da69d47857d5c993c8eb.jpeg

This was the sec time the've done that.

on the first cruise  there was a meeting of MS 1 to 4 - all in a row on high see….

this time there is a (partial drone) video available on FB from meyer shipyard turku

Edited by MarkusToe

On 8/11/2020 at 4:15 PM, MarkusToe said:

Got it from a friend, I'll be on MS 1 end of the Month.

Hopefully to Norway then...

I'll write a short report if there is interest here...

There is interest!!  Please do report.

Thanking you in advance.  Have a wonderful cruise!

We have the panoramic suite on Deck 6. As for now, we do not know where we are going to.

Booked ist Norway, p.e.Geiranger, but unfurtunately Norway has blocked there Waters to Cruise ships.

The actual Cruise goes to Finland and sweden....lets see.....

Hi @MarkusToe,

would you mind, dropping me a direct message? The feature is disabled for me but I hope I could reply to yours.

You are writing you have booked a MeinSchiff 1 cruise at the end of August. Is this the "Blaue Reise" from Kiel on August 28th? I am thinking of the same trip, but still waiting where exactly it will cruise to.

5 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

yep on this cruise to ???? nobody knows actually….

direct message is disabled….

Not finally decided yet but probably yes.

Having holidays and already on my way to Kiel.

And simply missing cruise ship holidays.

But also unsure whether seven days without a stop won't become too boring - Norway would have brought at least some scenic views. Are Stockholm's "Schären" really comparable?

Apart from that never have been on a MeinSchiff and eager to explore them. Thought it might be a good possibility now while they don't sail with full capacity.

8 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

so,  decision from TUIC

Norway is out. Route goes to Stockholm and Schären

Schären are some small islands, some trees on it, that's it.

By far not comparable with Norway

Looks like we will go…..

I wonder when TUIC will update their website...

Hey Markus,

I booked the cruise now as well - nearly. I switched to the one on Mein Schiff 2 from and to Hamburg. I thought this may be slightly more interesting as sailing from the North Sea into the Baltic Sea around Denmark.

Although we might not see anything at all from the shore we get to see the sailing out of Hamburg and maybe the crossing under one of the Great Belt bridges if it doesn't happen in the middle of the night 🙂

Please enjoy your cruise as much as we will do - and wave over from Mein Schiff 1 in Stockholm 😉

Hello everybody,

I just finished my one week "Blaue Reise" cruise with TUI Cruises "Mein Schiff 2" from and to Hamburg.

Our disembarkation slot was from 8:30 to 9:00. We actually left the ship, which was docked at Steinwerder Cruise Terminal at around 8:40 - and managed to catch a train from Hamburg Central Station at 9:24 (!). As perfectly as the disembarkation and transfer process was organised, so was the whole cruise. We definitely enjoyed it - it was our first cruise with TUI Cruises after already knowing Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and MSC.

Of course we would have liked it to sail to the norwegian fjords. This had not been possible due to well-known circumstances. The alternate programme with Sweden's "Schären" and the short visit to Stockholm's "old harbour" and through Finland's "Schären" next to Turku have been very nice - as has been the whole time on the ship.

We met with TUI Cruises "Mein Schiff 1" in Stockholm and again near Turku.

I don't want to write a full cruise report but I am open to answer all of your questions - as far as I can. 🙂

• Like 1