Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
jxtgreek

November 30th dilemma

Recommended Posts

Hoping someone could offer some advice.  We were originally on Radiance out of Port Canaveral on 11/30, then got switched to the Breeze.  I have a final payment due on 8/30 for $500.  My wife already said she isn't going on this cruise and wants me to cancel it.  Should I wait, pay the final balance and see if Carnival cancels for me or should I just cancel now.  I liked the extra $200 they gave us when we were moved to the Breeze plus I had another $200 from a promotion that I know I will lose if I did the canceling.  By waiting and seeing if Carnival does the canceling there is the prospect of that additional $600 OBC for a future cruise.  I know in the end it's just money.  Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go ahead and make the final payment. It is 100 percent likely they will cancel November, probably on 8/31 or a few days into September. LOL. Assess the Covid situation when they do cancel and then make a decision to rebook or just get a refund and call it a day. If Covid is still a problem with cases similar to now take the refund. If cases are falling and some small cruise lines are sailing without problems then take the FCC/OBC and rebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d do what your wife has asked you to do.  Cancel and forget about all the potential deals you may get in the future.  Preserve marital harmony and think about another cruise in the future when planning is more certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should pay the final balance and let Carnival cancel, if necessary.  That way you will get a much better deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I’d do what your wife has asked you to do.  Cancel and forget about all the potential deals you may get in the future.  Preserve marital harmony and think about another cruise in the future when planning is more certain.

Or find a new wife. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Or find a new wife. 😉

 

Which would be a costlier proposition than having made final payment.

 

😏

Edited by evandbob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to be greedy. It may come back to bite you if Carnival actually sails in November like the company is suggesting.

 

If you know you aren’t going due to personal reasons, just take what you’ve been given as a goodwill gesture and cancel the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter what I would do.

 

If she wants you to cancel, cancel.  It would just be a stupid cruise anyway (if it sails which is .00000001% chance) with masks and distancing and all kinds of crazy rules....very unenjoyable.

 

She sounds smart!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you know you aren't going, why not make final payment and let Carnival camcel. With the FCC, you can reschedule and have a paid off cruise and extra OBC waiting for your for 2021 or 2022. Of course, if this would be a financial hardship, then don't do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can ask to have your final payment date moved closer to your cruise. They may say no, but they do say yes sonetimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jxtgreek said:

 

Hoping someone could offer some advice.  We were originally on Radiance out of Port Canaveral on 11/30, then got switched to the Breeze.  I have a final payment due on 8/30 for $500. 

 

My wife already said she isn't going on this cruise and wants me to cancel it. 

 

Should I wait, pay the final balance and see if Carnival cancels for me or should I just cancel now.  I liked the extra $200 they gave us when we were moved to the Breeze plus I had another $200 from a promotion that I know I will lose if I did the canceling.  By waiting and seeing if Carnival does the canceling there is the prospect of that additional $600 OBC for a future cruise.  I know in the end it's just money.  Any suggestions?

 

 

 

20200806-112318.jpg

 

 

 

✌️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am with those who say to cancel.  If your wife has already said no, then there is no reason to tie up more money in hopes that they cancel.  I was in a similar situation for our September cruise.  I waited until the day before our final payment was due and then called and cancelled.  I had the deposit transferred to a cruise we already had booked for next year.  That was on a Friday.  On that following Monday, Carnival cancelled all September cruises.  I was surprised when I received an email from Carnival about the offers I could take, but then I noticed this little note:  "Carnival will honor this offer for any guests who were previously booked on these voyages and cancelled their booking on or after March 6, 2020."  Not sure this will continue to be the case, but it was for us.  I didn't know this prior to cancelling, but I was not going to tie up another $1,400 in a cruise that my wife had no intention of taking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked the information on the website about the most recent cancellations.  The clause is included again. "Carnival will honor this offer for any guests who were previously booked on voyages departing October 31, 2020 or prior and canceled their booking on or after March 6, 2020."  Again, that's no guarantee they will continue to do that with future cancellations, but they did again for this round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband and I went through this with our Oct 11th sailing. In our case, we'd already paid it off and decided we weren't going to sail no matter what due to Covid and travel-to-the-port concerns. So, we both decided to gamble and just see which way the wind blew, hanging on to the booking until either Carnival canceled or we ate the cost of the cruise at the end. Carnival canceled everything up to Oct 31 yesterday, so our bet paid off.

 

No question, it's a gamble. If I were in your shoes, I would probably pay it off ON final payment day and cross my fingers Carnival cancels through November. Most people are saying this isn't over (and I believe it's not), so everything as far as cruising goes is extremely shaky for the rest of this year. I doubt our February cruise goes, honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shakespeare says 'cousin' rhymes with 'husband'.

 

Take it from there.

 

gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruise is November 1st, 14 day out of Galveston. Is the $600 OBC for the future, only if they cancel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The final payment is now about 30 days instead of 90 days, but your cruise will be cancelled anyway so wait for the $600 OBC.


Sent from my iPad using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were facing the same issue for our October sailing. Some people in our part HAD to cancel due to work. We all went ahead and canceled before the final payment, so we would only be out of $67 each IF Carnival did not cancel. Of course they canceled the next week. But the refund form said that they honor a full refund for anyone who canceled on or after March 6th. So filled out the form and assumed I will get the entire deposit refunded now.

 

But IF, Carnival does not cancel for whatever reason, then you are out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Nov. 30 sailing on the Liberty has gone up over $200 in price since I booked. Could this be an indication of the cruise sailing? I was hoping it would be cancelled to receive the refund since i'm still hesitant to cruise. I booked back in May with the hope that the current situation would be over by then. (I know, silly me lol)

 

Does the jump in price mean nothing and chances still high that it will cancel? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kitten816 said:

Cruise is November 1st, 14 day out of Galveston. Is the $600 OBC for the future, only if they cancel?

That cruise is not happening. Itinerary too long and visits too many countries.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...