Why do you cruise ???

Hi All...   Why do you like / want to go on a cruise :-    Is it ....

Going new places

Don't having to unpack and repack

Being at Sea

Don't like flying

Like having everything done for you.

Relaxing.

Meeting new people

Sitting back and hotel takes you to different places

Or some other reason ?

To us basically all of the above.

Cheers Don

6 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Going new places

Being at Sea

Don't like flying

Relaxing.

Meeting new people

Or some other reason ?

Cheers Don

You pretty much said it up at the end. 'ALL' (some of the items on the list, much more than the others, but all were important, to a lesser degree. To myself and my wife we love the the ship, Sea days, being spoiled by the crew, sitting on the balcony watching the sea. the specialty resturants and even the food in the MDR and Buffet. While we've met a few boorish folks, they'd make up maybe about the same number on one hand and out of 15 cruises that is a small fraction. 

Mac

The right cruise - meaning size of ship, itinerary, quality of food, service and entertainment - is a great way to spend a week or a few -- mass market lines generally do not make it -- except for Cunard's QM2, as a way of crossing the Atlantic, so not really a cruise.  Most lines have evolved to the point of no longer being tempting.

Entertainment is a huge reason that we love cruises, we been doing music charters and love all the live music in one place we have seen America, BJ Thomas, Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs, Air Supply , Todd Rundgren, Rita Coolidge and countless others love talking to them in bars , elevators , suite lounges etc . 

I cruise mainly because it is a pleasant way to visit new places. I do both land travel and cruising, and I enjoy both. While land travel is obviously more in depth, there are some places that lend themselves to cruising, and it is very pleasant to be on board a ship, watch the waves slip by, enjoy a sunset on deck with drink in hand...

• Like 1

Why did I cruise - 

1) Super relaxing way to travel especially during sea days

2) I liked the idea of the resort moving rather than me to visit places

3) Incredible value proposition

4) Gave you a small taste of many different interesting locations

5) Social aspects of meeting people on board

6) All in one aspect - entertainment, dining, recreation, ..

Hopefully cruising will return in a somewhat similar fashion in the future.

I cruise because I love being at sea on a floating resort.  I love the entertainment, dining, service, and relaxation associated with cruising.  Some might scowl at mass market lines as proven on this thread, but I love the big mass market ships because they provide options.  You can relax with soft music and glass of wine, or dance all night with a bucket of beers if you choose.  Either way, retreating to my balcony room and watching the ocean go by is one of my favorite things.  Oh, and putting my cell phone in the safe for the week.  I force myself to disconnect while on a cruise.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Going new places

Being at Sea

Don't like flying

Relaxing.

Meeting new people

Or some other reason ?

Cheers Don

My first cruise was in 1973 and that was something different.

When I joined CC in 2008 I began meeting CC regulars on cruises and that was fun.I have met 5 people who are regulars on these boards.

Later on cruising enabled me to meet people from places all over the world and many have become good friends.

• Like 2

When I first started cruising in 1980 with friends, it was definitely for the party factor and new Caribbean places. Into the 90’s and 2000’s, it was introducing my daughters to cruising, but still sticking pretty close to home (Caribbean and Mexico)....after I retired in 2010 and started cruising solo, I was all about longer cruises to different continents. I love the fact that I can jump on a ship for 20-30 days, see so many new countries and only have to unpack once.

• Like 1

1) My wife insists that we cruise and she does not want to go on long (>30 day) land trips which is what I prefer.  

2) There are places that you can only reasonably get to by ship such as islands or very isolated land areas.  For example, a couple of years ago I did a 21 day cruise to the Falklands and to S Georgia Island.  That is a hard trip to do in any other way except by ship.

No other reasons.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

DW and I primarily cruise because we love the sea!  All that other stuff (itineraries, the ship, entertainment, etc) are icing on the cake.  We are both suffering from Acute Cruising Withdrawal and have not found a reliable treatment.  We have had the cruise lines cancel 3 cruises this year (totally 74 days) and just today we made a decision to change a 14 day December booking to a similar itinerary in Oct 2021 (we could move our deposit with no penalty).  

By the way, the reason we decided to change that Dec booking is a bit different.  It was a MSC cruise that might happen and was scheduled for disembarkation on Dec 19.  While we would have been willing to take our chances on that cruise (if it happens) we would not gamble with the chance of being quarantined for Christmas/New Years.  We finally listened to our own advice (which I have posted here on CC) that anyone booking a cruise in the next 6 months (and possibly longer) needs to think of alternative plans if their cruise lasts 2 weeks longer due to COVID-19 quarantine orders.  

Hank

13 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Going new places

Being at Sea

Don't like flying

Relaxing.

Meeting new people

Or some other reason ?

Cheers Don

1)  Going places that you can't get anyway else:  Alaska comes to mind

2) An schedule not possible anyother way ( 7 days-4 places, 14 days-10 places ) 

I guess that is the unpack/pack, hotel takes me places 

3) Perks of three meals a day ( not worrying where/what when ), entertainment set...  

Eat, walk/relax, Eat, nap-pool, tea - Eat - Show... but even that can't be very satisfying more than a couple times every year.

Itinerary first... but I do love wandering round inside a massive ship, which I don't seem to do so much in a massive hotel.

At the moment, having been in lock down for months, and now only going out for essential items, I'd like to be on a cruise ship so that I don't have to constantly think about planning/ preparing/ cooking constant meals. 

15 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Going new places

Being at Sea

Don't like flying

Relaxing.

Meeting new people

Or some other reason ?

Cheers Don

Because it's much easier than swimming to each port. 😄 (Sorry. Couldn't resist it.) Actually, all of the above.

• Haha 1

As a teenager when I initially began to acquire my desire to cruise by reading advertisements and ads in magazines like Holiday, those ads promoted a lifestyle that I aspired to have.  Visiting the R.M.S. Queen Mary on sailing day cemented that desire into a "I have to do this" mind set.  My Mother provided "fertilizer" to that desire when she took my Brother and me on a week-end cruise from Detroit on the Georgian Bay Line steamer S. S. South American booking a bedroom on that ship (which the best accommodation that was available as I recall).

Why do I now cruise?  The answer is complex.  I cruise because I love being at sea.  I cruise because it such a different change of pace and living conditions that I normally experience.  While itinerary used to be important, it is less so now.  More important are the people whom I meet on the ship--guests as well as crew--who help make that trip "special".  I would never have believed when I first logged onto CC many years ago and joined my first Roll Call, with many others to follow, that I would have found friends with whom I have sailed with since and remain in frequent touch.  Friends who are international and from whom I have learned so much.  Even many of those people whom I fleetingly meet on a short cruise such as I did in January on MSC Meraviglia and on the Eurodam have provided reasons why I want to cruise more.  

Cuisine, entertainment, the ship's facilities, the decor of the vessel, the atmosphere aboard:  are these important to me?  All make a contribution to my evaluation of that cruise experience.  But, what is most important to me after all of these years?  

When I sail, what I am doing is fulfilling a "dream" that this teenager had so many years ago.  And, while cruising in 2020 is different (and probably will be beyond for some time to come), the sea, the magnificent night time sky, and the adventure of doing "something different from yesterday" remains.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

As a teenager when I initially began to acquire my desire to cruise by reading advertisements and ads in magazines like Holiday, those ads promoted a lifestyle that I aspired to have.  Visiting the R.M.S. Queen Mary on sailing day cemented that desire into a "I have to do this" mind set.  My Mother provided "fertilizer" to that desire when she took my Brother and me on a week-end cruise from Detroit on the Georgian Bay Line steamer S. S. South American booking a bedroom on that ship (which the best accommodation that was available as I recall).

Why do I now cruise?  The answer is complex.  I cruise because I love being at sea.  I cruise because it such a different change of pace and living conditions that I normally experience.  While itinerary used to be important, it is less so now.  More important are the people whom I meet on the ship--guests as well as crew--who help make that trip "special".  I would never have believed when I first logged onto CC many years ago and joined my first Roll Call, with many others to follow, that I would have found friends with whom I have sailed with since and remain in frequent touch.  Friends who are international and from whom I have learned so much.  Even many of those people whom I fleetingly meet on a short cruise such as I did in January on MSC Meraviglia and on the Eurodam have provided reasons why I want to cruise more.  

Cuisine, entertainment, the ship's facilities, the decor of the vessel, the atmosphere aboard:  are these important to me?  All make a contribution to my evaluation of that cruise experience.  But, what is most important to me after all of these years?  

When I sail, what I am doing is fulfilling a "dream" that this teenager had so many years ago.  And, while cruising in 2020 is different (and probably will be beyond for some time to come), the sea, the magnificent night time sky, and the adventure of doing "something different from yesterday" remains.  

I have met people on cruises that went to the same schools as me in the same years that I did not know before.

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have met people on cruises that went to the same schools as me in the same years that I did not know before.

As I have experienced as well.  I have asked myself many times in recent years:  Where were you?  Where were those people?  

Regardless, I am thankful to "make a connection" with a fellow alum.  Being able to do so does add another positive memory to that cruise experience.