Vancouver Motel

cruiser1949

My wife and I are planning an Alaska cruise a year from now with our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter.  Does anyone know of a motel in Vancouver that will pick you up at the airport then take you to the pier the following day?

Hi,  We are trying the Pan Pacific which sits right on the pier of the ships.  This is our 4th trip out of Vancouver and thought it would be nice to stay the night then drag our bags to the ship.

Very reasonable pricing and in the heart of the Vancouver waterfront.

2 hours ago, loungelady55 said:

Hi,  We are trying the Pan Pacific which sits right on the pier of the ships.  This is our 4th trip out of Vancouver and thought it would be nice to stay the night then drag our bags to the ship.

Another good place to ask your question is the Ports Of Call forum...https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/23-canada-alaskapacific-coastal/

3 hours ago, loungelady55 said:

They actually take your bags from the hotel. 

We have stayed at the Holiday  Inn  Vancouver  Airport Richmond on Cambie Rd. We just needed a place to sleep. The hotel has a free airport shuttle. The hotel offered a cruise package of a room, breakfast, and transfer to the port. We were pleasantly  surprised  that the transfer to ship was vía a taxi. We gave the driver a tip but the package picked up the taxi fare. The hotel has an on site restaurant. Our incoming  flight  was late and we appreciated  the restaurant  where we could have a light bite and beer. You are not downtown Vancouver  but if you just need a nice hotel for the  night I'd suggest this one.

Holiday Inn Vancouver airport in Richmond offers a reasonably priced cruise package including ground transportation from the airport and to the pier. Breakfast included. Hotel is not located close to anything so not the best option if you want to see Vancouver

There are many hotels near the airport and like most cities the competitiveness of airport business travelers and being away from downtown make this cheaper than downtown.   The downside is you are not downtown.  

There is an inexpensive light rail to downtown so that's what I generally do... save money staying near the airport, spend a little to get downtown.  Still a lot cheaper than staying downtown.

In Canada, a motel is a basic accommodation lodging minimum service connected with driving yourself to the place. If you are flying in, most people will pick/stay at a hotel. 

Lot of time to research since the port will be closed for this year. Do not take the current hotel pricing to be normal. Downtown brand name hotel are very expensive during the normal summer holiday season. Anything walking distance to the port is premium expensive. 

49 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Great suggestion! I wish cruise critic required learning how to use forms before posting.

Don't worry about the questions you ask and where some people on here are just a PIA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strathcona said:

In Canada, a motel is a basic accommodation lodging minimum service connected with driving yourself to the place. If you are flying in, most people will pick/stay at a hotel. 

Lot of time to research since the port will be closed for this year. Do not take the current hotel pricing to be normal. Downtown brand name hotel are very expensive during the normal summer holiday season. Anything walking distance to the port is premium expensive. 

Yes, I would not consider the Pan Pacific or Marriott as a Motel..

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Great suggestion! I wish cruise critic required learning how to use forms before posting.

Some members have difficulty navigating the sheer number of these boards. There are literally hundreds of boards here. 

A little grace goes a long way...

• Like 4

Solid info so far - but even without whatever changes are caused by Covid, local hotels that offer cruise specific packages have been disappearing over the last few years. So even the specific hotels mentioned above as providing a shuttle or cab to the pier, double-check directly with the hotels before you book. You would be best advised to forget about finding a hotel with trasnport to both port and airport, as there are none with their own shuttles which do this - so even the folks offering it are 100% dependent on another company for transportation, i.e. why not just book your own seats on the shuttle bus? Cabs will not work for you here - unless you take two vehicles. You'd need a limo or large SUV to seat 5 of you with luggage - there might be larger vehicles on Uber/Lyft at the time you will be here, but no cab company will prebook more than 4 seaters unless you have a disabled party member, and virtually all the bigger cabs in the city are minivans primarily designed for carrying wheelchairs (i.e. the middle bench seats are removed to make room, resulting in only 1x 3 seater rear bench and a single seat up front for a max of 4pax). I've seen literally two 6-pax taxi minivans  in almost a decade of living here.

While there are a couple of motels that you could describe as being downtown, including one right in the core, these 'hipster' joints are neither cheap nor practical (they seem to revel in being original construction, with paper-thin walls and crappy old elevators, and basically slap trendy decor and pod coffee machines on top of old bones). Actually-cheap motels are out in the 'burbs - and while we do have one genuinely interesting historic motel left (the 2400, one of the now-very-rare 'cottage' motels with many small buildings instead of the two-storey external-staircase single building type that is far more common) unless you have visited Vancouver before and would rather focus on off-the-beaten track exploration than hit the tourist highlights, the location would be a poor choice.

With a younger generation along to help with bags, I'd agree that a hotel near the airport that you can use the Canada Line SkyTrain to get downtown is a sensible choice - but given you have 5 people, the perfect choice is the YWCA Hotel which offers 5-bed rooms! It's not just the best-value hotel in the city, it's right in the heart of the city - better located by literally miles than any other hotel that even comes close to their pricing - you can walk around all of the popular downtown sites from it, have plenty of restos available, and if you want to pinch even more pennies they have huge kitchens with lots of equipment so you can easily cook your own full meals in so prepping a cheap picnic lunch would be super-easy.

if you just can't bring yourselves to 'stay at the Y' regardless of how well-reviewed it is, then I'd point you to the condo hotels like Rosedale on Robson or Times Square Suites for similar multiple beds and your own kitchen - or the Sylvia mentioned above, which has a couple of big suites that they don't list on their website. I believe one of them sleeps 5 or 6 in 2 bedrooms and a sofabed - while not as cheap as the Y, she's a lovely old hotel that has gone through significant renos in the last couple of years, including all-new piping.

Vancouver finally has Uber so for my money I'd just pick the hotel you want to stay at and use Uber to for transport. You'll pay a hotel premium for their transfer service and Uber is way more convenient.  Take two Uber's or Uber XL

I'd recommend either Executive Hotel's downtown locations.  I have regularly stayed in their Whistler location and had friends stay in both their downtown locations.  Service is excellent, rooms are always immaculate and you can usually get a decent price.  For my money this 4 star hotel beats the doors off anything in the downtown core.  They are just the right blend of luxury and value to satisfy. Their two downtown locations are all walking distance to everything you want to be near for a day in Vancouver.  Just minutes to Canada place cruise ship terminal and Gastown walking.  Robson St. and the Granville entertainment district is within walking distance also but a little bit more of a walk. I'd Uber, especially if you'll be drinking.

From the Exchange location you could walk to the cruise terminal easily if you had decently rolling luggage.  Skytrain (light rapid transit) is just a 350 yard walk taking  you to anywhere in the greater Vancouver area within 45 minutes. As @twangster noted you could even take skytrain from YVR to your hotel without any trouble if you don't mind taking luggage onto the transit system.

People have recommended the Pan Pacific.  I don't. While the location for the cruise can't be beat there are many other options that offer far better value. I have stayed there for an anniversary several years ago and left disappointed.  The two I recommended are only a small sampling.

Use Uber and open up your options, I promise you won't regret it.

Edited by Tree_skier

• 4 months later...

I found the Hyatt in Vancouver ideal. I walked from there to my ship and the location didn't have too many bums hanging around (I say this as an LA native).

I also have stayed at Hostel International Central which was by far the worst hostel I've ever stayed at (you may like it if you like the smell of urine though), but easy walk to the terminal. I'm not that picky with lodging but I do want it to be clean and safe. Lots of bums hanging out in front due to the location.

I've also stayed before at the Barclay for a cruise that I booked last minute as few places were available at a reasonable price . Was no thrills, but an easy bus ride to the terminal. 

• 4 months later...

We stayed at the Executive Hotel Vintage Park.  https://vancouverdowntownhotel.net/ in 2016.  If the price was right, I would stay again.

Decent hotel, reasonable at the time.  We walked to waterfront (about 4 blocks) took the ferry to Granville Island.  Walked to Olympic village, all around the area.  easy walk to food.  We were on the "list" for the shuttle to the pier for our cruise.  LOTS of others were also waiting.  We typically are way early for everything, so as a cab was dropping people off at the hotel, we asked if he had another fare waiting, upon hearing no, we removed ourselves from the shuttle list and he took us to the pier.  With all the processes we normally do before a cruise, even after you have checked in online, we liked getting there early.  Cab ride was about 10 minutes, and so easy.  I honestly dont remember how we got to the hotel from the airport.