FLIGHT VOUCHER ?

Ashland

If I purchase an international flight with DL and their using KLM and I have to cancel or reschedule the flight will I be able to get/ use it to book another flight with DL domestic.

And what happens if the flight I re-book is a lot less...will another voucher be issued ? Sorry this may seem a bit confusing...just trying to decide the what if scenarios....

before I book LAX-AMS and then need to possibly change it to LAX-EWR ...crazy I know...Thanks so much if you're able to try and answer this.

Whomever you bought the ticket from, that's who you deal with in terms of refunds/credits and the like.  It's a DL ticket, so you are bound by those fare rules, including the appropriate cancellation rules for your ticket purchase date and travel date.

In general (and note that's not all cases), if you have a credit for X dollars and your new ticket is X less Y, you may or may not receive another credit for the value of Y.  In all cases of another credit, any new "balance" credit will still have the same rules as the original credit, including expiration of value. (Otherwise, people could get around expirations dates and the rest by rolling over credits again and again.)  Be aware - there are some credits that must be used in full at one time, and have no residual value if used for a less expensive ticket.  In addition, some credits can be combined with others in a single purchase, other cannot.

Here's a story about combination issues:

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-airlines-replaces-flight-vouchers-with-electronic-credits-but-theres-a-catch/

Like so many things, there is no one set, hard and fast rule.  You will need to see the specifics for DL's refund/credit policy, AS IT APPLIES to your specific flight purchase.

And we won't even get into the issues of credits on consolidator tickets.

You are quite welcome.

I often go into greater "scope" on some answers, figuring that other readers may have similar (yet different) questions/situations.  And I don't want people jumping to the assumption that one particular set of circumstances applies to everyone.

The general rule, if any is:  Read the airline's fare rules for the ticket you are buying, and especially nowdays, read and process the airline's CURRENT cancellation policy, and be sure to save and print the rules applicable on the date of purchase.  An airline might make them more liberal, but you have a record of what they were at the time of purchase.  And that's part of the contract of your ticket.

For your case, with Delta, know that they are one of the better USA carriers in terms of their cancellation credit policies. In general, both AA and UA have been in a catch-up mode to try to stay somewhat competitive with DL.

• Thanks 2