Family cruise recommendation

eliana

My wife and I are regular cruisers, mainly on Regent and Seabourn. Next July we will be celebrating an 80th birthday and want to arrange a cruise for all our children and grandchildren ranging in age from 10 to 18. We all live in the UK. What cruise line would anyone recommend? We would prefer UK or European based, preferably one week but no more than a fortnight.

16 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

If you are accustomed to Regent and Seabourn, the larger family ships may not be to your liking. As already said, I would try you travel agent to get some ideas.

Reasonable post:  who is the cruise for?  Would you enjoy a mass market ship carrying thousands anywhere near as much as your young grandchildren would enjoy ANY ship - even if it did not offer all the rides, games and noise?

2 hours ago, George C said:

Larger rccl ships have loads of family entertainment, ice shows , aqua show also carousel.

Agree, for family cruises with youngsters RCI is a good choice.  But (there is always a "but", haha), you don't need one of the mega sized ships.   Ships that are considered smaller by today's standards would work well.  

Whatever you decide, enjoy!    

Royal Caribbean has (at leastpre-COVID) many cruises from Southampton to both the Canary Islands and the Western Med. I think those would be nice for your grand kids.  The 10 - 18 demographic would be perfect on Royal as it is a bit more active than Disney.  I would pick a time when the weather is likely to be good as the kids will certainly enjoy the pool and other outdoor actives.  Also, I did the Western Med trip in summer from Southampton when my kids were of similar age to what you suggest and there will likely be many other kids for them to befriend on board. Finally, realize the experience will be completely different than Regent and Seabourn as they appeal to a completely different demographic.

The brand new Iona is waiting to take her first cruise for P&O, which should have happened this spring  ...  it would be ideal for a family group. P&O is used mainly by UK  passengers, is comfortable and the large ships are family friendly.... and there's no tipping.  🙂

My wife and I are regular cruisers, mainly on Regent and Seabourn. Next July we will be celebrating an 80th birthday and want to arrange a cruise for all our children and grandchildren ranging in age from 10 to 18. We all live in the UK. What cruise line would anyone recommend? We would prefer UK or European based, preferably one week but no more than a fortnight.

Definitely Carnival.

On ALL our Carnival cruises, my child has been out of sight having the time of his life from 7 a.m. till 1 a.m.

For a pre or post COVID cruise, all good suggestions.  For a cruise during the pandemic, no way would I bring a family on board any ship.

2021 may be too early to sail safely, depends on vaccines and possible cures.  Sorry, just being realistic.

24 minutes ago, evandbob said:

2021 may be too early to sail safely, depends on vaccines and possible cures.  Sorry, just being realistic.

I agree

Ships departing the USA   will be  not sailing  anytime soon

But maybe  Europe or the UK  will  have  the virus  under control by next  summer

• 3 months later...

Anthem is sailing out of Southampton the next two summers, and it is a nice mix of elegance and activities for all ages.  We were booked on the 9-day Norwegian cruise in June 2021, but moved it to 2020 as we will be moving next summer and cannot make the cruise.  

• 3 weeks later...

Please talk to a TA who knows more about you, your family, and your expectations.  The difference between Seabourn  and Regent vs MSC or Carnival in regards to level of service, food, ambiance, everything is like the difference between a transatlantic flight on a private jet vs. Ryan Air.  I recommend you inquire about booking your group in to the Haven or Enclave sequestered  First class area on some of the newer mega ships. Have a great trip!