Which and why help please?

Werangels

I am looking at transferring our deposit and OBC as well as taking advantage of the $500 OBC offer on certain cruises for 2021.  I am specifically looking at the Mediterranean cruises departing end August - October inclusive.  We only took our first cruise last year and I know no one knows what the future holds from a virus perspective or how Azamara will fare or look in our new world.  So, which cruise would you chose and why?  What are the stand-out ports and/or experiences that would sway your choice between the different cruises on offer please?  They all have pluses and minuses for us; so your experience is invaluable to us.  I am not interested in the Black Sea itineraries; too expensive.  

Thank you all.

Edited by Werangels

Our first Med cruise was a smorgasbord from Barcelona around the Riviera to Amalfi and back to Rome – it was a great introduction to the Med and to cruising, but we concluded that we prefer to focus more deeply on one area at a time, and country-intensive cruises are Azamara's strong suit.  In the months you specify, I would gravitate to the Spain-intensive itineraries (Sep. 8 or Sep. 19) and particularly to Sep. 8 which sails up the river to downtown Seville [something the larger ships can't do] and starts and ends in two very interesting cities (Barcelona and Lisbon) that are worth some extra time.

• Like 2

I picked out 2 on Pursuit. 3rd August for 10 nights and 13th August for 7. Not sure how long you'd want to go for. I'd love to do that as a B2B. Croatia and that part of the coast up to Split is my favourite part and there are a few ports I haven't seen. Sailing into or out of Venice is special. 

Those would be my picks for around that time. 

Phil 

Sorry, I looked again and you said the end of August, so these might be too early.

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our first Med cruise was a smorgasbord from Barcelona around the Riviera to Amalfi and back to Rome – it was a great introduction to the Med and to cruising, but we concluded that we prefer to focus more deeply on one area at a time, and country-intensive cruises are Azamara's strong suit.  In the months you specify, I would gravitate to the Spain-intensive itineraries (Sep. 8 or Sep. 19) and particularly to Sep. 8 which sails up the river to downtown Seville [something the larger ships can't do] and starts and ends in two very interesting cities (Barcelona and Lisbon) that are worth some extra time.

Thank you.  Seville is the part of this which really interests me.  Seville itself and also the cruise up the river.  As we have been small boat owners for many years; passages like this are of huge interest to us.  The navigation; the close proximity of the banks, the scenery, etc adds to our general interest. 

35 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I picked out 2 on Pursuit. 3rd August for 10 nights and 13th August for 7. Not sure how long you'd want to go for. I'd love to do that as a B2B. Croatia and that part of the coast up to Split is my favourite part and there are a few ports I haven't seen. Sailing into or out of Venice is special. 

Those would be my picks for around that time. 

Phil 

Sorry, I looked again and you said the end of August, so these might be too early.

Thank you too.  August is so hot in Greece generally but that itinerary is excellent.  Plenty of places we haven’t visited.  We did the Croatia intensive last year although the 2021 has a good variation of ports but not enough for me to book it this time.  

I would primarily think in terms of 4 areas in the Mediterranean that all have attractions. Most itineraries focus on one of these 4.

1/ The Greek islands including the Eastern Coast of Turkey and Constantinople. Constantinople is amazing and the Greek islands provide a smorgasbord of life in the Aegean. Santorini is a remarkable sight but is very crowded and Mykonos is another busy attraction. Athens, to us, is a wonderful experience.

2/ The Adriatic with a terminus in Rome. That will usually Include the Amalfi Coast. As Phil says, Croatia is filled with attractive ports. Some are rather quiet, but Dubrovnik is exceptionally popular. The Amalfi coast is scenic but again, very popular. A visit to Venice is a priority for many, and eventually there may be limits placed upon tourism at that port 

3/ The Western Mediterranean from Rome to Barcelona. This is Italian and French Riviera territory and there is a reason that both have attracted tourists for over a century. If you enjoy ports dedicated to tourists, there are a number to enjoy.

4/ Barcelona and the Iberian Peninsula. There is an excellent mixture of urban life, history and art. One of the advantages of this itinerary is that there are fewer tourists.

To help make a choice I would focus on the cities that would be the jumping-off point for your cruise. Constantinople, Athens, Venice, Rome (Civitavecchia), and Barcelona are often the ports used. 

I would research those cities and assess which has/have the most attraction to you. To some extent, the ports serviced from those major centres reflect the themes of that geographical area. You can focus on history, Art, a particular culture, religion, recreation opportunities, cuisine, etc.

In a very general sense, sailing Rome to the east you can immerse yourself in Classical culture and Eastern Orthodoxy.

Rome to the west has fewer opportunities in that area, but offers glimpses of more contemporary culture and Roman Catholicism.

But that is a broad generalization.

The best news, of these 4 areas, for most people, there is no bad choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We moved one of this years cruises to November 4 on the quest; so excited to sail up the river to Seville and spend a few nights there.  Sailing Barcelona to Lisbon with several ports we’ve not been to.  Before that, Venice to Rome; we’ve never sailed out of Venice so that will be a highlight as will Croatia and Sorrento, my favorite port.  I’d recommend either one

Edited by laurieb
  • Like 2

I’d definitely look at the Venice to Rome August 20 on the Pursuit. It has some lovely ports, such as Kopor & Kotor  in Croatia. Sailing out of Venice is lovely and a couple of days or so there beforehand would give you the chance to explore this lovely city. It can get crowded, but it’s just as fascinating walking around some of the quieter areas.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I’d definitely look at the Venice to Rome August 20 on the Pursuit. It has some lovely ports, such as Kopor & Kotor  in Croatia. Sailing out of Venice is lovely and a couple of days or so there beforehand would give you the chance to explore this lovely city. It can get crowded, but it’s just as fascinating walking around some of the quieter areas.

Thank you.  I would like to visit Koper and Kotor but we sailed from Venice for the Croatia cruise last year and had 3 nights staying in Venice then.  

Thank you all.  Amazing help.  The one I am leaning toward is the 11 night Aegean Pursuit voyage on the 16th October, particularly for the 2 nights in Istanbul.  I have been to Istanbul before years ago and it would be good to go back.  There are some interesting ports I haven’t visited and several I have.

• Like 2