Cayman Water Toys

alexmom

Hi ! I'm sailing on the Horizon in January 2022 with my son (26) and my grandsons (15-17) and I think that they will be bored with me dragging them to yet another beach unless I can blow their minds with some cool water toys.  Don't ask me what kind I'm looking for, because I'm clueless about what's out there.  I would really love to hear from other people about their experiences with this subject and even beach suggestions for me !  My husband and I have sailed many places in the Caribbean but never to Grand Cayman.

Thank you for whatever info you have.

Kristine

Hi ! I'm sailing on the Horizon in January 2022 with my son (26) and my grandsons (15-17) and I think that they will be bored with me dragging them to yet another beach unless I can blow their minds with some cool water toys.  Don't ask me what kind I'm looking for, because I'm clueless about what's out there.  I would really love to hear from other people about their experiences with this subject and even beach suggestions for me !  My husband and I have sailed many places in the Caribbean but never to Grand Cayman.

Kristine

Personally, I’d wait until after cruising resumes and see what’s open then. The two most popular beach spots for cruise visitors, Royal Palms and Calico Jacks, have both closed permanently during the lockdown. No idea at this point what will replace them, or even if anything will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 3:26 PM, alexmom said:

Kristine

I really think you should consider a stingray excursion with kids that age.  They would LOVE it!  Here are 2 reputable vendors if they stay in business:

https://www.mobydicktours.com/

https://www.captainmarvins.com/

The beaches are really chill in GC - they do not have the watersports and inflatables in the water like some other islands.  They might absolutely be bored on the beach.

3 minutes ago, elaineb said:

They might absolutely be bored on the beach.

Young men bored on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean? I think not ... scanty bathing suits abound.

OP, it's been a few years but last time I was on Seven Mile beach there was a fair selection of rentals and rides. They might also enjoy a snorkeling excursion.

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

Young men bored on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean? I think not ... scanty bathing suits abound.

OP, it's been a few years but last time I was on Seven Mile beach there was a fair selection of rentals and rides. They might also enjoy a snorkeling excursion.

Sadly, the 2 beach places to go on 7 Mile which you could rent watersports are now closed - Calico Jack's and the Royal Palms Beach club.  

WOW !!  Thanks to everyone for all the replies and suggestions !  The places that have closed may still open again when ships begin visiting ports.  I really like the idea of a catamaran snorkel and I will run that past them.  I don't snorkel, but I would enjoy the ride and hopefully get in the water to swim like I did in Cabo and St Martin.  Again, thanks so much !

WOW !!  Thanks to everyone for all the replies and suggestions !  The places that have closed may still open again when ships begin visiting ports.  I really like the idea of a catamaran snorkel and I will run that past them.  I don't snorkel, but I would enjoy the ride and hopefully get in the water to swim like I did in Cabo and St Martin.  Again, thanks so much !

Royal Palms and Calico Jacks have both closed for good. You need to make other plans.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 7:36 AM, bookbabe said:

Royal Palms and Calico Jacks have both closed for good. You need to make other plans.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, book babe, even though that's very sad news.  I remember seeing rentals for something that looks like a jet ski but rises out of the water on the water pressure from a tubelike thingie.  It was $500 for 4 hours, but it allowed for multiple riders in that 4 hour stretch.  Have you ever seen something like that in Cayman BEFORE Covid?  It was NOT a beach rental, it was delivered to the beach.  Thanks ; )

2 hours ago, alexmom said:

Thanks, book babe, even though that's very sad news.  I remember seeing rentals for something that looks like a jet ski but rises out of the water on the water pressure from a tubelike thingie.  It was $500 for 4 hours, but it allowed for multiple riders in that 4 hour stretch.  Have you ever seen something like that in Cayman BEFORE Covid?  It was NOT a beach rental, it was delivered to the beach.  Thanks ; )

I haven’t seen them in person, but I saw the article about them in the local paper. I think they were running out of the Public Beach area.

They’ve got a Facebook page as Jetpack Cayman.

Edited by bookbabe

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 2:29 PM, bookbabe said:

I haven’t seen them in person, but I saw the article about them in the local paper. I think they were running out of the Public Beach area.

They’ve got a Facebook page as Jetpack Cayman.

Thank you book babe !!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Red Sail, who have a lot of watersport options, also run out of the Westin, so worst case you could walk down the beach to there and rent from them there.

It definitely remains to be seen what locations Red Sail will open up once tourists are allowed to visit the island again, either by cruise or overnight.