New Promo --- YIKES!!!!

drvmywifecrzy

I just took advantage of this with a previously book cruise...

I lost my $600 OBC but went up one suite level and still saved $400 on the overall cost of the cruise...also didn’t lose any other promos. I’d say it was worth it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

The wonders of marketing and promos. Where people will pay more for things they perceive as free.

Well when I rebooked, I saved more money so I was not paying for something I perceived as free.  It all depends on how the math works out.  Once you decide to spend x dollars on a cruise, you’ve taken into account the “freebies” or perks and realize they are baked into the cost.  I’ve saved over $5,350 on 3 cruises I would have spent had i not rebooked with this 20% discount.  

Edited by mertziek

Like any time NCL changes their promotions, you just have to see if it makes sense for your particular reservation.  For us, we have two cabins booked on the Star in 2022.  I saved $1680 with this new promotion and only had to give up our free internet and shore excursion credit.  We don't take a lot of NCL excursions, so losing that perk is no big deal to us.  Even if we did use it for every port (we wouldn't have), this would still save us a lot of money. 

We have another cruise booked in 2021 on the Bliss and for that one the new promotion would have increased the price.  It all depends on when you booked and what promotion was available at that time.  

• Like 2

In my case the value of reduced airfare to Europe and Africa is worth far more than the new discount, no benefit to changing existing bookings.

However I did book a South America itinerary this week that never offered air previously, so in that case the 20% represents a good savings.

The more "sales offers", "special offers" ,"incredible deal" and other actions NCL does the more difficult it gets to know the regular price of a cruise or the perfect time to book the cruise to get the best deal. I think this is some sort of tactics by NCL. If you loose the overview the chances are higher that you book a cruise at a time where the price is higher then it would be if you got the best deal.

In the end the most important thing is that you are satisfied with what you paid. If you booked the cruise for the price X then you were satisfied with that price.Otherwhise you wouldn`t have nooked it. So why always checking after booking and then being unsatisfied if the price drops? You still paid the price X,you don`t have to pay more and none of your included perks will be taken away.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 2:27 PM, The Traveling Man said:

I checked the new "Employee Pricing" for our Transatlantic on the Jade sailing in April 2021.  To keep the same level of Balcony stateroom, we would have to give up two Free at Sea offers and pay $3500 more ($1750 each).  No thanks.

I had the same outcome. It would almost cost for one the price I paid for 2. I'll pass

• Like 1

i agree with casofilia. if the itinerary lists places i want to see, and the price is within reason i will book the cruise. years ago because of the added perks (including pre paid gratuities) i figured out that the price of a suite would end up almost the same as i would be paying for the  mini suite and having to pay the difference, so we booked the suite and i have been a diva ever since, if we cant get a suite or a haven, my wife wont even discuss going. in any event, i will  admit i am completely anal about the pricing. knowing ncl has a bad habit of changes prices like some people change their underwear, i look up the cruises i have booked almost on a daily basis. 

i have noticed (and i have commented about this some time ago) when ever ncl has a % promo, and last year i believe they had a 30% of the fare, this week a 20% off promo, they have raised the initial price of the cabin, so it looks like the passenger is getting a deal. most of the time the fare is about the same as it was prior to this MASSIVE! promotion (sarcasm is intentional) so it comes out about the same dollar wise.i  earlier entered a thread that we are booked on the jade from amsterdam next july, and with the new 20% off, the fare is $1,000 higher than my original booking.

consequently, my motto is "what ncl giveth, ncl takeith away.

finally, if you book early, and the fares go down, you can always rebook at the lower fare as long as it is before the final payment is due.

• Like 2

A problem with comparing prices at the moment is when you have used a Future Cruise Discount on your booking.   Then the price you see on your Confirmation email is that with the FCD removed from the actual cruise price you agreed to.

You cant guarantee a re-fare after final payment but you MIGHT get an upgrade or some OBC if you are lucky!!!

i was talking about regular booking with dollars not referring to any cruise credit someone might have.

however, if you book a club suite, and the price is $3500 for 2 and you have a cruise credit of say 100%, then obviously there is no out of pocket expense.

by the way, for the past 5 years, i have worked with a very nice, competent professional ncl cruise consultant named lynn.

she always insures that whatever discounts i may be entitled to are applied prior to giving me the final cost. if you would like her phone  number, i would be more than happy to email it to you.

i assure you,you will find it a pleasure working with her. wherever and whenever you may decide to cruise again, i wish you a bon voyage.

stay safe

I have a b2b2b2b for January 2023 and saved almost $1900 by this promo. I did lose the $50 shore excursion credit (big deal),600 internet minutes and 12 (24) meals, but we had 24 (48) meals on a 33 day cruise before our Platinum plus meals so no big deal to us either we should gain 8 (16) for the 4 cruises. The savings was well worth it to me.

I did check on a winter 2021 36 day b2b and it was $2500 more so 1 for 2.

Steve

I’m booked on Encore for next year, Thanksgiving week cruise.  New promo reduced our room by $700, but I lost the $200 OBC, shore excursion credit, and WiFi.  Don’t care about the shore excursion credit, I turn my phone off for my cruise and break away from work and social media.   The $200 OBC would’ve been nice, but the new promo saved my $700 for my fare.  So net savings around $500.  

• Like 2

I took advantage of the promo and booked a sailing in 2022. This was more to do with where the ship was going than comparing prices. I'm with those who say if it's acceptable enough then I go ahead and book it. In this case I moved from one cancelled voyage this year on a different cruise line to a completely different itinerary in 2022 on NCL (my first time with them). The so-called difference in price was a negligible increase to me.

So yeah, its all marketing and one deal might be better or worse than another. It's all about what you as an individual is willing to accept.

10 hours ago, simplelife said:

I rebooked my July 2021 Alaska cruise for July 2021 - I already had open bar, food and excursion credit and free Wi fi, but for the same price I also got free gratuities and $200 OBC.

Rebooked July 2021 for July 2021?

24 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I just got a notice from NCL telling me, "Shhh...but just for you we have extended this employee pricing for a few more days.  But you must hurry to take advantage of it....don't tell anyone."     I just can't keep a secret.  

lol.. from past history of promos,  ncl will be extending 'employee pricing' promo for the next couple of months.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 4:54 AM, GEORGIEGIRL said:

I just repriced my November 2020 Panama Canal cruise on the "Bliss" using this new "Promo". The price is

$300.00 higher and I lose 2 "Free at Sea" options.🤬

I am on that.  But doubt if it will go.  Bliss is in Europe now.