Flights Budapest-Frankfurt or Munich-Newark

MZiegler

This is a general question.  I usually make sure that all my flights are direct, however, I am scheduled for a River cruise in August 2021 (I hope 🙂 ) and there are no direct flights back from Budapest to Newark.  Can anyone tell me if I have to collect my luggage when I get to a Germany airport (Not sure which one will have the better flight), and then recheck it, or will the luggage be booked straight through to the USA-  This is will tell me how long of a layover I need.  I am most likely booking through United- but it looks like a Lufthansa flight, the whole ticket will book through United.  I am sure that there is a chance the whole flight will be operated by Lufthansa, or it could be Lufthansa to Germany and United to USA.  I hope I didn't confuse anyone :).    Thanks for the help!  I hope everyone stays safe and we all can travel again very soon! 

Oh, also, I am thinking of taking a KLM flight from Florence to Amsterdam, never flew them, does anyone have any opinions on this?  On time, service, etc.  Thanks again

Edited by MZiegler
added info

Lufthansa and United are both part of the Star Alliance group of airlines who codeshare and have baggage interline agreements with each other.

If you are buying 1 ticket from airport A all the way through to your final destination, then your baggage will be checked thru to your final destination.

I'm 98% confident in this answer. If I am mistaken, rest assured someone will come along shortly and correct me.

One note to the OP:  Be careful with your use of the term "direct flight".  That is a very specific term in the industry and it does not mean "non-stop flight", which is a different animal.  "Direct" means that there is no change of flight number, even though there may be stops along the way, and even changes of aircraft.

Not meaning to nit-pick, but for your protection.  You may find that an airline is offering a "direct" flight - you book it and later come to find out it really isn't a "non-stop".  Save you the aggravation.

Here's a quick description.  Many others available by searching "Direct vs Non-stop".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

Tip:  If you find that your flights are operated by Lufthansa, or a combination of Lufthansa and United, it may be worth your while to price the tickets through both UA and LH, buying the cheaper ticket.  A way to check on this kind of arbitrage is to use ITA Matrix.

One last clarifying detail.  Even though your bag may be through checked to your final destination, if you have a stop in the USA prior to your ultimate destination, you will be required to go through USA immigration and customs at your first point of arrival into the USA.

As for KLM - solid major carrier.  Know that intra-Europe service on most all carriers will come with tight seat pitch.

Thank you flyer talker! It is my fault  for not clarifying that I only take a “nonstop” flight.  I do know the difference between the nonstop and direct flights;  (I am embarrassed I did not write my question properly) many many moons ago, when I was younger, I was a travel agent. (That is why I always also check the different ways to book flights for cheaper fares, your other recommendation 👏) I appreciate the clarification, and you are right about checking in on different airlines directly instead of booking with one. It is something that I do. I was just trying to find out if I did book on one ticket if I had to pick up my bags In Germany before going onto Newark.  I know if I book the tickets separately , Budapest to Germany, then Germany to Newark I will have to pick up my bags and check them in again. I am trying if possible to avoid this.   As I said before, LOL, I will drive to an airport that has a nonstop flight round trip instead of taking any connections. So therefore I have not connected from a European airport, through a European  airport to a final destination in The USA. Thank you again!  😁

I Europe and transatlantic this non-stop versus direct flight is irrelevant - I fully know the difference in meaning but I’m not aware of any Direct European / transatlantic operations not being non-stop - no need to be embarrassed. Also many flight search engines are operating with the term direct rather than non-stop.
- on the subject transfer of luggage the luggage will always be checked in to final destination and no need for pick-up and re-check-in at EUropean airports if same reservation - for sure not Needed if Star Alliance.

I cannot  recommend to purchase different legs of the journey on separate Reservation - you’ll need at least three hours and in case of delay/cancellation of the first flight your connection is lost - if same reservation you’ll be rerouted or automatically get a reservation on a later flight.

I have been flying business and private from Copenhagen to various airports in US - often via Frankfurt or Munich.

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

I Europe and transatlantic this non-stop versus direct flight is irrelevant - I fully know the difference in meaning but I’m not aware of any Direct European / transatlantic operations not being non-stop - no need to be embarrassed.

For years, Delta offered a "direct" service from Miami to Tel Aviv.  The flight used a 757 for the MIA-JFK segment and passengers transferred to a 777 for the JFK-TLV segment.  Since it had one flight number, it was "direct".  It was also transatlantic.

There are many other examples of a domestic "tag" added to a TATL flight for marketing purposes.  Perhaps you just haven't encountered them.