San Francisco or Seattle ports to Alaska?

fred549

Hello,

We're looking at Sept 2021 for a Alaska cruise. Which city, Seattle, or San Francisco, would be better to leave from? We're asking about transportation to and from their airport to the dock. Hotels for the night before, and the night we get back to port. Which will be better, pertaining to convenience and cost.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival will sail many more from Seattle

Not sure why this answers the question...

@fred549, the distance from airport to port is similar...a little shorter to Pier 66 in Seattle. Hotels can be expensive in both downtowns, cheaper by the airport. Weather will probably be a little better in SF in September.

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure why this answers the question...

@fred549, the distance from airport to port is similar...a little shorter to Pier 66 in Seattle. Hotels can be expensive in both downtowns, cheaper by the airport. Weather will probably be a little better in SF in September.

Because of the two ports, the majority (about 70%) leave from Seattle, not Frisco.  Because, Carnival was extremely disappointed in SF lack of response in accepting the Miracle in March.  I would not be surprised to see SF home based cruises cancelled.  

Uber is available in both cities, which I hope you would be comfortable using as it is an excellent alternative to cabs and per-person transfers. There is loads of time to do your research, so try not to focus on shuttles to and from but more so, which areas are attractive to you (further down this board there are many threads which discuss hotels for Seattle). We have stayed twice at the Mediterranean Inn in Seattle, and it was a quick ride over to the pier in the morning. Have not stayed in San Francisco but have ported there a few times and there is nothing like the exhilaration of sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge. 😊

58 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Because of the two ports, the majority (about 70%) leave from Seattle, not Frisco.  Because, Carnival was extremely disappointed in SF lack of response in accepting the Miracle in March.  I would not be surprised to see SF home based cruises cancelled.  

"Frisco" is in Colorado or Texas. Neither is a cruise port.

Princess has operated Alaska cruises out of San Francisco for many years. Prior to Covid, Princess had a ship based in SF year around. Other cruise lines visit less frequently. Carnival hasn't has a change to operate in SF due to Covid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

"Frisco" is in Colorado or Texas. Neither is a cruise port.

Princess has operated Alaska cruises out of San Francisco for many years. Prior to Covid, Princess had a ship based in SF year around. Other cruise lines visit less frequently. Carnival hasn't has a change to operate in SF due to Covid. 

LOL, you can call it whatever you want.  I agree they have not made a change...YET. We will see, they let the cruise line down big time, cost them millions.  I have no doubt about what the up sides of cruising from there are, had been hoping they would make it a home port, there is a lot of upside.  

OP, previous posters have provided answers about hotel pricing and distance to/from airport to pier and the downtown area.  Nothing more that I can add to those answers.  Do be aware that sailing from San Francisco or Seattle will provide different itineraries and lengths of the cruise.  In your planning, please don't overlook that consideration.