Cruising In January

Beebearlvr

Hello happy cruisers. I have a question for those who've crusied in January. We are a group of 22 hoping to cruise out of NOLA late January.

Some of our group is concerned that the weather will be too cold for cruising. Our ports (at this time) are Key West, Freeport and Nassau.

One of our group did a January cruise and stated its too cold to even lay out by the pool, let alone the ocean water.

Thoughts? Is it too cold? Have you cruised in January and found it to be pleasant?

Thanks all!

We have had temps in the 80's when we have cruised or vacationed in the Bahamas in January.  It is really hit and miss.  The ocean water will definitely be chilly, but we have never had problems laying out by the pool/beach in the sun in January, and always come back with nice color.

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 1

I went on a cruise with that itinerary in late December a few years ago.  The ocean water was chilly compared to other times of the year.  The weather was very nice though.  Not too hot or too cold.  The pools were nice.  We had an excursion at Atlantis and the water in their pools and adventure river was fine.  It's a nice time of year to cruise, but unless your cruise is more southern the ocean water is a bit chilly.  

• Like 1

I like cruising in December/January. We have had one cruise where it was a little cold a couple days, but that can happen any time of the year. Generally we find the weather to be warm and have no problem swimming in the pools and ocean. I have heard people comment that they thought the water was too cold. It probably depends mostly on where you are coming from. Coming from 30 degrees highs in Cincinnati in the winter, 75+ feels pretty darn hot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

We have had temps in the 80's when we have cruised or vacationed in the Bahamas in January.  It is really hit and miss.  The ocean water will definitely be chilly, but we have never had problems laying out by the pool/beach in the sun in January, and always come back with nice color.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I went on a cruise with that itinerary in late December a few years ago.  The ocean water was chilly compared to other times of the year.  The weather was very nice though.  Not too hot or too cold.  The pools were nice.  We had an excursion at Atlantis and the water in their pools and adventure river was fine.  It's a nice time of year to cruise, but unless your cruise is more southern the ocean water is a bit chilly.  

Thank you. We were wondering aobut Atlantis.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

We have cruised in late Jan, early Feb.  Best time of year to cruise in my opinion.  Not too hot, but like others have said the ocean water may be chilly.  I also doubt cruising will resume by Jan 2021- but you never know.

I know, but one can always dream.

15 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I like cruising in December/January. We have had one cruise where it was a little cold a couple days, but that can happen any time of the year. Generally we find the weather to be warm and have no problem swimming in the pools and ocean. I have heard people comment that they thought the water was too cold. It probably depends mostly on where you are coming from. Coming from 30 degrees highs in Cincinnati in the winter, 75+ feels pretty darn hot. 

Makes since. I am in Oklahoma so we don't really have harsh winters. I would love some snow from time to time.

Mother Nature has a mind of her own . Don’t count on anything even in the Caribbean in January . We have cruised though in January a number of times and only once did we experience cool temperatures . But the odds are in your favor considering you’re designations . Galveston could be in thirties or in seventies /eighties