Wind Spirit just set sail for Papeete Tahiti

Mercruiser

I just got an automated notification from marinetraffic that Wind Spirit has set sail for Tahiti. The estimated arrival is late on August 25. She sails at just over 10 knots, which is about half the cruising speed of a big ship.

image.png.a7f428cb5775b28b3e0935ed678209d4.png

Here is the route forecast. I am hoping to be on this ship in February. Hope is the key word here.

image.thumb.png.f88205c29db7a4aaa45b2575dc33b6e9.png

• Like 3

I saw that yesterday. She was docked at Noumea the past few days, maybe picking up provisions. Today she is sailing east. 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=8603509

Hopefully this means Windstar is ignoring the latest CDC no sail order and resuming Tahiti in October. Hopeful for me with a January cruise. Gives me some time to get feedback from 2020 cruisers as to how it went. I was able to get Windstar to push back my final pay date for a Jan. 14 cruise to Dec. 15 date, 30 days prior. I will definitely know by then whether the Tahiti cruises are a success or they have been cancelled due to FP's covid outbreak. It is also good news that the GFP government yesterday said they are not going to lockdown again but people need to be vigilant

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/La-vigilance-Covid-rappelee-aux-services-de-l-Etat_a193451.html

On 8/13/2020 at 2:22 PM, Mercruiser said:

Here is the route forecast. I am hoping to be on this ship in February. Hope is the key word here.

image.thumb.png.f88205c29db7a4aaa45b2575dc33b6e9.png

Mercruiser,

How exciting. Thanks for posting. The eternal optimist that I am, packed and already aboard.

ETA in Papeete is now Aug. 26 according to marine tracker. Wonder why the ship is going there so early, 6 weeks before the cruises are to resume? I would think it is very expensive to keep a ship docked in FP.

Mercruiser, please keep us updated here since you must have a subscription.

Hopefully they will bring back the full crew in September, quarantine them for two weeks, take a week or two to retrain, and then practice new procedures (like disembarking at tender ports), and restocking for the October 8th first itinerary.  We are on the October 15th and I am ready to pack.

7 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Hopefully they will bring back the full crew in September, quarantine them for two weeks, take a week or two to retrain, and then practice new procedures (like disembarking at tender ports), and restocking for the October 8th first itinerary.  We are on the October 15th and I am ready to pack.

If you look at Windstar schedule online your cruise is the first in Tahiti, not Oct. 8. So you will become the go to person for feedback and info/advice on Wind Spirit cruises. Have you made your final payment yet or did you get the date pushed back?

43 minutes ago, susiesan said:

If you look at Windstar schedule online your cruise is the first in Tahiti, not Oct. 8. So you will become the go to person for feedback and info/advice on Wind Spirit cruises. Have you made your final payment yet or did you get the date pushed back?

We have made final payment, bought our airfare, and booked four nights pre-cruise, and three nights post-cruise.  We had originally booked the Pacific Princess for the same sailing date.  We had booked airfare and two nights at the Sofitel Moorea and when Princess cancelled all their Tahiti itineraries for 2020 we rebooked on Windstar.  We are actually hoping that this trip happens and are looking forward to it.

When Windstar cancelled the September itineraries some of those guests jumped on the October dates and our date became completely booked.

There is supposed to be a LGBT charter on October 8th.  As of this morning it has not been cancelled.  The Windstar website does not show the charter itineraries.

I would not complain if we were actually the first guests post cruise interuptions.

Heartfelt, I will be looking forward to your trip report, what excursions you do. I have looked at a few websites for the vendors for tours and bookmarked them. I am leery to spend a lot of time planning them until I see the Wind Spirit actually sail her maiden voyage from Papeete. When we go in January we will stay two nights in PPT at Fare Suisse Tahiti Guesthouse before the cruise and will fly home the same day as disembarking. My airline tickets are on UA with miles so those were free.

I was able to get Windstar to agree to push back my final payment date to Dec. 15 for a Jan. 14 cruise. That makes me feel better. I am checking cruise mapper daily to monitor the progress of Wind Spirit o the way to PPT. If I see a sudden turnaround I know there is trouble brewing.

I also really want to go on this cruise as I had two 2020 vacations postponed already, an Oceania Baltic cruise that would have been last June and a Namibia safari for September. I need to go somewhere.  ; )

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

I was able to get Windstar to agree to push back my final payment date to Dec. 15 for a Jan. 14 cruise. That makes me feel better.

That's great!  If Windstar hasn't started cruising in Tahiti by Dec. 15 [or if they start and have to stop] you will be able to cancel with only a deposit at risk.

• Like 1

Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

Heartfelt,  I commend you for your October cruise willingness. Thank you for your bravery and service. We hope you have a fabulous time and can't wait to hear all about it.

My husband and I married in August 2016, and we finally planned our honeymoon for a July 2019 Alaskan Cunard cruise which we cancelled in February as we saw people being trapped on cruises indefinitely and that was not a possibility for us to request of our employers. Then in May, when we it seemed like California and the US had cases somewhat under control, we took advantage of Wind Spirit's deal for December 28th FP cruise which was our original choice, but was too expensive for our nanny and teacher's salary. Now as the US and CA cases have spiked, we have sat at home hoping that this will all work out in some way for us to enjoy FP paradise aboard the Wind Spirit to celebrate our spiritual union. We are so appreciative of any updates on this site, and we are so hopeful that we experience FP paradise before the year is out. Healthy wishes to everyone!

Susiesan, I've been reading about your wariness for weeks now, and I'm so glad your final payment was pushed back. We paid our cruise in full because it allowed us to solidify points on our credit card which then allowed us to secure housing pre and post-cruise in Tahiti and Moorea. Honeymooning on Windstar was always our preference, so we have our fingers crossed that if our cruise ia cancelled for late December, we will still be able to reschedule for a future date. FP is our dream honeymoon, but I am also curious about their future SA sailings. This will be my first cruise, and I am looking forward to being royally spoiled.

Petooyna, thank you for all your enthusiasm and expertise about cruising in FP on Windstar. Your love is palpable. We have yet to finalize plans for all of our excursions, and your guideline will be our touchstone. We only wish we could cruise with you and your DH. We understand the tenuous position this has put you in with your children, and we hope that you are able to receive their blessing before your boarding. I hope I am as daring and thrill-seeking as you when I approach your age. You are an inspiration.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's great!  If Windstar hasn't started cruising in Tahiti by Dec. 15 [or if they start and have to stop] you will be able to cancel with only a deposit at risk.

That's the plan. My airline tix are awards and I can cancel and have the points redeposited at no charge. My pre cruise hotel is refundable also.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 2:15 AM, Jojo Inferno said:

This will be my first cruise, and I am looking forward to being royally spoiled.

You're in for a pleasant surprise. We always resisted travelling on a cruise ship for different reason (environment, children, etc). But in 2015 we made the choice on travelling on a small ship (Wind Surf) to celebrate our 25th. We had nothing to compare so it was all new to us. We loved every moment. We did Celebrity also which is very different (but enjoyable nonetheless).

Wind Spirit (and Wind Song) were made for French Polynesia. That's what the builder had in mind when he designed the fleet.

Get your hand on the book: Wind Star: The Building of a Sailship, published in 1987

Susiesan: noted that you are spending 2 nights at Fare Suisse precruise. Several years ago, we stayed there one night after a late night arrival at PPT and a mid morning departure the next day to Huahine. Not many amenities etc for a 2 nights stay ie view, food, pool, beach, Le Truck, etc. You are aware of this, oui?

20 hours ago, vaitape said:

Susiesan: noted that you are spending 2 nights at Fare Suisse precruise. Several years ago, we stayed there one night after a late night arrival at PPT and a mid morning departure the next day to Huahine. Not many amenities etc for a 2 nights stay ie view, food, pool, beach, Le Truck, etc. You are aware of this, oui?

Yes, I am aware. I wasn't looking for amenities, just an inexpensive place to sleep for 2 nights. We get into PPT around 8:00pm and wee will be picked up at the airport by the hotel. The next day we will either rent a car and d rive around Tahiti or take the ferry over to Moorea for the day. The day we check out we may rent a car that day before boarding late afternoon or some other activity. I haven't loved up anything firm yet, also no shore excursions. I am waiting see if the Wind Spirit resumes sailing in October before I spend a lot of time planning this vacation. If it is a go, it won't be crowded in FP and I'm sure the vendors of tours will be very accommodating to the few tourists who are coming.

For dinners the 2 nights in Papeete, I know about the good trucks in the center of town. I Amy also book the Fare Suisse as a day room for after disembarking the ship since our outbound flight is late, at 11:00pm. We would have someplace to hang out for the day, have dinner and a shower in the evening before heading to the airport. The owners will take us there for our flight.

Uh oh, this is not looking good for going to Tahiti. From a Tahiti radio web site, translated from French:

https://www.radio1.pf/covid-19-la-polynesie-officiellement-en-stade-2-et-peut-etre-en-stade-3-dans-un-delai-assez-court/

And here:

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Covid-19 -la-Polynesie-passe-au-stade-2-le-stade-3-est-envisage_a193698.html

The announcement coming on Monday could be if FP goes to stage 3 they may limit tourism again.If they are advising to limit travel that would eliminate a cruise that goes from island to island.

While the number of cases of covid-19 rose to 236 this Friday - including 156 still under surveillance - in a press release the Ministry of Health officially announces that the country is at stage 2 of the epidemic "and that there has a risk of dissemination of clusters. "And suggests" a passage to stage 3 of the epidemic in a fairly short time. "

"Taking into account the evolution of the epidemic monitoring indicators, the Ministry of Health officially announces that French Polynesia is at stage 2 and that there is a risk of dissemination of clusters", indicates a statement from the Country broadcast at the end of the day this Friday. Stage 2 is the stage that health authorities give to containment strategies to curb the spread of the virus.

However, adds the Country, “it should be noted that some of these indicators suggest a transition to stage 3 of the epidemic within a fairly short timeframe. "As a reminder, in stage 3 or epidemic stage (active circulation of the virus), the health strategy is different and goes from a logic of detection and individual care to a logic of collective action. The strategy for reducing the active circulation of the virus in the community is based on 3 major axes: the protection of the most vulnerable populations, the outpatient care of non-serious patients, the management of patients with signs of seriousness in health facilities. "Several preventive measures have already been implemented to limit viral circulation (wearing a mask, gatherings), to screen and isolate (reinforcement of resources), to protect vulnerable people and to prepare the health system," the press release said. .

“Also, it is important to remember that THE VIRUS DOES NOT CIRCLE ALONE. Each individual is a potential vector of the disease, hence the policy of isolation and strict confinement of confirmed cases and contact subjects, and the constant reminder of the application of barrier gestures. "

In conclusion, on this weekend eve, the authorities are asking the population "to limit contact with those around them and travel to the strict minimum. For people with symptoms, the telephone number remains 40,455,000, every day from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

A press point will be organized on Monday afternoon.

Edited by susiesan

1 hour ago, Barrycat said:

Susiesan

Just to be clear, stage three is the least restrictive of the three stages.

Moving  to stage three would be a good sign for travel.

I think you have it backwards, phase 3 is more restrictions. With more and more cases every day FP is not going to lessen restrictions, they are going to impose more, which is already happening. These are the current limits:

From August 12 – August 25 the authorities of French Polynesia have implemented the following measures (subject to extension):

• Closing of discos and nightclubs;
  • Meetings of more than 50 people on the public highway or in any place open to the public are subject to prior permission from the Office of the High Commissioner;
  • Application of strict rules in restaurants and bars (patrons must be seated, maintain a minimum distance of 1 meter between each table, and wearing a mask is mandatory by everyone when moving around the establishment);
  • Wearing of masks is mandatory in all shops, water taxis/ferry transportation, airplanes, public ground transport, airports and ferry terminals. Requirements will be enforced by controls and sanctions. Failure to comply with these requirements is punishable by a fine of up to €745.82.
  •  

What I haven't seen is any info from Windstar about wearing masks on the ship. If that is going to be a requirement I will definitely cancel. it's bad enough I have to wear one for over 8 hours on the plane.

Edited by susiesan

41 minutes ago, susiesan said:

What I haven't seen is any info from Windstar about wearing masks on the ship. If that is going to be a requirement I will definitely cancel. it's bad enough I have to wear one for over 8 hours on the plane.

I know wearing a mask is major hassle for many. Personally I love to sew and have a whole wardrobe of masks. Ya wanna Darth Vader mask? I can do it for you. Doggie mask, done deal. UCLA? Now with all the batik and gorgeous fabrics of FP, husband has made me promise not to pack my sewing machine.

Edited by Petoonya

Susiesan
Sorry but I’m not wrong, at least according to the CDC and I think they should know. See the attached. https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

I just can’t help myself so....unless Tahiti’s location south of the equator reverses things like the drain in a sink, my guess is their phase three is the same as ours.

The restrictions you listed are consistent with phase two. As they stated, I think they are considering going to phase three once the current restrictions expire on the 25th.

That all may change depending on developments.

Edited by Barrycat
Didn’t direct to a specific earlier response

16 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I know wearing a mask is major hassle for many. Personally I love to sew and have a whole wardrobe of masks. Ya wanna Darth Vader mask? I can do it for you. Doggie mask, done deal. UCLA? Now with all the batik and gorgeous fabrics of FP, husband has made me promise not to pack my sewing machine.

Nancy, I have sewn some masks myself. I got 5 of them out of one of my husband's cotton shirts. Even though the fabric weave is very loose and some what breathable, I cannot tolerate it for more than a minute. I have a lot of allergies and a chronic stuffed nose. The problem here in Kansas City with sewing any more is that here is a shortage of elastic, I can't find it any where.

If I do end up on the SFO-PPT flight for 8 hours, I have a veil face covering, a piece of cloth that hangs down over my nose and mouth from a stretch headband. 

BTW, this morning the Spirit is still heading for Papeete, she has not turned around. yay.

Edited by susiesan

Tahiti, August 25, 2020 - The health department announced on Tuesday that the toll now stands at 335 Covid cases in French Polynesia, 25 more than the day before. Detailed figures will be updated on Wednesday, but the last report on Monday reported 119 people released from isolation and considered to be cured, 7 people hospitalized at the CHPF for signs of Covid-19, including 3 in intensive care. The cases being located in the urban communes of Tahiti. And three related cases being isolated in Raiatea.

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/La-Polynesie-passe-a-335-cas-Covid_a193783.html

Wind Spirit (the circled blue shape) is now off the south coast of Moorea, heading for Papeete. ETA in Papeete is 8:00 p.m. local time. They have a long wait for the first cruise. I suppose there could be worse places to be than in Tahiti!

image.png.5d0c70c268b483057d7b3737b81bb471.png

Edited by Mercruiser

I just saw that on cruisemapper.com  I am trying to find a live Papeete web cam but am not having any luck.

Even though FP is seeing more covid cases they are not going to shutdown to visitors again. It was announced yesterday.

Tahiti, August 25, 2020 - The health department announced on Tuesday that the toll now stands at 335 Covid cases in French Polynesia, 25 more than the day before. Detailed figures will be updated on Wednesday, but the last report on Monday reported 119 people released from isolation and considered to be cured, 7 people hospitalized at the CHPF for signs of Covid-19, including 3 in intensive care. The cases being located in the urban communes of Tahiti. And three related cases being isolated in Raiatea.