Grand Cayman does not want cruise ships

shof515

Grand Cayman will remain closed till the end of the year. From the article here: https://caymannewsservice.com/2020/08/cruise-ships-barred-till-year-end/

The Port Authority of the Cayman Islands has issued a notice to its cruise industry partners that the George Town port will remain closed to cruise ships until at least 31 December.

Appears they are betting that Cruising will not resume prior to years end. If the Industry can come back sooner with a relatively "fail safe plan" the Cayman Powers To Be will probably soften their stance. I realize the Cayman area has historically been deemed a "money haven". If you are used to controlling large amounts of money then your "greed" factor is probably heightened and you will not miss out on any potential revenue.     

• Like 1

Back when Carnival was boasting they would start sailing in July, i was still wondering where exactly they thought they were sailing to, as all the ports were saying they would not be accepting passengers.

Are cruises to nowhere still disallowed?

53 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

The 100% happening cruise I have scheduled for 30 November was going to port in Grand Cayman.  I wonder what other exotic port we will end up enjoying?

I heard Cancelation Island is a pretty decent substitute port. Of course, Deception Island is a bit too far down in Antarctica, but you know. Cruise on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Je Souhaite said:

Back when Carnival was boasting they would start sailing in July, i was still wondering where exactly they thought they were sailing to, as all the ports were saying they would not be accepting passengers.

Are cruises to nowhere still disallowed?

27 minutes ago, shof515 said:

yes. Cruise to nowhere is now a thing in the past

Cruises to nowhere are still a thing and permitted — they just cannot be operated from the United States by crew utilizing a D1 work visa. The only way a foreign flagged vessel can operate this itinerary from a US port is with a crew consisting of US citizens, permanent residents or those authorized to work in the United States. The PVSA does not prohibit this. The cruise lines just choose to recruit against the requirements for this.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I heard Cancelation Island is a pretty decent substitute port. Of course, Deception Island is a bit too far down in Antarctica, but you know. Cruise on.

I'm quite content with sailing directly to DeNial 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Seems like a good way for an island to maintain control of virus mitigation.  They state they have had 203 cases so far, with 1 death.  https://www.caymancompass.com/issues/coronavirus-cayman/

A cruise ship unloading asymptomatic passengers can completely undo all their prior efforts.  Maybe there's a lesson for us Americans to learn here?

• Like 3

Just now, evandbob said:

Seems like a good way for an island to maintain control of virus mitigation.  They state they have had 203 cases so far, with 1 death.  https://www.caymancompass.com/issues/coronavirus-cayman/

A cruise ship unloading asymptomatic passengers can completely undo all their prior efforts.  Maybe there's a lesson for us Americans to learn here?

GC has been know to turn away a cruise ship because of Noro - they certainly don't want more C19.

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

Maybe there's a lesson for us Americans to learn here?

Think we can learn something by Labor Day? 😁

"About 12% of Labor Day air travelers are headed to Florida, TripIt said, compared to 4% in 2019. Based on TripIt and previous TSA data, that suggests about 720,000 Americans will fly to Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Fort Myers, Key West, Panama City, and other parts of the Sunshine State".

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nearly-1-million-americans-plan-160618648.html

(Honestly though, my wish is for everyone to stay safe and healthy while they're down here and return home 😘 )

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

GC can rely on revenue from offshore banking, shady tax dodging and money laundering activities. It doesn't need cruise ship business to pay its grocery bills.

That is correct. They are the richest nation in the Caribbean.

10 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Appears they are betting that Cruising will not resume prior to years end. If the Industry can come back sooner with a relatively "fail safe plan" the Cayman Powers To Be will probably soften their stance. I realize the Cayman area has historically been deemed a "money haven". If you are used to controlling large amounts of money then your "greed" factor is probably heightened and you will not miss out on any potential revenue.     

Maybe they just don't want to turn into Florida or New York.

• Like 1

If you like snorkeling from the shore, GC is one of the best places. We have been here quite a few times from cruises and never taken a tour. In town is a wonderful gelato shop owned by Italians that we go to every time. I will be sad if they drop it. Im probably in the minority but I'd rather go here than St. Martin.

11 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Maybe they just don't want to turn into Florida or New York.

New York was bad for the first 2 months, mostly in March and April. Since May, we been on the decline and for the past month or two we been holding steady

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

All these US States really need to start enacting a higher regard for human lives vs. greed for profitability. Give the Cruise Industry credit for at least "appearing" to care about our safety.    

I do believe if they weren’t told they couldn’t, they would.  Businesses want $$, and that safety is on the other side of a smoked mirror.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:49 AM, Je Souhaite said:

I do believe if they weren’t told they couldn’t, they would.  Businesses want $$, and that safety is on the other side of a smoked 

I know someone that lives in GC. They said that a majority of their tourism dollars come from people who fly in and not cruisers. She said there has been some talk of scaling back on the number of cruise ships even when cruising eventually resumes.  I do not think many islands will be happy to see Americans until we get the rate of Covid infections to decline a substantial amount. I do not blame them.