Prefer Bed by Door or Window on Motor Yachts?

jmbklj

What I'd like to new from those who have or are booking on the renovated motor yachts.....are you booking the "old" cabin format.....or the "new" cabin format where the bed is next to the window/balcony?  And why did you make that decision?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I booked [on a cruise that got cancelled because of the delay] a 'new' style SS1 for two reasons:  preferred the bed near the window so that DW can get up early and use the bathroom and sitting area without going past the bed, and because the new section of the ship puts those cabins in the mid/aft location we prefer.  But we haven't sailed on any Windstar ship, so don't know if these general preferences are important on these ships.  [We haven't ever sailed in an oceanview cabin before; went straight from insides to verandas...]

Hi Host Jazzbeau, thanks for your input.  I'm thinking of booking a Star Breeze cruise and trying to decide which cabin floor plan to choose - the S1 or the new SS1 floor plan.

My Pros for a S1 cabin:

-  We've always had a cabin (Windstar & other lines) where the sitting area is near the balcony (or window).  I like sitting on the sofa or chair right by the window watching the great views outside.  I don't think I'll spend much time sitting on the bed to see the good views outside.

-  In the middle of the night, it's a short walk to the bathroom.

-  My hubby is sensitive to light and once the light through the window wakes him up, guess who else ends up awake?  LOL  With a S1 cabin, the sleeping area is darker in the early morning hours because there is an extra curtain to close off the sunlight from the window. OTOH, once he gets up early, he could use the SS1 sitting room.

-  In the SS1 cabin, the tv is in the bedroom area, but we normally watch more tv in the living area, rather than in bed.

My Pros for a SS1 cabin:

-  Why not try something different?

-  Less congestion when we're both trying to get dressed, get in the closet, or pack our clothes.

What am I not considering?  

I booked an S1 - I like to be able to sit buy the window watching the view. Also, if one gets room service instead of going to one of the restaurants, it's nice to be able to eat next to the window. It's not a major thing, but I also like that it is slightly darker by the bed if the sun is up earlier than I want to be. 

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the old style is costs a bit less ($100 pp for the 7 day I just booked). If one prefers the Star layout, that's not probably not enough reason to switch, but if on the fence, it might tip the balance. 

Some might prefer the Star Suites because they are totally new. I'm not sure how much refurbishment was done to the old suites other than the bathrooms being replaced (though we were fine the suites pre-dry-dock). 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2020 at 9:33 PM, new_cruiser said:

I booked an S1 - I like to be able to sit buy the window watching the view. Also, if one gets room service instead of going to one of the restaurants, it's nice to be able to eat next to the window. It's not a major thing, but I also like that it is slightly darker by the bed if the sun is up earlier than I want to be. 

Agree.  Shorter walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and no coffee table to avoid on the way.

• Like 3

I selected the new Star Balcony category on the 9/30/21 Star Pride Canada/New England cruise. I’ve been on the Breeze twice and loved it, however she was looking her age.  I love new so I wanted to try the new cabins and I also wanted to try a French balcony. We’ve never ordered room service and we’re early risers so don’t anticipate issues with light in the early morning. Never closed the drapes to the sitting area. Yes, it’s nice to sit by the window while sailing but don’t think it’s a make or break deal for me. Got a good discount on the cruise on a 7 for 7 sale and I’d just come back from a Windstar Caribbean cruise so got that discount too. Guess I’ll just have to move the coffee table out of the pathway to the bathroom at night!

We are “bed by the bathroom” people. Even when sailing Celebrity we’d choose a cabin with the bed away from the balcony.

We’d love to try one of the new cabins but we love it very dark when sleeping and enjoy the sitting area near the window.

Luckily with the new cabins, there are now there are choices for both preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is a tough call, there are such advantages to both. 

I found the bed was too close to the bathroom door. If it swung inwards in the bathroom, that would have been fine but the door often was between me and my night stand while we were getting ready for bed at night because we leave the door open so we can chat with each other. 

Also my dh had to go so close to me in the night if he used the bathroom. 

I like to look out at the ocean in the morning from my bed.

Finally, the room seemed cramped because we had to get by the bed to the open space of the sitting area. 

On the other hand....

In the daytime it is lovely to sit and look out and dining in that area is lovely. 

But, like Host Jazzbeau, I like mid-ships so I'll be booking the new suites once I'm back to cruising in a year or two. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bed near bathroom.  Windstar ships are small and often rock.  At night a short walk to the bathroom is preferable.   On Windsurf, beds are near the window. Walking across the cabin can be tricky when the ship is sailing in rough seas. My spouse fell one night.  On the motor yachts which has huge cabins, walking across the cabin in rough seas is not for me. Put me near the bathroom.  When we first saw the expansion plans for the motor yachts, we were surprised to see the bed near the window.  We would prefer the older cabins with bed near bathroom.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Second seating said:

On our Baltic cruise a few years ago on the Star Breeze, one night was so rough it would have been hard to make it to the bathroom from the bed if it was near the window!

Another reason to upgrade to an SBS!  :classic_biggrin:

We have been on Star class ship many times over the past 5 years (both in S1or 2 and BS)  We are likely to stick with the design with the bed near the bathroom.

Wife is the later sleeper on cruises, but I enjoy being at the window or balcony with my coffee and "morning news".  This gives her a darkened bedroom and me a "daybreak" window seat.  Yes, I could just go to the Yacht Club (and often have) but like to start the day in a quieter place. I love the conversation at the Yacht Club (I often start too much of it) but waiting for my wife always seems to feel best.

The bathroom is not hard to find either way.