Staterooms on Renovated Motor Yachts

Host Jazzbeau

As the Star Plus Initiative finally nears completion, it is time to get ready to compare the old cabin numbers and details to the new ones – and to begin compiling passenger reviews of the new cabins.

First up:  a spreadsheet showing all cabins before and after the Star Plus renovations.  The old information is on the left, with the corresponding information following on the right.  This should help long-time Windstar cruisers see how their notes and memories from prior cruises map onto the new numbering system.

All info was taken from Windstar's official deck plans:  Voyage Collection 2019-2020 brochure for old, website as of Aug. 15, 2020 for new.

It prints on Legal size paper. 

Windstar Power Vessels Cabins (old vs new).pdf

Next up:  a smaller spreadsheet showing all cabins after the Star Plus renovations. 

All info was taken from the Windstar website as of Aug. 15, 2020.

It prints on Letter size paper. 
Windstar Power Vessels Cabins (Star Plus).pdf

On thing I’m curious about is the number of adjoining rooms post rehab. We were booked on the Breeze for this summer (cancelled obviously) and were supposed to be in 520. Our TA confirmed it was an adjoining room but also agreed it made no sense since it was an original room and wasn’t adjoining pre-refit.

I’m very curious to know what the reality is once we can finally see the interiors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...

@Host Jazzbeau

A new year years question for you?

I'm in 522, and I thought "adjoining" meant exactly what Marinaro described way back in August 2020.

2 inner cabin doors with an outer door that closes to the hallway. Yet Deck 5 plan shows my cabin, a balcony suite, with opposing arrows that indicate "adjoining", and maps with an inner/outer door arrangement. But down the hall are Star balconies without opposing arrows but same inner/outer door map. Which is adjoining? Are the balconies double jointed? It's very confusing.

If you or anyone knows or can give a guess......?

Sorry, Petunia – never having been on a Windstar ship I only know from the deckplans.  I don't remember anything about them changing the layout of the existing cabins, so if there were previously three doors to make adjoining cabins I imagine there still are.  I assume that the new section of the ship has the same cabin entrance cabin arrangement but they didn't bother installing that third outer door.  You'll find out when you explore the ship [sadly I won't, since my cruise was cancelled].

@Host Jazzbeau

Thanks very much. I'll try WS today and see if there's an answer. Not big on adjoining rooms they're through an interior wall. I fear I'm booked in that.

So sorry about your cruise especially if you've not cruised WS, and hope you book again. My April cruise was canceled too, but fortunate to have chosen a "backup" cruise at a sale price.

Any interest in Tahiti? 😀

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Any interest in Tahiti? 😀

Not really.  We're not beach people, DW doesn't swim, and we both worry about skin cancer.  Our focus is on nature cruises where there are mountains, and cities with museums and restaurants!

For anyone interested.....those cabins marked with the opposing arrows on the deck plan have the 3 door arrangement per WS. The cabins without the arrows have direct access to the hallway. Agent told me deck plan is incorrect. We'll find out for sure next November.

Think it's a case of who knows? Not sure I trust someone in reservations word entirely.

But the 3 way door is really very well done and I haven't felt it was too close for comfort at all. I kind of marvel at the ingenuity.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Think it's a case of who knows? Not sure I trust someone in reservations word entirely.

But the 3 way door is really very well done and I haven't felt it was too close for comfort at all. I kind of marvel at the ingenuity.

Agree.  A Seabourn idea, apparently.  Much better than a direct inside door between staterooms.

Yes, if you don't want an adjoining room, as we usually would not, then this takes away from that door right there on the wall between cabins!  

I see where it looks like the new refurb staterooms do have the same layout with the small foyer hall and the two angled doors.  That takes up less width! a bit more room in the bath and closet.  I am sure it works out okay, but never having seen it, that hallway foyer does seem tight.  I think on most ships that is the width of two doorways without the V angle.

I'd rather see my neighbors in the hallway than have to hear them, or them suffer and hear me, with a door between cabins. Besides how often do you see your next door neighbor leave their cabin at the same time you do on a cruise?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 3:55 PM, marinaro44 said:

Agree.  A Seabourn idea, apparently.  Much better than a direct inside door between staterooms.

Seabourn did not invent this idea. All 

three sailing ships have it. I think the first was built around 1985 and the sisters were several

years later.

• 4 months later...

I never thought the french balconies were worth the cost but changed my mind when we got a last minute offer e mail a few years ago. For a little more we could upgrade to a balcony. Took the offer and loved the fresh air and being able to step out and see up an down the length of the ship . And take photos from our balcony.

Since we missed a few cruises these last two years, decided to upgrade  on on the Boston to San Juan cruise.

When we were younger, running up to the pool deck was easy. If we were still young we would save the money toward more cruises or tours.  Now we are almost in our eighties and enjoy a more laid back experience. Did a b to b on the Surf ( for the second time) right before the closure and hardly ever got off. If you have never been on the Surf, you can't compare it to a motorized ship. The sails are magical.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Beware the mattresses in the new cabins.  There's a huge lump down the middle of the bed and no support on the sides, so you sink down almost to the floor when you set on it or try to get into bed. It felt like we were scaling a mountain. Then once you're in you feel like you could roll off at any time. Onboard staff said there was nothing they could do.

23 hours ago, milepig said:

Beware the mattresses in the new cabins.  There's a huge lump down the middle of the bed and no support on the sides, so you sink down almost to the floor when you set on it or try to get into bed. It felt like we were scaling a mountain. Then once you're in you feel like you could roll off at any time. Onboard staff said there was nothing they could do.

Are you certain they are only in the new cabins?

Can anyone else out there weigh in on the current status of the mattresses in the older staterooms? We are currently booked on the Star Legend in one of the new staterooms and will want to switch to an older stateroom IF the mattresses are firmer there. TIA. 

On 11/28/2021 at 9:57 AM, milepig said:

I hope this isn't the case! We are booked on our first Star Legend cruise in one of the new French balcony suites and I would hate for that to happen! Can I ask which ship and which stateroom you were in?

I think all the mattresses were replaced.

At least in the past, a lot of mattresses had extra stiffening along the edge to create a more defined edge. Perhaps that is becoming less common. When shopping for a new mattress early this year, quite a few didn't have a stiffer edge and the mattress we ended up buying doesn't have a stiffened edge. If you are used to a mattress with a stiffened edge, at first it can feel like the mattress is trying to roll you off. It really isn't. It's just that the stiffness is the same all across. It did take a few nights for my husband to get used to it, then he was fine with it. 

We were in an S1 (not one of the new Star Suites) and the mattress didn't have that extra edge stiffening. No problem for us since we have already gotten used to that; something to be aware of if you are used to the other, especially if you tend to sleep on the edge. 

Since the bed can be configured as two twins or a queen, there is a strip down the middle to bridge the gap between the twin mattresses when they are pushed together into a queen. It's a noticeable texture difference though I wouldn't call it a huge lump.

We were on board for 18 days and found the bed comfortable. 

• Thanks 2

We sailed recently on the Star Breeze (Nov. 11-22, 2021) and found our bed exceptionally comfortable. Our cabin (641) was in the new section and the Queen bed was not divisible into two singles. (Thus no strip down the middle.) In fact, we liked the bed so much that I meant to ask the make and model for possible future purchases at home...of course, I then forgot to ask! 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 8:06 PM, daveAZBC said:

We sailed recently on the Star Breeze (Nov. 11-22, 2021) and found our bed exceptionally comfortable. Our cabin (641) was in the new section and the Queen bed was not divisible into two singles. (Thus no strip down the middle.) In fact, we liked the bed so much that I meant to ask the make and model for possible future purchases at home...of course, I then forgot to ask! 

Did you write a review? We will be in that cabin next summer.