I'm thinking of making a new tradition, New Years cruises

jeremyosborne81

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2020 at 2:00 PM, jeremyosborne81 said:

Obviously not this year, but it seems like a good idea. Get out of the snow and winter here in the Denver area.

I highly recommend holiday cruises.  If one could include a Christmas segment with the New Year's cruise, it makes the experience even better, I think.  

I have experienced New Year's Cruises on Nieuw Amsterdam, Zaandam, Volendam, and Prinsendam.  All were memorable and each--even though they were all aboard ships of HAL--were different in some respects.  If you are interested in my experiences, please respond to this post and I will provide some details.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

If you are interested in my experiences, please respond to this post and I will provide some details.  

I'm always interested in hearing about cruise things. What changes do they make for these cruises? Are there fireworks at midnight on New Years Eve?

2 hours ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

Are there fireworks at midnight on New Years Eve?

No.  I sailed on Nordic Prince in 1984 during a 4th of July cruise.  I recall the Captain speaking to us on the PA prior to sailing that fireworks were not to be fired from the ship if anyone had any.  Such pyrotechnic displays from a ship means that the ship is in distress and needs help.  

I will return to this topic in a day or two to answer the rest of your post.  

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

No.  I sailed on Nordic Prince in 1984 during a 4th of July cruise.  I recall the Captain speaking to us on the PA prior to sailing that fireworks were not to be fired from the ship if anyone had any.  Such pyrotechnic displays from a ship means that the ship is in distress and needs help.  

I will return to this topic in a day or two to answer the rest of your post.  

The Disney ships have fireworks after their pirate parties

22 hours ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

The Disney ships have fireworks after their pirate parties

I am aware of this and have wondered how they were able to "get away" with doing so.  Maybe the regulations for firework displays at sea have changed since I sailed on Nordic Prince.

Unsure about whether you want more details about my New Year's Eve cruise experiences on HAL.  Yes?  No?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am aware of this and have wondered how they were able to "get away" with doing so.  Maybe the regulations for firework displays at sea have changed since I sailed on Nordic Prince.

Unsure about whether you want more details about my New Year's Eve cruise experiences on HAL.  Yes?  No?

It wouldn't be surprising if Disney got special permission, as they also got special treatment to paint their lifeboats yellow instead of the mandated orange.

Yes, please tell me more about your New Year's Eve cruises.

Edited by jeremyosborne81