1st Mediterranean Cruise in 5 months - MSC Grandiosa

I hope it goes well for them and they have no incidents.  Italy just announced that they are closing nightclubs and discos until September due to a spike in positive cases in younger people.  I wonder if that includes nightclubs on board ships as well. Masks are now mandated outdoors. Not sure it would be a very pleasant experience to have to wear masks on the ship as well as land excursions.  

I wish them the best.  Tui cruiseline has had 2 successful sailings on mein schiff 1 and 2.  I'm not sure if the most recent had any port stops where passengers could get off ship.  I know the first one did not.

For the most part masks dont bother me if I'm indoors with ac.  I dont think I would walk around outside for extended period of time in 80+ degrees.

• Like 1

I have been watching some of the live videos posting on the MSC Fan FB pages. One lady posted that she had a saliva test and a PCR done in a private room, then went to another area and waited about 50 minutes. Then they came and told her she was ok to board. Hearing the ship’s horn as she sailed away, reminded me that I miss cruising!

• Like 4

For this initial phase of the restart of operations, the two MSC Cruises ships operating in the Mediterranean for the current summer season will initially welcome guests who are residents in Schengen countries only (Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Greece, Spain, France, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden and Switzerland).

56 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

If I am not mistaken, MSC stated that if you do not have a package tour, you won't be allowed off the ship into the port.

Correct -- they only allow passengers off the ship who have purchased excursions through MSC. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 6:13 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Interesting to see how the cruise goes. What is 70% capacity?

Did couple Cruises after 9/11, during those Oct and Dec sailings had hundreds Cabins empty. Really empty ship. One ship was 70% of Cabins filled, not Capacity. Many including me were SOLO, no single supplement and dont remember seeing family/kids on board. Was also during the Florida Anthrax scare. Cruise was cheap, $799 total for Cat. B Cabin, this on the newest/largest ship at time Explorer of the Seas...

• Like 1

I saw photos of them boarding, people headed to the ship, on board through windows, and departing on FB.  Masks were on practically everyone. I fact the few I didn’t see them on were people not yet on the ship or past port security. 

Hopefully the sailing goes well. 🤞 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Glimpse of the MSC buffet post Covid -- sign of things to come for RCI Windjammer?

I think this is the way to go. No more food hording. I would not have any problem being served like that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Glimpse of the MSC buffet post Covid -- sign of things to come for RCI Windjammer?

Looks good to me.  Of course that kind of service is pretty much pointless for COVID-19 purposes, but it should definitely help to mitigate norovirus outbreaks. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

That video was really helpful to get a better idea of what the buffet will be like. I’m fine with it that way during this time, except for the self-serve drinks. Wouldn’t that undo all of the precautions they took in the buffet??

You're right.  They ODed on that one.  Everything was going great until the drinks part.  Not a good idea to serve your own drinks -- like you point out, that defeats the purpose.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Looks good to me.  Of course that kind of service is pretty much pointless for COVID-19 purposes, but it should definitely help to mitigate norovirus outbreaks. 

The self serve drinks, as pointed out above is not a great idea but otherwise, it looks pretty sanitary and as mentioned previously, it will eliminate food waste for sure.