Everything... project Leonardo/Prima class!

20 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

And how OLD are their smaller ships? Instead of 6 140KGT ships, why not 2 smaller, 2 medium, and 2 larger ships?

Age is not important,the condition is important. As long as they are kept in good shape they will make money with them.

They do create their fleet based on the market situation. There was and still is a time where people want(ed) to have big ships with tons of entertainment and the craziest ideas. But slowly there is an upcoming demand for not so big ships with a little bit more style and service.And i think thats why they do build the leonardo class. The demand for the extreme big ships is not so high that they need more breakaway-plus class ships. But the demand for the smaller ships(2000 passengers) is also not high enough to build any additional ones to the already existing ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It wouldn't be sensible to put Escape in the Breakaway Class simply because of the Panama Canal. Just as certain ships may be allowed to sail under a bridge (retractable funnel, for ex.) while other ships in the same class are not allowed, the class is still the same. 

Maybe the front-facing Observation Lounges on BA+ 2,3,&4 that Escape doesn't have could be used to put Escape in the BA Class but even then, the argument would be that ship class isn't about features. Similar to the Audi Q7, Bentley Bentega, Lamborghini Urus, Volkswagen Touareg, and Porsche Cayenne all being built on the same platform even though engines, transmissions, and features are different within the platform. 

escape seems like the red headed step child of the BA+ class.

- cant go through the panama canal

- no race track

- has a dance floor in the mdr

all 3 of those 'features' are on the breakaway/getaway.

i'm just saying make it simple and less confusing for non-cruisecritic customers

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Age is not important,the condition is important. As long as they are kept in good shape they will make money with them.

That's what they say on the Carnival forum. 😁

(White paint over rust is good enough for Carnival)

I wouldn't at all be surprised if most or all of the open deck space shown in the rendering  is filled with (for a fee) stuff. We'll all have to wait and see....

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

i'm just saying make it simple and less confusing for non-cruisecritic customers

Non-CC members don't care what class the "boat" is. If they want "...the boat with go-karts...", they won't book Escape even though it is in the same class as the "boats" with go-karts.

People like us think about stuff like that. The majority of people on the ship aren't like us.

• Like 3

Some facts for Leonardo 1:

- mega blocks are being build at Fincantieri subsidiary Vard Tulcea (Romania, Europe), completion will be done in Italy.

- Ship's hull number on the yard is 6298.

- original date of delivery for the first Leonard class ship was March 2022.

With;

Leonardo 2: April 2023
Leonardo 3: June 2024
Leonardo 4: July 2025

Leonardo 5: 2026

Leonardo 6: 2027

As far as I know the hull still is in Romania, I was surprised to already see the progress!

NCL could/would benefit from releasing the deck plans and some venue announcements to generate some extra cashflow from the first bookings. Promoting and introducing a new 2022 ship shows confidence in the future, so bring it on as soon as you can NCL.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Will be interesting if the ship will do the summer season in the med? And then go in fall to Miami? And if they do so where they name the ship?  

If they do so, I would like do book one of the first cruises in the med. 

it is great to have something to talk about again.  Hope ncl give us some news the next weeks/ months so this will stay alive

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 3

On 8/17/2020 at 9:29 PM, FreestyleNovice said:

I am not affiliated with any of the shipyards nor with NCL, I just enjoy the new builds. Everything I share is found through open sources online (social media, websites, etc). :classic_smile:

Hello! Thanks for posting. Keep it coming. Greetings from Amsterdam too!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

Will be interesting if the ship will do the summer season in the med? And then go in fall to Miami? And if they do so where they name the ship?  

If they do so, I would like do book one of the first cruises in the med. 

it is great to have something to talk about again.  Hope ncl give us some news the next weeks/ months so this will stay alive

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/348148/ncl-seriously-looking-at-deploying-first-leonardo-ship-in-europe

This article mentioned a (pre Covid19) delivery of June 2022 by the way, written October 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/348148/ncl-seriously-looking-at-deploying-first-leonardo-ship-in-europe

This article mentioned a (pre Covid19) delivery of June 2022 by the way, written October 2019.

Thanks for the link and also the footnote.  I hope the first leonardo class ship sails from Miami but hey....I'm rooting for the home court advantage 🙂

After FDR's disaster in debuting Joy in China, I hope NCL no longer lets FDR decide where new ships go 🤫

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

escape seems like the red headed step child of the BA+ class.

- cant go through the panama canal

- no race track

- has a dance floor in the mdr

all 3 of those 'features' are on the breakaway/getaway.

Yea, but it has the extra length with the brewery and food republic, which clearly makes it a BA+, and very different from the breakaway/getaway.

• Like 1

Nice. :classic_smile:

Let's test this render;

https://www.cgarchitect.com/projects/abf1a1af-restaurant

It was/is on the same page, made/uploaded by the same company and the caption says: "This is a rendering for a restaurant on a cruise ship." Uploaded a few months prior to the Leonardo Atrium pic.

I spot some of those wider pizza ovens, I can't make up the remarkable exterior windows but is this an upscale La Cucina onboard Leonardo? The image does not appear in a reversed image search for say another ship or line.. Anyone else seen it before?

ef9247b4.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Let's test this render;

It was/is on the same page, made/uploaded by the same company and the caption says: "This is a rendering for a restaurant on a cruise ship." Uploaded a few months prior to the Leonardo Atrium pic.

I spot some of those wider pizza ovens, I can't make up the remarkable exterior windows but is this an upscale La Cucina onboard Leonardo? The image does not appear in a reversed image search for say another ship or line.. Anyone else seen it before?

ef9247b4.jpg

I think it might be the new Italian restaurant, Onda by Scarpetta.

Looks very nice too. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Let's test this render;

ef9247b4.jpg

Beautiful design! So nice to see some ideas 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, hloakes said:

"Six of Norwegian’s 17 ships, all built before 2006, are in the 2,000-passenger range.

Four more vessels (Jewel class)  built between 2005 and 2007 are in the 2,400-passenger range.

Then there are the line’s last seven ships, which all are in the 4,000-passenger range.

“It sort of fills a niche for us,” Sommer said. “We think having these four [ship sizes] allows us to have the maximum flexibility for our guests.”

Asked about the economics of going smaller, Sommer said he didn’t see a big difference in the expected returns from a 3,300-passenger ship versus a 4,000-passenger ship."

i dont see much of a difference between a 3300 passenger ship and a 4000 passenger ship.

also, the author is wrong about the # of the smallest ship size.

there's only 4 ships in the 2000 passenger range, not 6.

the Dawn and Star are 2400 passengers.

Edited by fstuff1