Will/Is Princess Canceling New Builds?

stevenr597

It does appear that it will be several years, if ever, before the cruise industry regains the previous volume of cruisers.  It also appears that they may find themselves with a "glut" of ships, many of them fairly new.

I do think that this will lead to the cruise lines delaying or just terminating some of their "new builds"

In the case of Princess, we are booked on the Trans-Atlantic crossing of the Disovery  Princess, scheduled for November, 2021.  I do believe that this construction will either be delayed, perhaps by up to one year, or just canceled.  

We are now in uncharted territory in regards to cruising. 

Edited by stevenr597
Incorrect ship name

21 minutes ago, skynight said:

Last information I heard is that the Discovery build is ongoing, but behind the original schedule.

as long as it is in PE/FLL at the beginning of December 2021 ⛱️🚢🍻🏁🎰🎲🃏🤞

• Like 1

I’m on the November TA and also on two one week cruises out of Los Angeles in March 2022. I am not expecting any of them to happen. The TA because the ship will be delayed and the March ones because there will be insufficient time for the ship to get from Italy to California once it is eventually launched.

When the new Caribbean 21/22 itineraries were released, I called Princess UK about moving the Discovery Princess cruises  but wasn’t able to do so with paying an admin charge so will have to wait until Princess cancels them. Obviously this won’t happen for some time as they have enough to deal with currently.

We're on the last Discovery Med and TA as well, but it looks doubtful that it will sail.

There was an article in SeaTrade (seatrade-cruise.com) that showed the hull of the Discovery being launched a week or so ago. The article said that the launching was delayed from April. The hull is just that - it looks like a garbage scow in it's present form. 

It was off to another Fincantieri yard to be outfitted. So now it's a least four months behind schedule. 

Haven't seen much on Princess for 2022 yet, but that looks like the next realistic dates for us at this point.

32 minutes ago, loge23 said:

We're on the last Discovery Med and TA as well, but it looks doubtful that it will sail.

There was an article in SeaTrade (seatrade-cruise.com) that showed the hull of the Discovery being launched a week or so ago. The article said that the launching was delayed from April. The hull is just that - it looks like a garbage scow in it's present form. 

It was off to another Fincantieri yard to be outfitted. So now it's a least four months behind schedule. 

Haven't seen much on Princess for 2022 yet, but that looks like the next realistic dates for us at this point.

I will probably wait, even if it is delayed.  

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I am on the Discovery Dec 13, 2021 with 8 cabins booked for my belated birthday and family reunion so hope It is delivered by that time.

If the ship is delayed, does Princess offer you another cruise or give your deposit back?

8 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

I do think that this will lead to the cruise lines delaying or just terminating some of their "new builds"

We are now in uncharted territory in regards to cruising. 

I have be thinking the same thing.....

The big questions ......

Are the new ships too big.... can they fill them and what are the prices like

Will there be the market for cruising..... as there is now talk of things staying the same for a long time.....

Will Princess only do the America Market ( ie caribbean cruises )

Only time will tell..... if the bubble has burst 

I have read some time ago  one of the cruise line did not finish a ship and was sent straight to scrap ..

Cheers Don   

11 hours ago, phabric said:

If the ship is delayed, does Princess offer you another cruise or give your deposit back?

You can always get your deposit back by canceling before the final payment date.  The only exception is if the deposit was non-returnable which are seldom the case and mostly used during some sales.  In the case of a ship being unavailable they will offer you the chance to move to another sailing/ship.  Unlike other cruise lines Princess is extremely easy to work with in scheduling a cruise.

Edited by satxdiver

I have read news releases that Carnival Corp of which Princess is a part is slowing down construction of new ships already underway.  Part of this is that the shipyards are having the same problems everyone else is having in that the shipyards are either totally closed or operating under partial workforce due to the pandemic.  It is a worldwide problem.   Carnival Corp pays for their new ships upfront instead of at the end like other cruise lines.   So all of the new ships under construction are paid for with committed funds. 

1 hour ago, satxdiver said:

You can always get your deposit back by canceling before the final payment date.  The only exception is if the deposit was non-returnable which are seldom the case and mostly used during some sales.  In the case of a ship being unavailable they will offer you the chance to move to another sailing/ship.  Unlike other cruise lines Princess is extremely easy to work with in scheduling a cruise.

At whatever pricing exists for the new cruise.

Unlike Royal Caribbean, Princess does not guarantee you the same price when an identical cruise at a later date is chosen.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, phabric said:

I am on the Discovery Dec 13, 2021 with 8 cabins booked for my belated birthday and family reunion so hope It is delivered by that time.

I'm booked on the cruise just prior to that one, arriving back in Port Everglades that morning, so I too hope that it is delivered on time.

I knew that delay was a possibility, but the price for a mini-suite was outrageously good, so we are taking a flyer on this cruise - with fully refundable fare. We should have a good idea if this cruise is on schedule by the time we have to make first payment past deposit. If it's not on schedule, we'll pull the plug.

This is our first cruise scheduled post-pandemic. In the past, ocean view with no balcony was good enough. We're not sure that's gonna cut it. We wanted enough space that if we weren't comfortable with the social distancing standards (if still required by then) of other passengers, we had our little place in the sun with a little bit of room.

Edited by CruiseMrB

We are booked on the Discovery Transatlantic.  Its so iffy that we booked a back up. 

We now have a problem with the back up because the cruise line - not Princess - made an announcement which states they will only allow ship's tours for shore excursions.  If that is true, we will cancel the back up and book another back up to the back up.  Its getting confusing.  LOL   

There was also some talk, can't remember if it was here on or FB, that they might substitute the Enchanted for Discovery. 

So many ifs!!!  😞 

I expect most ships that are under construction will be finished and delivered. The cost of the ship builds is the responsibility of the shipyard . The cruise line only pays a 10% deposit before construction starts. The other 90% is due when the ship is turned over to the cruise line on its delivery date.

13 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I have read news releases that Carnival Corp of which Princess is a part is slowing down construction of new ships already underway.  Part of this is that the shipyards are having the same problems everyone else is having in that the shipyards are either totally closed or operating under partial workforce due to the pandemic.  It is a worldwide problem.   Carnival Corp pays for their new ships upfront instead of at the end like other cruise lines.   So all of the new ships under construction are paid for with committed funds. 

8 minutes ago, Kamloops50 said:

I expect most ships that are under construction will be finished and delivered. The cost of the ship builds is the responsibility of the shipyard . The cruise line only pays a 10% deposit before construction starts. The other 90% is due when the ship is turned over to the cruise line on its delivery date.

well, well, well ...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kamloops50 said:

When Cunard built the Queen Mary 2 , only 10% of the cost was a deposit. If ships aren’t delivered on the contracted date they are penalized.

liquidated damages ... early completion bonuses ... bonds ... percentage of completion draws ... retainage

15 hours ago, Anubi said:

We now have a problem with the back up because the cruise line - not Princess - made an announcement which states they will only allow ship's tours for shore excursions.  If that is true, we will cancel the back up and book another back up to the back up. 

I assume that announcement is for when cruising restarts, not for something as far into the future as your backup cruise.

2 hours ago, caribill said:

I assume that announcement is for when cruising restarts, not for something as far into the future as your backup cruise.

The back up cruise is a Baltics cruise on Celebrity.  We have one independent tour with Alla and all other ports are DIY which is why the ports are such a big deal for us.  Our problem is my husband's work vacation rules so we need to make a decision by mid-January.  I doubt we'll have all the answers we need by then.  😞