Show us your MASKS!!!!

pcur

I mean, if you wear them........................

I ordered these after reading a funny thread about masks for formal night:

For my red dressy tunic - 

1864915610_Redblingymask(2).jpg.1398aac11f4600e7fdd938f5e7fb0983.jpg

And this one:

660801832_Turquoiseblingymask.jpg.9f695107ace3988387fc7df6656220de.jpg

And, these in black, silver, and champagne:

1687486044_BlackSilverChampagneblingymasks.jpg.b74f1ab5f6d07cf5ec5429bb6ed2ebc7.jpg

These are my every day masks that I made from old cotton nighties:

1053228150_Pinkmask.jpg.e659a44cab0155b62fc8c5637bbb0940.jpg

765778927_Greenmask.jpg.38dc078fb47afeba69d180aa9f52d805.jpg

• Like 2

I started making some, but got tired of fighting with my machine (it needs serious maintenance since the tension won't work right no matter how many times I adjust it). I now have about a ton cut out, with no way to finish. Guess I try to get my serger to work now--at least I could do some of it if I can get *that* to work.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

I started making some, but got tired of fighting with my machine (it needs serious maintenance since the tension won't work right no matter how many times I adjust it). I now have about a ton cut out, with no way to finish. Guess I try to get my serger to work now--at least I could do some of it if I can get *that* to work.

I had that problem, and then found out I was using a size 90 needle instead of a 80.  No more problems.  Just a guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Love the sequin ones...where did you get them?

The red and turquoise came today, and I love them.  Light, but good protection.  Fit perfectly. 

All different colors:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B08BR5LP2L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B08BF489S2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pack of 3 black, sliver, champagne:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B08CXWBFHD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For my husband; it comes in navy, black, or solid white:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Groom-Face-Mask-Wedding-Mask-Navy-BlueFace-Mask-Blue-Tuxedo-Mask-Made-in-USA/324262220096?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=513335973678&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by pcur
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

I had that problem, and then found out I was using a size 90 needle instead of a 80.  No more problems.  Just a guess.

Could be that too. I'll try that too, if I have any.

However, it's about 15 years old has never been worked on. 

Just now, PurpleHays said:

Could be that too. I'll try that too, if I have any.

However, it's about 15 years old has never been worked on. 

I just bought a supply of Organ 80/12 for $4.50,  and 90/12 for $6.45  on ebay.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Sorry that you are having trouble with the thread tension.  Here are some info about thread tension, just in case you have not tried them.

https://suzyquilts.com/how-to-troubleshoot-sewing-machine-tension/

https://www.thesewingdirectory.co.uk/thread-tension/.

http://ohyoucraftygal.blogspot.com/2013/10/sewing-lesson-10-how-to-fix-tension-on.html

• Like 2

I bought some from a California based company called Sanctuary Clothing back in late March.  It took a couple of 

weeks for them to arrive.  5 in the pack.  Here is a link to their website and the masks in my order are in the picture.......

They look like they are in a pack of 10 now but mine were only the 5 larger ones.

https://www.sanctuaryclothing.com/collections/masks/products/10-pack-family-bundle-ppe-masks

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I bought some from a California based company called Sanctuary Clothing back in late March.  It took a couple of 

weeks for them to arrive.  5 in the pack.  Here is a link to their website and the masks in my order are in the picture.......

They look like they are in a pack of 10 now but mine were only the 5 larger ones.

https://www.sanctuaryclothing.com/collections/masks/products/10-pack-family-bundle-ppe-masks

Looks like they have the 5 packs back, to be delivered late August.  I may have to buy - cool camo colors!!!

My current quiver of masks (we talk about quivers of skis, so why not masks) are from Johnny Was.  One set is the cotton sateen and one set is the silk charmeuse.  I've always liked Johnny Was because of the cool fabrics they use, so getting the masks was a no-brainer and a cheap way to get Johnny Was. 

I like this thread!

• Like 1

Yes, it's a fun thread.  Something else to lightened things up, and help each other.

Back to sewing machine tension:  I thought my inexpensive Singer was in need of lube, so Mr. Pcur did his "more is better" lube job on it.  I had him go back and mop up inside.......

Then, I thought it was the tension, so I played with that..........

Then, after my last batch of ebay tops and blouses (I realized in our current shelter-in-place situation, that my flowy, lightweight tops could lead to DISASTER with me cooking in them over a gas stove open-flame burners), I realized my needle was wrong.  Studied up on that, bought the two different sizes, and my clogged thread, skipped stitch, nightmare-from-hell stitches went away!  Poof!

Back to masks:

I spiffed up my husband's yesterday.  They are made from a charcoal lightweight tee shirt he "donated" (the man is a serious tee shirt hoarder; needs a 12-step program).  Double layered and larger to fit his big giant head.  Ties turned to elastic, and as of yesterday, elastic turned to overlapping velcro.  Now, his masks are tidy.  No more trailing elastic, because he wasn't interested in tying the bottom one.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Sorry that you are having trouble with the thread tension.  Here are some info about thread tension, just in case you have not tried them.

https://suzyquilts.com/how-to-troubleshoot-sewing-machine-tension/

This one seemed the most helpful, so I'll try it tomorrow. Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcur said:

Wow!  Look at these masks!!  Gorgeous:

s-l1600.jpg

Really pretty for a formal occasion or wedding!!!

I do have to tell you - then I first saw the photo when I was scrolling down, the first thing that came to my fogged brain was "bra cups"!!!  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Really pretty for a formal occasion or wedding!!!

I do have to tell you - then I first saw the photo when I was scrolling down, the first thing that came to my fogged brain was "bra cups"!!!  

Me, too!  I thought "you could put two of those together and make a great bikini top!!"  Of course you'd have to have boobs shaped like that.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 8:26 PM, pcur said:

Tried changing needle size too, didn't make a difference.

On the other hand, changing the needle size *did* help the serger. I can at least put together some masks without the bias strip for a nose strip. I just can't top stitch or sew the channel for elastic ( don't attach it so it can be replaced or adjusted).

On 8/29/2020 at 8:29 AM, awhfy said:

I use Flat coffee filters

I just got these in the mail a few days ago, and they have the little inside "pocket" for inserts.

41%2BX-Z2xZ2L._SY180_.jpg

Very pretty and glittery.

I have a 4-cup Mr. Coffee maker, so I took the filters and folded them in half (they are round), then cut off the sides and cut them in half along the fold.  One fits perfectly in the little inside pocket.  I made a bunch and packed them in with all my cruise evening masks.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2020 at 8:16 PM, PurpleHays said:

Tried changing needle size too, didn't make a difference.

On the other hand, changing the needle size *did* help the serger. I can at least put together some masks without the bias strip for a nose strip. I just can't top stitch or sew the channel for elastic ( don't attach it so it can be replaced or adjusted).

Did you try cleaning out the bobbin case?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Did you try cleaning out the bobbin case?

No. I'll try that this weekend.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I got some new ones from Nordstrom.  A 3 pack for 25.00. One lavender, one green and one in black. They are cotton

and comfortable. 

Hmm--maybe I'll go to Nordstrom this weekend.

• 1 month later...

I love the masks from Nordstrom's.

These are our utilitarian masks, and my husband and I both love them.  We have them in gray, and the XX-Large doesn't squash my husband's big giant head.  From Amazon by Secret Artist:

71ZMgSHS1pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I began making masks as soon as there was an inkling that things would be shutting down.  I had a bunch of fat quarters for quilting (which I never do), and ordered a few rolls of elastic from ebay and went to town.  To date I've made over 500 masks (I'm not a good sewist, just a brave one), and have donated them to various organizations.  I've covered the neighbourhood (literally), and all our friends as well.

I decided to make a fancy mask for myself - in the event we can ever cruise again, if there's a need for a formal night mask, I've got one ready.  I picked up the sequin fabric at a dollar store and applied it over a basic mask I made for myself.

image.jpeg.0ea6a6bb957f61196089f26a3d8754b2.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3