Update(s) on Grand Princess Summer 2021 Deployment (...and Crown, too?)

snoozecrooze

By now, you've probably read about the changes made to Princess' Summer 2021 Europe deployment:

• Grand replaced by Regal for her Southampton-based sailings
  • Grand heading for Los Angeles instead

THREAD 1: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2755047-change-of-ship/?do=findComment&comment=60158266

THREAD 2: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2755699-ship-change-grand-to-regal-cabin-allocations/?tab=comments#comment-60181286

As seen in THREAD 3, (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2757377-princess-vp-sales-facebook-live-event-8-3-20/), Princess' VP of Sales announced that Grand's new 2021 deployment schedule will be released on August 19, 2020.

Well, I've got something interesting; I didn't want to bring this up before if the info was wrong and would be corrected, but nothing has changed since then. Assuming the news that is being announced today will reflect these changes, then this should be interesting (at least in terms of how they'll just...seemingly swap ships like they did with Diamond and Sapphire earlier this week).

Here are pictures of the San Pedro cruise schedule for summer 2021 (more months can be viewed at link below):

image.thumb.png.f561ca9938af02566949687a4179f963.pngimage.thumb.png.4c595dbc4ec652f1a5163b8816e61967.png

image.thumb.png.ef921bc839390dc33f2f4c87ff826e2c.pngimage.thumb.png.7be70ff60c263d15ea363f295eb20218.png
You can take a glance here for yourselves: https://www.portsamerica.com/operations/cruise-los-angeles-terminal-schedule

So, it seems like IF Crown Princess will take over for Grand in summer 2021, this would mean:

• Grand will retain the spring 2021 Singapore-London voyage (that is, assuming the ship will eventually operate in Singapore barring further restrictions)
  • Grand will take over for Crown's British Isles voyages 
  • Crown scraps a huge chunk of its schedule established since summer 2019 and won't be heading near Europe at all
  • and of course, another huge redeployment of some ships -- truly, nothing is predictable with any deployments until we're over this

Again, none of this has been publicly announced yet, (and the schedule also carries some errors of its own)but with these signs pointing to something unanticipated, I felt like this and any new developments today deserve their own thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm on the Crown, too for Fall 2021.  It seems odd announcing Grand will no longer sail out of Southampton for Summer 2021 itineraries, going to LA instead.  Now saying it will be out of Southampton after all, why go through the changes?  

Our 2 August 2021cruises on the Grand out of Southampton were switched to the Regal.  We had Premium Oceanview cabins and were transferred to a balcony since the Regal has no oceanview cabins.

Edited by phabric

From Princess website:

20200819_074553.thumb.jpg.f6cb717148da869bc5d8843c1c526938.jpg

Are they hoping to sell it? Why else wouldn't there be any cruises between April - December next year??

Sun has cruises available to August 2021 and Sea has them to November 2021, others through May 2022

Edited by Ombud

@snoozecrooze

I have also heard that Grand will replace Star to sail for the Alaska northbound / southbound itineraries. But same as you, I can't really confirm if this is true or not.

If your info and my info are both correct, then the puzzle will become

Los Angeles: Grand changes to Crown
Vancouver: Star changes to Grand

And then in Southampton, will Crown change to Star? Or even more ships will be involved for a more large-scale redeployment?

Let us wait for the announcement from Princess later today, hopefully.

I was talking to an agent at Regent.   I had a cruise booked for Feb 2021 to the south pacific.   I was thinking about cancelling it.  She said that she believed that Regent will be switching many of the cruise itineraries for 2021 as there is so much uncertainty on when and where they will be sailing and what ports will accept them.   She believed that they may even open up more cruises in areas that have relatively lower incidents of covid.

I wonder if the same thing is happening here, where princess is holding off on scheduling cruises due to the uncertainty.  It must be difficult as they do not want to open up a cruise, have people book not only the cruise, but also the flights, etc. around it and then deal with the fallout that brings, if they are forced to change.

Would not want to have the scheduling job for any cruiseline now!

• Like 1

I had a very nice and long conversation with a Princess agent on Tuesday  (8/18).  He  searched and searched and searched and could not find the Grand anywhere between the time she left Southampton (May/June) until December  (2021) when she will cruise to Cabo.  He was just as much at a loss as to where she will be.  

I was booked on the Grand June 2021 (switched to Regal).

I am booked on the Grand March/April 2022 

I would love to be on the Grand somewhere between Southampton and San Pedro.

Hi, we are booked on the Crown in September 2021 round trip Southampton and the cruise is still available on the Princess website to book on her.

However, Crown appears in the US on the same dates, as per the link from snoozecrooze.

Any further updates on whether the ship will be changed would be much appreciated, as we chose a specific cabin we wanted which obviously may not be available on a replacement.

Kind regards Peter

Edited by PrincessPete
Spelling error

13 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

By now, you've probably read about the changes made to Princess' Summer 2021 Europe deployment:

THREAD 1: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2755047-change-of-ship/?do=findComment&comment=60158266

THREAD 2: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2755699-ship-change-grand-to-regal-cabin-allocations/?tab=comments#comment-60181286

As seen in THREAD 3, (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2757377-princess-vp-sales-facebook-live-event-8-3-20/), Princess' VP of Sales announced that Grand's new 2021 deployment schedule will be released on August 19, 2020.

Well, I've got something interesting; I didn't want to bring this up before if the info was wrong and would be corrected, but nothing has changed since then. Assuming the news that is being announced today will reflect these changes, then this should be interesting (at least in terms of how they'll just...seemingly swap ships like they did with Diamond and Sapphire earlier this week).

Here are pictures of the San Pedro cruise schedule for summer 2021 (more months can be viewed at link below):

image.thumb.png.f561ca9938af02566949687a4179f963.pngimage.thumb.png.4c595dbc4ec652f1a5163b8816e61967.png

image.thumb.png.ef921bc839390dc33f2f4c87ff826e2c.pngimage.thumb.png.7be70ff60c263d15ea363f295eb20218.png
You can take a glance here for yourselves: https://www.portsamerica.com/operations/cruise-los-angeles-terminal-schedule

So, it seems like IF Crown Princess will take over for Grand in summer 2021, this would mean:

• Grand will retain the spring 2021 Singapore-London voyage (that is, assuming the ship will eventually operate in Singapore barring further restrictions)
  • Crown scraps a huge chunk of its schedule established since summer 2019 and won't be heading near Europe at all
  • and of course, another huge redeployment of some ships -- truly, nothing is predictable with any deployments until we're over this

Again, none of this has been publicly announced yet, (and the schedule also carries some errors of its own)but with these signs pointing to something unanticipated, I felt like this and any new developments today deserve their own thread.

the Crown is listed . Princess could put any ship into that slot. Remember that these days are booked about 24 to 30 months in advance . Ship can easily change for that day.

The San Pedro port listing for the Crown Princess 2021 June 26 / July 1 / July 5 sailings would fit the 5/4/5  itineraries [5 nt Cabo overnight / 4 nt San Diego & Ensenada / 5 nt Cabo overnight] -- currently sailed by Royal Princess*.

*Royal Princess' last 5/4/5 sailings on this itinerary being 2021 April 10 / April 15 / April 19.

---

Edited by RSS from SF

23 minutes ago, RSS from SF said:

The San Pedro port listing for the Crown Princess 2021 June 26 / July 1 / July 5 sailings* would fit the 5/4/5  itineraries [5 nt Cabo overnight / 4 nt San Diego & Ensenada / 5 nt Cabo overnight]

* And the 2021 May 22 / May 27 / June 5 is a 5/4/5 as well.

There is a huge advert in the UK Daily Mail today for 14 x Round Britain cruises on the Crown covering April 2021 through to October 2021.

It is the same advert to the one we booked through a couple of weeks ago for one of theSeptember 2021 cruises.

Kind regards Peter

6 hours ago, PrincessPete said:

There is a huge advert in the UK Daily Mail today for 14 x Round Britain cruises on the Crown covering April 2021 through to October 2021.

It is the same advert to the one we booked through a couple of weeks ago for one of theSeptember 2021 cruises.

Kind regards Peter

I am booked on the Crown 8 day from Southampton return April 24 to May 2, 2021. Please post if you hear any more. 

9 hours ago, PrincessPete said:

Kind regards Peter

Does this mean that the Regal that replaced the Grand for the summer of 2021 WILL now be replaced by the Crown?  I'm so dizzy with confusion.  Please bring back the Grand for my cruise.

Your dizziness is understandable cr8tiv1 !!

No it does not is the simple answer to the question as there is a 24 night Regal Princess cruise being extensively advertised - it sails from Southampton at roughly the same time as our one on the Crown in September 2021.

Kind regards. Peter

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 1:00 PM, snoozecrooze said:

We have a Round Britain cruise booked on Crown May 2021 out of Southampton, I will not be happy if Crown is replaced by Grand.  Princess have not informed us of any change yet.

Just wanted to chime in as the OP and try to dissuade anyone from panicking too much about their potentially derailed vacation plans. Port schedules are fickle and can change any second, and so can the cruise lines, with all of their abrupt decisions. 

But anyways, I don't think any announcement will come out for the rest of the week since Diamond's announcement clearly took precedence this week. Maybe next week? I don't know; nothing's even close to being sure at this point. I do think the concern about Grand being a very imperfect replacement for Crown as it has less staterooms was an interesting point to bring up. We'll see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All the Sapphire cruises out of LA for fall of 2021 & Spring of 2022 going to Hawaii have been cancelled. Had to rebook on the Grand for April 4, 2022.  Princess called it a redeployment & we were just canceled last Tuesday.  Had 2 sailings booked.  Very disappointed, as we were looking forward to sailing on the Sapphire. Who knows where the Sapphire is being changed to.

1 hour ago, Ronnieslady said:

Who knows where the Sapphire is being changed to.

The fate of the Australia/New Zealand season is the most unsure as of yet and several of ships are being juggled around. Based on Melbourne's port schedule for '21-22, it was originally set to host Coral just a few months back, but now maybe not so much (Sapphire has reemerged in the port schedule again). But if I had to be honest, I think they'll continue to toy around with even more previously established deployments (like Alaska '21). The dilemma will certainly be where Princess thinks their resources should be deployed with regards to estimated demand and restrictions by then.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Does this mean that the Regal that replaced the Grand for the summer of 2021 WILL now be replaced by the Crown?  I'm so dizzy with confusion.  Please bring back the Grand for my cruise.

11 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We have a Round Britain cruise booked on Crown May 2021 out of Southampton, I will not be happy if Crown is replaced by Grand.  Princess have not informed us of any change yet.

Can't please everybody. Looks like one of you may end up happy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1