MSC is serious about its protocols

Cruise Suzy

1 minute ago, Sir PMP said:

outrageous!

????  Why is it outrageous??  

If the family took the cruise knowing the rules and chose not to follow them then they sealed their own fate.  It’s not different than not showing up for muster/lifeboat drill.  They too get kicked off for not following rules.

I wouldn’t cruise under those circumstances but anyone who does should be prepared to go with the flow and follow the rules.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

????  Why is it outrageous??  

If the family took the cruise knowing the rules and chose not to follow them then they sealed their own fate.  It’s not different than not showing up for muster/lifeboat drill.  They too get kicked off for not following rules.

I wouldn’t cruise under those circumstances but anyone who does should be prepared to go with the flow and follow the rules.

To throw them off the ship for that is outrageous, they paid for it.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm totally with you. 

I'm thinking that I will plan some land trips over the next year or two to replace some bucket list cruises I had been planning to take in that time frame. When things return to a more normal version of cruising, I'll also return...

Edit: But to your point (and to address the other poster), if I did, for some reason, book a cruise with these types of restrictions, I would understand that and abide by them. I totally understand MSC's position and applaud what they did.  As to whether or not their "bubble" idea is safe, the jury is still out -- given that other cruises in EU who've tried to re-start have had COVID issues even without any port stops.

Keep in mind that the issues that have popped up with COVID in the cruises in Europe have mostly been issues with getting a COVID free crew on board, not issues with passengers bringing it on board.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

They violated the rules and as a result they really paid for it.

Nice to see the rules getting enforced.

Though I suspect if they had not enforced the rules as approved by the Italian Government they would have lost the ability to continue cruising.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Don't quite know what you mean, but I also enjoy going off on my own. I don't like being herded around. I don't consider that breaking the rules. Just would not want to cruise without that sort of freedom.

There is a huge difference between choosing NOT to go on a restrictive cruise and waiting until the dust settles to cruise again; or choosing to accept the restrictive rules while fully intending to break them and endanger your fellow passengers and the whole fragile start up of the cruise industry.

You are making a responsible choice, the family that got booted did not.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Nope, sorry.  They didn’t follow the rules.  Don’t show up for lifeboat drill and you will also be kicked off even though you paid for it.  There are rules that cannot be broken and the cruise lines are very specific about it.  Do it and you forfeit your fare and your trip.  

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Even on HAL ships, and less perilous times, I’ve seen people put off at the next stop for violations. On rowdier lines, it’s much more common. Cruise Critic even has articles warning you of what you can get the boot for. And no, you don’t get a refund or FCC.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

They violated the terms of agreement for the cruise and they were rightly put off. I'd be really surprised if there was not language in the cruise contract or shore excursion agreement that leaving the bubble was grounds for termination of their cruise with no compensation. I'm sure the corporate lawyers would insist on coverage of this issue. 

In my minds they were incredibly irresponsible and could have put the other passengers and crew of the ship at risk. The industry is in a precarious situation right now and it does not need another Diamond Princess type fiasco at this time. 

• Like 8

That type of cruise isn't for me. I want to get out and explore the alleys and back streets. But, I understand why MSC is doing it that way now. Of course, the other issue I foresee is a much high cost if they have to social distance onboard the bus they;kk at twice as many, so it gets more expensive. 

I'll wait a year or so and hope there is a better solution by then.

7 hours ago, boom_boom said:

That type of cruise isn't for me. I want to get out and explore the alleys and back streets. But, I understand why MSC is doing it that way now. Of course, the other issue I foresee is a much high cost if they have to social distance onboard the bus they;kk at twice as many, so it gets more expensive. 

I'll wait a year or so and hope there is a better solution by then.

One has but just a few hours in port and you explore the alleys?

igraf

1 hour ago, igraf said:

igraf

I suggest what he means by exploring back streets and alleys is to get away from the tourist traps and experience the real flavor of a town.  You can see a lot in the 8 to 12 hours we are typically in a port.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, igraf said:

igraf

Better than spending a few hours exploring the diamond shops and T shirt kiosk's!   😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The cruise line did the right thing - the expectations were laid out and the family deliberately chose to ignore them.  It would be interesting to hear their side of the story, although we likely never will.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂 🙂🙂

• Like 3

Not sure how serious MSC really is.

On The Princess board there are pictures of the dining room staff wearing only shields (this pic is from the thread), no masks. Humm. That is not at all suitable considering the waitstaff are above you and their droplets can easily drop down into guests faces.

Not impressive and in violation of MSC stated guidelines.

MSC1.thumb.jpg.b13141c24f4c37c0b204fcb5b52464d0.jpg

I'm glad that companies are now taking it seriously. Kudos to Walmart for requiring masks in-store.

I have absolutely no problem with masks and distancing on a cruise. For excursions to be bubbles. It's a safety requirement. MSC has my support.

Look on the bright side. A ship with half occupancy is like a dream. Peace and quiet.

• Like 3

Have we heard anything from this "family?" It would not surprise me if they were ringers, providing  MSC a way to get into the news, appear conscientious, and warn other would-be deviants of the consequences of not following the party line. I wonder how many of the other passengers really failed to toe the line, and were either undetected or overlooked? Such passengers, along with the "it's my cruise, I paid for it" outrageous element, are part of the reason a lot of us won't be cruising anytime soon.

19 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Look on the bright side. A ship with half occupancy is like a dream. Peace and quiet.

Don't get too excited. Grandiosa sailed with 70% passenger load -- that's still 4400 passengers for this megaship. Way too many for me...

19 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I'm glad that companies are now taking it seriously. Kudos to Walmart for requiring masks in-store.

I have absolutely no problem with masks and distancing on a cruise. For excursions to be bubbles. It's a safety requirement. MSC has my support.

Unfortunately I still see a lot of customers enter walmart with no masks and nobody says anything to them.  Others come in with a mask, walk by the signs that say mask required, then pull mask down to wear around their necks.

It's like they go out of their way to actually have a mask and then refuse to wear it...some kind of weird political or conspiracy theory statement.  Frankly I view it as a statement that "I don't care if I infect you, your grandparents, or anyone else cause it is my right to follow or ignore rules that i disagree with"....I suppose using that logic they are also ok with people who don't stop for stop signs, red run lights, drive 100 mph.  Sad selfish ignorant people in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dockman said:

Unfortunately I still see a lot of customers enter walmart with no masks and nobody says anything to them.  Others come in with a mask, walk by the signs that say mask required, then pull mask down to wear around their necks.

It's like they go out of their way to actually have a mask and then refuse to wear it...some kind of weird political or conspiracy theory statement.  Frankly I view it as a statement that "I don't care if I infect you, your grandparents, or anyone else cause it is my right to follow or ignore rules that i disagree with"....I suppose using that logic they are also ok with people who don't stop for stop signs, red run lights, drive 100 mph.  Sad selfish ignorant people in my opinion.

Went into  a Walmart with a friend recently and he had left his mask in my car. The person at the door said, "Do you have a mask?", and he went back to get it. So, our local Walmart does check.

But I do agree about those who end up (not only in Walmart) with their masks only covering their chins.

2 hours ago, latserrof said:

Have we heard anything from this "family?" It would not surprise me if they were ringers, providing  MSC a way to get into the news, appear conscientious, and warn other would-be deviants of the consequences of not following the party line. I wonder how many of the other passengers really failed to toe the line, and were either undetected or overlooked? Such passengers, along with the "it's my cruise, I paid for it" outrageous element, are part of the reason a lot of us won't be cruising anytime soon.

latserrof, excellent piece of sleuthing - precisely done!  Good chance it is a fake item for corporate benefit.

If I was on that vessel (never would) - I would be enraged to see my health compromised by those waitstaff who do not have masks.

MSC does not take virus minimization seriously giving the dining room approach.