MSC is serious about its protocols

Cruise Suzy

On 8/20/2020 at 9:49 PM, USN59-79 said:

I suggest what he means by exploring back streets and alleys is to get away from the tourist traps and experience the real flavor of a town.  You can see a lot in the 8 to 12 hours we are typically in a port.  

I was being facetious, but it really bothers me to see how people on this forum are so unwilling to give up the smallest personal liberties to help deal with this pandemic.  Of course, when these people get infected they will go to to hospital and demand that the health workers risk their lives to help.  And that will be after they spread it all over the ship.

igraf

31 minutes ago, igraf said:

I was being facetious, but it really bothers me to see how people on this forum are so unwilling to give up the smallest personal liberties to help deal with this pandemic.  Of course, when these people get infected they will go to to hospital and demand that the health workers risk their lives to help.  And that will be after they spread it all over the ship.

igraf

I don't see it that way.  The people on this forum are willing to follow the rules if they choose to cruise at the present time.  But many or most of them choose not to cruise if they will have no freedom while off the ship.  That is how I and they are dealing with the pandemic: by staying at home.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dockman said:

Unfortunately I still see a lot of customers enter walmart with no masks and nobody says anything to them.

Unfortunately true.

Yesterday, I had a revelation. Most people don't understand how masks work, and how to wear it properly. That's why there are so many people unable to breathe through masks. Reject the masks that could save lives.

I was being served by a 20-year old in a shop. He was wearing his mask very loose, almost exposing the nostrils. I gave him a significant look. He pulled up his mask but said that he couldn't breathe properly.

I'm afraid that I lost it then. Told him that I was wearing a 5-layer filter insert. That he had to breathe through the mask in order to allow the material to filter his breath.

What the governments have not done is to invest in education for the masses. How does the mask work? What are the best types of mask?

Actually, the cruise ship should add an educational program hosted by the medical officer. Include masks as a topic.

I would recommend that we experiment with different masks to see which works best for you. Once you can breathe comfortably at a walking pace, you're realize that the mask is your friend.

Then stock up. Likely to see a major problem when flu season rolls around again. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Edited by HappyInVan

On 8/22/2020 at 10:54 AM, igraf said:

igraf

Suggest you read more carefully. No one is saying they are going to flout the rules. The poster you responded to ACTUALLY said this:

"I want to get out and explore the alleys and back streets. But, I understand why MSC is doing it that way now."

No reason to whip up a tempest in a teapot. Some of us are just saying that this scenario doesn't appeal to us, so we won't cruise -- for now.  When we can once again be free to get off the ship and roam on our own, I will be back.  In the meantime, I wouldn't dream of booking a cruise like this one and then NOT following the rules.

It may be the "smallest of personal liberties" to you, but to me, the freedom of planning my time ashore and managing it on my own it is one of the major reasons why I travel by ship. I enjoy the rest of it (to a degree) but could easily do without in the absence of being allowed this "liberty".

• Like 2

I'm glad they are serious and enforcing policy. Delta airlines has banned about 250 people so far for not wearing masks, I'm hoping Delta has banned them for life.

In California we have outdoor dining but you are supposed to be wearing a mask unless you are actually putting something in your mouth (food or drink) but no once complies with this and there are people sitting 4 to a table talking to each other with their masks off.

Rules are worthless unless enforced.

P.

13 hours ago, kangforpres said:

I'm glad they are serious and enforcing policy. Delta airlines has banned about 250 people so far for not wearing masks, I'm hoping Delta has banned them for life.

In California we have outdoor dining but you are supposed to be wearing a mask unless you are actually putting something in your mouth (food or drink) but no once complies with this and there are people sitting 4 to a table talking to each other with their masks off.

Rules are worthless unless enforced.

P.

We ate on a deck in a restaurant here, and the rule was that you had to wear a mask when no seated at the table. The tables were spaced a distance apart.

It was on our anniversary. On the same date last year, we were the only ones on the deck with lots dining inside. This year most of the deck tables had customers, and I'm not sure if anyone was eating indoors.