Where was I?

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

So the hint for the town is 'Yellowknife' which is actually a city according to the sign.

Yellowknife Hwy.

Dettah Ice road

Have a nice dinner.

I only wanted the name of the town/city, that road won’t be there after the thaw, those houses in the first pic where on the lake, the owners will need a boat to get to them in summer.We went out on that frozen lake on those skidoo’s to watch the northern lights, it was a great experience .

1 hour ago, qbay46 said:

I only wanted the name of the town/city, that road won’t be there after the thaw, those houses in the first pic where on the lake, the owners will need a boat to get to them in summer.We went out on that frozen lake on those skidoo’s to watch the northern lights, it was a great experience .

What made you pick Yellowknife to visit? I have heard of it previously. Was it just for the Northern Lights?  

27 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

What made you pick Yellowknife to visit? I have heard of it previously. Was it just for the Northern Lights?  

Yes we went there to see the lights and picked Yellowknife because we had relative in Vancouver and they came with us. The fun of going out on the frozen lake in the night and watching the lights was something you have to do to really know how special it is.

1 minute ago, qbay46 said:

Yes we went there to see the lights and picked Yellowknife because we had relative in Vancouver and they came with us. The fun of going out on the frozen lake in the night and watching the lights was something you have to do to really know how special it is.

I couldn't agree more............we have seen the northern lights in Alta, Norway, but I read Yellowknife is one of the best and more likely places to see the lights. It is on my radar to get to one day to experience the lights again. I have communicated with a local guide there who talked me out of going there in December for a white Christmas, instead going in March. Much more to do he said including, on average, seeing the northern lights on 28.1 nights!!! I like those odds! 

12 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

I couldn't agree more............we have seen the northern lights in Alta, Norway, but I read Yellowknife is one of the best and more likely places to see the lights. It is on my radar to get to one day to experience the lights again. I have communicated with a local guide there who talked me out of going there in December for a white Christmas, instead going in March. Much more to do he said including, on average, seeing the northern lights on 28.1 nights!!! I like those odds! 

It look us 3 nights before we saw the lights, we went in February and we found plenty to do, every night we did something different but the experience of driving the skidoo’s out on the frozen lake at night was the top, we went out to a cabin and stay there while we watched the lights, when you got cold went inside where they had hot food and drinks to get you warm.I would love to do it agin maybe one day.

13 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Well if the place was a bit hard to guess

You can have the bonus photo

it is taken in Australia   and you are looking at the road into the place   so where was I ???

874995679_thephoto.thumb.jpg.7e1eaeb10645b4f1bcd9f222cd447e98.jpg

The Kimberley area of WA?  The Gibb River Road.

Edited by Aus Traveller