Where was I?

12 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Warrnambool (at least that's what the web address of the photo says) 😜

Very clever, yes it is. The only place we have been since March. It is looking down on the main caravan park and over to the right is Lake Pertobe out to Lady Bay.

Leigh

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

If you do a Cape Horn cruise, most of the cruise lines stop at Ushuaia, I often spell it wrong, probably have this time.

The stop before theire is often the Falklands, which is where stopped  also and tendered ashore, just don't tell the Argies you went to the Falklands, it is the Malvinas to them, Argentine Sovereign Territory then think, although the British differ.  I recollect a couple of pax going ashore in Ushuaia with T shirts emblazoned 'Falklands.'  The ships security officer at the gangway advised the pax to change into something different, so as not to cause problems in town with the locals.

We flew to Ushuaia at an ungodly hour in the morning to join a cruise in the afternoon.  From there, we visited three islands in the Falkland Island, South Georgia and Antarctica.  When the tour guide on a short bus trip asked us where we were going next, there was dead silence.  She answered her own question "Antarctica?".  When we returned, it took a lot of negotiation to get permission for us to disembark.  It was one of the times where British ships were having problems with Argentina.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

It looked lush and tropical.  Does it have beaches?

Yes, there is a swimming beach either side of the tender wharf although you need reef shoes as there is a lot of broken coral on the beach. You sometimes see turtles there.

Plus it's a ten minute walk to Jinek Bay for superb snorkelling. It's a marine reserve. The numbers allowed in the water are limited to 100 people in the morning and the same in the afternoon. You pay a small fee to snorkel there but it's worth it.

There is usually a small market near the tender wharf and also so food stalls. The filled baguettes are delicious.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, there is a swimming beach either side of the tender wharf although you need reef shoes as there is a lot of broken coral on the beach. You sometimes see turtles there.

Plus it's a ten minute walk to Jinek Bay for superb snorkelling. It's a marine reserve. The numbers allowed in the water are limited to 100 people in the morning and the same in the afternoon. You pay a small fee to snorkel there but it's worth it.

There is usually a small market near the tender wharf and also so food stalls. The filled baguettes are delicious.

I think the market is not as good as it once was unfortunately. We always try and buy something to support the locals when there though. We have swum on both sides of the tender wharf. 

Leigh

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

We flew to Ushuaia at an ungodly hour in the morning to join a cruise in the afternoon.  From there, we visited three islands in the Falkland Island, South Georgia and Antarctica.  When the tour guide on a short bus trip asked us where we were going next, there was dead silence.  She answered her own question "Antarctica?".  When we returned, it took a lot of negotiation to get permission for us to disembark.  It was one of the times where British ships were having problems with Argentina.  

A few years ago our ship and another were denied entry to Ushuaia because we visited Stanley in the Falklands.Prior to that they were protesting over the Malvinas in Argentina. 

Sadly, the locals were deprived of tourist income. We filled in the day exploring some great Chilean fjords.

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It looks a nice place.  I don't think I've been that far on the Coastal road.  

I think it is. It is very much a holiday town in summer, thousands come to camp through January. My family has roots there back to the 1850s. 

Leigh

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

I think it is. It is very much a holiday town in summer, thousands come to camp through January. My family has roots there back to the 1850s. 

Leigh

Did your family camp in summer or live there?  We used to have a lot of camping grounds like that on the South and North Coast, where the mother stayed with the children for the whole school holidays and the father took his annual holidays, then came down on weekends.  Campers used to know each other for generations.  I think it was a good life.  

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I'd like to do the whole Coast road from Melbourne to Adelaide one day.  

13 minutes ago, bazshirl2 said:

A few years ago our ship and another were denied entry to Ushuaia because we visited Stanley in the Falklands.Prior to that they were protesting over the Malvinas in Argentina. 

Sadly, the locals were deprived of tourist income. We filled in the day exploring some great Chilean fjords.

Yes the Argies bunged on that drama for a while and as you say the locals suffered badly.

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It is a great drive, we did it about 6 years ago, ye olde Ocean Rd and beyond, came back via Broken Hill, round trip.

I was born and brought up in Warrnambool. My parents, brother and many cousins still live there. Many of the campers would be from local areas, particularly farming families or from Melbourne. 

We would spend most of the summer at the beach, walking nearly three kms there and the same back. Sometimes Mum and Dad would come down later with a picnic dinner. Always plenty of cousins around to look after us. 

Leigh

7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I was born and brought up in Warrnambool. My parents, brother and many cousins still live there. Many of the campers would be from local areas, particularly farming families or from Melbourne. 

We would spend most of the summer at the beach, walking nearly three kms there and the same back. Sometimes Mum and Dad would come down later with a picnic dinner. Always plenty of cousins around to look after us. 

Leigh

The cheese factory would have expanded Leigh, what with the output and different labels.  Yes I recollect Warrnambool was a a nice place, we had a couple of nights there on the road trip. Did I spell it right, I get that spelling wrong too.  Purchased some of this yesterday, pricey but very tasty...

download.jpg

Edited by NSWP

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I did it as a coach tour last November with 3 days on Kangaroo Island at the end (total 10 days). Had wanted to do it for a long time - so glad now I got to do it when I did. It may be a while until these things are possible again ..

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1

Helinski ?   I should know, did the Baltics/Scandinavia on Sapphire Princess in 2018, but so many places you visit, you forget what they look like.

Edited by NSWP

20 minutes ago, boeckli said:

I did it as a coach tour last November with 3 days on Kangaroo Island at the end (total 10 days). Had wanted to do it for a long time - so glad now I got to do it when I did. It may be a while until these things are possible again ..

For a moment, I forgot about the virus and the closed borders, and thought that would be a great coach tour to do.  We have holidayed on Kangaroo Island several times and I look forward to returning when the National Park and its lighthouse cottages are repaired.