Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

On 3/16/2021 at 8:45 AM, All-ready2cruise said:

I agree with this. I wouldn't upgrade until just prior to the cruise. 

Click on the link for the list of beverages. This is from 01/2020.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/premium-plus-beverage-package-2020.pdf

Good luck with the cruise, hope it sails. 

Cheers

It's the same price to upgrade before the cruise as it is on day one, yes?

I'm thinking of waiting so I can use my OBC on the upgrade, but if it gets more expensive, maybe I'd be better off using it on something else.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 1:09 PM, WarfRatWA said:

Sthrngary,

Excellent.  Very much appreciated.  I don't anticipate any shortage of wine as we are sailing H2 and will likely select wine for our 3 bottles.  I was just looking to educate myself in event the situation arose.  Can never be too prepared.  lol.  Not worried about breakfast as I wouldn't want wine to get in the way of my Bloody Mary.

Most helpful, thanks again. 

Cheers! 

WarfRatWA:

I am also booked for the H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite for the NCL Joy in the end of November. You and I both will have a great time.  May I offer you a strategy.  Look on line at the "Selected" wines by the bottle when you are doing the "Premium Plus" package.  Compare that to the wine offerings for the three bottles in your room.  If the same wine is available, you might, key word might want to order another selection for your room choice.  Also, something tells me you not only like wine, you like nice wine.  Consider asking your butler to replace the complementary Champagne with a bottle of wine.   That Champagne is well, not so great.  Cruise, eat and drink well. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 9:20 AM, AstoriaPreppy said:

It's commonly known by NCL cruisers because NCL is the only cruise line that charges gratuities on a "complimentary" beverage package. Celebrity tried to implement the same policy, which only lasted a few weeks. The outcry was overwhelming, and they backed off immediately.

I could not agree more.  I really dislike this add-on by NCL.  I also cruised Celebrity as well as many other brands.  When you compare cruise prices with add-ons to no add on's like the drink program.  The fairs are surprisingly similar. Basically, it is all the way they choose to market.  In the good old days, perks or specials were wonderful to find.  Today, the lines cross check each other hourly to stay competitive.  The good news is the consumer can not simply choose what product they like the best. Cruise well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 11:38 PM, Sthrngary said:

WarfRatWA:

I am also booked for the H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite for the NCL Joy in the end of November. You and I both will have a great time.  May I offer you a strategy.  Look on line at the "Selected" wines by the bottle when you are doing the "Premium Plus" package.  Compare that to the wine offerings for the three bottles in your room.  If the same wine is available, you might, key word might want to order another selection for your room choice.  Also, something tells me you not only like wine, you like nice wine.  Consider asking your butler to replace the complementary Champagne with a bottle of wine.   That Champagne is well, not so great.  Cruise, eat and drink well. 

Those are both stellar recommendations which I will most certainly take you up on.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge.  It is appreciated.  I hope you enjoy your November sailing as much as I know we'll enjoy ours.

On 3/16/2021 at 5:23 PM, JustAPilot said:

Who knows what this will all look like after this pandemic is over. I have my doubts NCL will continue to offer premium spirits if they return to normal cruising. Look at some airlines, still offering boxed meals and no alcoholic beverages because “Covid”, more like penny pinching at this point. 

JustAPilot:

You make a good point.  I have a completely different take on this. First a little background.  I am a 5 million miler with Delta.  I traveled when 9/11 happened.  The hangs had more to do with fear then penny pinching.  Yet you are correct, eventually some services were reduces.

On cruise lines it is a different deal especially during the first year that cruises start up.  All brands want banner reviews.  They want no issues.  The want to attract not only frequent cruisers whom are their loyalty base, they want and need to bring back other people to the fold.  You can't do that if you start to Penny Pinch.  

Now a year from now when the clients start coming back, the full fleet is cruising and people start forgetting a pandemic that shut down; I do think the cruise lines will start playing games to improve profit.

I have to add something here just because I am old and cranky.  I wish that all products and services would just raise the darn price and leave the quality alone. I get marketing a low price to get folks to buy and all.  The issue is if the product, service, food, entertainment, ect. are down hill, people are disappointed and won't come back. You wrote your comment they way you did because you, like me have been disappointed in the past and don't want to be disappointed in the future. 

Just my thoughts!!!

• Like 5

On 3/15/2021 at 5:10 PM, purpleally said:

Went to dinner with another couple that did not have upgrade. Had three bottles at dinner.  Glasses were brought out for all four of us. We also were able to order bottles at lunch. We were not able to order Veuve by the bottle nor bring bottles back to our room. I asked. 

Is this true even at Le Bistro?  For some reason I thought they were the only restaurant that served it by the bottle. 

On 4/1/2021 at 5:31 PM, UKWildcatCruiser said:

Is this true even at Le Bistro?  For some reason I thought they were the only restaurant that served it by the bottle. 

Not referring to Veuve.  Any time we ordered a bottle of selected wine in the Haven Restaurant, we took it back to our suite.  Never an issue.  The ship was the Getaway, November 2019.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 10:10 AM, Sthrngary said:

WarfRatWA:

You both can order a bottle of selected wine.  Example, my wife orders white and I order red wine.  That is no issue at all.  We never attempted to get a bottle at Breakfast however I give it a 99.99% chance they would accommodate you.  Folks have adult beverages at breakfast all the time.  What I can confirm is lunch and dinner are no issue at all.  Bottle water from any bar is also no issue at all anytime. 

On the bottle being opened prior to taking them with you, my experience is yes.  They want to make sure the person with the plan is not taking wine to give to someone else.  Kind of petty but I can work with that system.  All my wife wants is a bottle with a couple of glasses of wine for the balcony at night when we come back to the room.  Sometimes we have two open bottles, lunch and dinner.

I hoped I help you and enjoy your trip. 

I am not really a drinker but I am going to purchase this package for my Norwegian Joy cruise out of Jamaica in Sept 2021. ( I love coffee and bottled water) I am going solo but I purchased a balcony room and love the idea of bringing wine back to my room to enjoy on my balcony. Can you please sure share you thoughts on what wine I should try? 

Thank you 

Tracie

14 minutes ago, Summerstravel said:

I am not really a drinker but I am going to purchase this package for my Norwegian Joy cruise out of Jamaica in Sept 2021. ( I love coffee and bottled water) I am going solo but I purchased a balcony room and love the idea of bringing wine back to my room to enjoy on my balcony. Can you please sure share you thoughts on what wine I should try? 

Thank you 

Tracie

Tracie:

I wish I could.  I can do one better.  On the bottles of selected wine for the Premium PLUS Beverage Package, there is a list on the NCL website under Premium PLUS Beverage Package.  That clearly tells you what your selected options are for Bottled wine.  If the list does not suit you, you many want to reconsider the package.  However, I think it will satisfy you and remember when you are in any bar, you can have a glass of wine other then those selected bottle.  The PLUS package allows you to get wine that is over $15.00 per glass within reason of some super high priced wine.  

I hope I helped you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Tracie:

I wish I could.  I can do one better.  On the bottles of selected wine for the Premium PLUS Beverage Package, there is a list on the NCL website under Premium PLUS Beverage Package.  That clearly tells you what your selected options are for Bottled wine.  If the list does not suit you, you many want to reconsider the package.  However, I think it will satisfy you and remember when you are in any bar, you can have a glass of wine other then those selected bottle.  The PLUS package allows you to get wine that is over $15.00 per glass within reason of some super high priced wine.  

I hope I helped you. 

This is great yes you helped so much! I really appreciate all your information! 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 2:29 PM, Summerstravel said:

We never attempted to get a bottle at Breakfast however I give it a 99.99% chance they would accommodate you.  Folks have adult beverages at breakfast all the time.  What I can confirm is lunch and dinner are no issue at all.  Bottle water from any bar is also no issue at all anytime. 

Just remember with NCL it is 5 'o' clock somewhere !

And closing note with any of the beverage packages shortly after midnight on the last night

of the sailing the bar closes on your account - take a few drinks back to your cabin for the

last hurrah in the morning - maybe different in the Haven with restaurant and bar.

Thank you, @Sthrngary. Very helpful. I wish there were some way only 1 of us could upgrade. You see, my wife isn't much of a drinker, at all. At most, she'll have a cocktail at dinner, maybe a fruity drink during the day, and possibly a glass of wine or champagne. And she doesn't drink coffee. I did the math and with gratuities included, a 7-day cruise would cost almost $500 ($487 and change). It just isn't worth it for only one of us to take advantage of the package, even though it does include all drinks and coffees, plus juices and waters. We've debated this issue pretty much every time we've been on a cruise, and what usually happens is this: we way over-order in order to get our money's worth for the package, and end up overdrinking. I think I'd rather pay as I go. I also like the fact that NCL only charges you the difference between $15 and the pricier drink. MSC makes you pay the full amount.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you, @Sthrngary. Very helpful. I wish there were some way only 1 of us could upgrade. You see, my wife isn't much of a drinker, at all. At most, she'll have a cocktail at dinner, maybe a fruity drink during the day, and possibly a glass of wine or champagne. And she doesn't drink coffee. I did the math and with gratuities included, a 7-day cruise would cost almost $500 ($487 and change). It just isn't worth it for only one of us to take advantage of the package, even though it does include all drinks and coffees, plus juices and waters. We've debated this issue pretty much every time we've been on a cruise, and what usually happens is this: we way over-order in order to get our money's worth for the package, and end up overdrinking. I think I'd rather pay as I go. I also like the fact that NCL only charges you the difference between $15 and the pricier drink. MSC makes you pay the full amount.

I hope I understand your concern.  I am going to make an assumption.  You both will get the Perk of the "Premium Drink Package".  Based on that assumption, one person in your party can upgrade to the "Premium Plus Drink Package". Here is how.  You wait until you are on board, and you buy it them.  The issue with doing it now is their computer program won't allow it.  On board, no issue.  I have five traveling all over 21.  Everyone has the perk Premium Drink Package.  When I get on board, I will upgrade just my wife and my self.  Problem solved.  I hope that helps you.

36 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I hope I understand your concern.  I am going to make an assumption.  You both will get the Perk of the "Premium Drink Package".  Based on that assumption, one person in your party can upgrade to the "Premium Plus Drink Package". Here is how.  You wait until you are on board, and you buy it them.  The issue with doing it now is their computer program won't allow it.  On board, no issue.  I have five traveling all over 21.  Everyone has the perk Premium Drink Package.  When I get on board, I will upgrade just my wife and my self.  Problem solved.  I hope that helps you.

Is the cost to upgrade the same onboard as it is doing so in advance?  I'm going to have about $250 of nonrefundable credit on my next cruise, and getting the Premium Plus sounds like it could be a good way to use that.

1 minute ago, Named-Tawny said:

Is the cost to upgrade the same onboard as it is doing so in advance?  I'm going to have about $250 of nonrefundable credit on my next cruise, and getting the Premium Plus sounds like it could be a good way to use that.

Here is the issue.  That should be enough however, there is some kind of rule about using FCC to buy things like Excursions and Drink Packages.  You can do it before cruise with a phone call.  On the cruise sometimes it is not possible.  I would ask them.  I don't want you to be mad once you are on the ship.  That is the time to relax.

43 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Thank you, yes it does indeed help me. I was going by the fine print on NCL's website saying that all people in the same cabin had to have the same package. It's good to know there's a workaround once on board. This is really helpful information, since I think it *would* be worth it for me to upgrade. Thanks again for your kind assistance.

• Like 1

For those of you who feel $30/pp/day on top of the "Premium Drink Package" is too much to pay ( and it might be if NCL didn't include this drink package - $99/pp/day - with most /?all of their cruises), look what it gains you:

Bottled water ( the one maddening thing that is NOT included in the premium package that most people would want)

Specialty coffees - want that caramel latte/espresso/mochaccino and not pay $5-10 per ? 

Bottles of wine (as has been mentioned many times above) - saves on waiting on wine/beverage stewards to serve you ( try to find one after appetizers are served on any mainstream cruise line)

Veuve champagne - worth the $30 upcharge alone.

Gratuities included - no nickel and diming every time you order...

Wish they had this on our fall 2018 Getaway transatlantic cruise...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Here is the issue.  That should be enough however, there is some kind of rule about using FCC to buy things like Excursions and Drink Packages.  You can do it before cruise with a phone call.  On the cruise sometimes it is not possible.  I would ask them.  I don't want you to be mad once you are on the ship.  That is the time to relax.

Oh, it's not FCC, it's OBC ($150 in OBC from a booking bonus, and $100 from the Shareholders bonus).  I don't think I can use it UNTIL I'm on the ship.  Was I misinformed?

• Like 1

Another drink package work around is if you are traveling with someone with a medical condition that prevents them drinking. Such as a diabetics you have your doctor write you a letter requesting a reasonable accommodation for your disability because of a medical conditions you can't drink alcohol. I think they have to purchase the soda package. I have not tried this myself but I have heard of others who have. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

Oh, it's not FCC, it's OBC ($150 in OBC from a booking bonus, and $100 from the Shareholders bonus).  I don't think I can use it UNTIL I'm on the ship.  Was I misinformed?

You will be fine.  I have a email that I got when I sent a document to the President of NCL Harry S.  When I get confused on a topic, I sent that email a question.  I do this very rarely.  My issue was the same as yours.  I wanted the Premium Plus Drink plan for my wife and I.  I did not want it for the other three in my cabin.  He assured me that once I got on board, I could do that.  I, because it is whom I am, saved the email for proof.  

As I said, I am a little crazy that once I get on a cruise, no contradictions happen on my planning so I can completely relax. So I take a folder with me.  Since taking that folder, I have had NO issues.  Funny how keeping a record of what folks say keeps things in order.  LOL.  Cruise Well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You will be fine.  I have a email that I got when I sent a document to the President of NCL Harry S.  When I get confused on a topic, I sent that email a question.  I do this very rarely.  My issue was the same as yours.  I wanted the Premium Plus Drink plan for my wife and I.  I did not want it for the other three in my cabin.  He assured me that once I got on board, I could do that.  I, because it is whom I am, saved the email for proof.  

As I said, I am a little crazy that once I get on a cruise, no contradictions happen on my planning so I can completely relax. So I take a folder with me.  Since taking that folder, I have had NO issues.  Funny how keeping a record of what folks say keeps things in order.  LOL.  Cruise Well.

And was it the same price onboard as it was pre-cruise?