Insurance refunds take longer?

Can anyone tell me why it takes much longer to get the insurance refunded than any other refund of a cancelled cruise. This has happened more than once and I can't seem to get a straight answer out of RCCL. I booked directly through them and their Vacation Protection Plan that they offer. It literally takes weeks after the rest has been refunded. Appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

RCI's refunds are done based on their internal cost center, this is why you get your refund in pieces that do not really make any sense to you.  As for the insurance, I would think that they need to coordinate the internal cost center with the insurance carrier to get it done, resulting in a lengthened refund time.   (This is only a guess based on my knowledge of how they allocate costs).

First mistake is thinking that the cruiseline (in this case RCCL) and the insurance company have anything to do with each other.

They are 2 separate companies. Yes, you bought the policy from RCCL, but the policy is written and administrated by an entirely different (and highly regulated) insurance company. The only thing they have in common is that RCCL gets a commission for selling it to you.

So, back to your question, RCCL can internally research and account for any refunds internal to their processes much faster than an outside insurance company. RCCL only has to account for their internal processes. The insurance company has to investigate your claim, they have to communicate with you, they have to communicate with the cruise line, they have to ensure they are within the guidelines of your State and the Govt regulations, then the findings have to be approved, then they can issue a ruling.

We got the last of our refund for our May cruises about 2 weeks ago back to our cc.  It was apparently the insurance part and the last bit to make up the total.  We received most about 2 months ago and the rest with this piece.  We've since cancelled our Nov b2b cruise and expect a refund of our deposit in the next couple of months.