Carnival Cruise Line - Cancellation Advice

XSpicy1

An eternity ago---January 13, 2020 (2 months before Covid stoppage) we booked a cruise on Carnival for a November 5, 2020 departure.  My Mom, 80 years of age with underlying medical conditions that are well controlled, two sisters and myself.  We booked 2 cabins.  After developing pneumonia following a cruise that disembarked 2 March 2020 and the Covid pandemic with no end in sight, my Mom has decided she never wants to cruise again.  She feels it it just too risky for her.  We have been waiting for the November cruise to cancel but still no cancellation.  She had, of course, made the deposit and one additional payment on the cruise.  There is still a balance to be paid.  I called Carnival on Wednesday because final payment is due tomorrow.  I explained the situation and was told, sorry she would lose the $150 deposit. She could try filing a claim against the insurance.  Has anyone had success in a situation like this?  I am thinking I can get a medical statement from her doctor advising her not to cruise at this time.  Appreciate any advice.  TIA

Edited by XSpicy1

1 hour ago, XSpicy1 said:

An eternity ago---January 13, 2020 (2 months before Covid stoppage) we booked a cruise on Carnival for a November 5, 2020 departure.  My Mom, 80 years of age with underlying medical conditions that are well controlled, two sisters and myself.  We booked 2 cabins.  After developing pneumonia following a cruise that disembarked 2 March 2020 and the Covid pandemic with no end in sight, my Mom has decided she never wants to cruise again.  She feels it it just too risky for her.  We have been waiting for the November cruise to cancel but still no cancellation.  She had, of course, made the deposit and one additional payment on the cruise.  There is still a balance to be paid.  I called Carnival on Wednesday because final payment is due tomorrow.  I explained the situation and was told, sorry she would lose the $150 deposit. She could try filing a claim against the insurance.  Has anyone had success in a situation like this?  I am thinking I can get a medical statement from her doctor advising her not to cruise at this time.  Appreciate any advice.  TIA

That is a difficult question because one must file for a covered reason in order to get reimbursement from insurance. Medical, of course, is covered, but your Mom is not sick now. She just doesn’t want to get sick, understandably so. Even with a doctor’s note, I’m not sure it would work because fear of getting sick is not covered.

As far as I know, cruises from the US have been suspended through October. I don’t really expect November cruises to go either, but you would be taking a chance to pay final payment. At least you’d get all your money back if the cruise line cancelled. If you cancel, it looks like you’d lose the deposit.

Edited by Babr

As stated, insurance won't cover because she just doesn't want to go due to her concerns. She could cancel under the "CFAR" that Carnival Insurance provides, but that won't get her any money back. Only a credit.

She could have cancelled long ago and gotten all of her money back, when she was in the 100% refund timeframe for cancellation. However, she gambled and is now on the short end of the stick.

In for a penny, in for a pound... She gambled this long waiting for Carnival to cancel,,, might as well continue with the roll of the dice.

On 8/21/2020 at 12:46 PM, XSpicy1 said:

Hi XSpicy1,

A good rule of thumb is to ask your Mom this question: “If the Coronavirus wasn’t happening, would you cancel your trip today?”

If the answer is “No”, then don’t let your Mom cancel her trip today because it’s unlikely she will be able to prove it it is a covered claim.

I hope this helps.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1