Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

49 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Perhaps

IMG_1621.JPG

43 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

That is the Andania, above.

I found a larger version of that photo in this article from The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2015/may/26/175-years-of-cunards-transatlantic-voyage-in-pictures

The photo is described as follows.

"August 1913

The RMS Andania, built for Cunard’s London-Canada, arriving in the Surrey commercial docks. It was torpedoed by a U-boat in 1918."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think I've found this one. I'm able to match quite a few of the features in this photo to Sihanoukville, Cambodia.

Congratulations @bluemarble, it is indeed Sihanoukville, Cambodia. The photo was taken from the top deck of the tender whilst returning to the ship following a shore excursion. This was QM2’s maiden call to Sihanoukville, Cambodia on 15 February 2015.

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I found a larger version of that photo in this article from The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2015/may/26/175-years-of-cunards-transatlantic-voyage-in-pictures

The photo is described as follows.

"August 1913

The RMS Andania, built for Cunard’s London-Canada, arriving in the Surrey commercial docks. It was torpedoed by a U-boat in 1918."

Thank you. That was the first Andania. I was originally looking for a picture of the second Andania or one of her sisters who operated the service between the wars, only to be sunk in their turn. But it shows the Surrey Docks were a significant port for Cunard over many years.

21 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Since I've offered to add Surrey Docks to our Cunard ports list for @exlondoner, should we now also consider adding the King George V docks you mentioned earlier @Colin_Cameron?

I thought they were much closer together than they are. A quick look at Google Maps shows that George V, Greenwich and Surrey Docks are about the same distance apart as the NY ports. And Tower Bridge is further away still!

It's only a game. We can make any rules we like.🙂

The Surrey Docks were a complex of ten or twelve individual docks. @exlondoner do you know if there was a collective name for the George V, Royal Albert and Royal Victoria Docks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I looking through the list of ports one more time, I identified four that I have visited - only one of which was on a (non-Cunard) ship. One of them was from my pre-digital camera era (25 years ago, roughly), so I would need to find the box with pictures from that year and hope to find something useful. One was on a work trip, for which I evidently didn't take any pictures - or at least nothing I could find. I'm having difficulty finding a picture for one of the remaining two that the location would not be immediately obvious to everyone - if I can't find anything better, I'll post it just to get the port included.

My fourth port on the list is one I do have pictures of, and they were actually taken from a ship, no less. They are a bit nebulous as to identifying characteristics, but if we get into too much difficulty, I have one more from that port that might be more identifiable. So, to start it off, two pictures of the same port taken within hours of each other (bonus points for naming the ship):

1834227168_Portphoto.thumb.jpg.04da519c91b5655dc615b6e5c9ccb5ea.jpg

1725691975_Portphoto2.thumb.jpg.fbf1dc99c8f072a8ee9705e313bbcfc2.jpg

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I thought they were much closer together than they are. A quick look at Google Maps shows that George V, Greenwich and Surrey Docks are about the same distance apart as the NY ports. And Tower Bridge is further away still!

It's only a game. We can make any rules we like.🙂

The Surrey Docks were a complex of ten or twelve individual docks. @exlondoner do you know if there was a collective name for the George V, Royal Albert and Royal Victoria Docks?

They were known as the Royal Docks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I looking through the list of ports one more time, I identified four that I have visited - only one of which was on a (non-Cunard) ship. One of them was from my pre-digital camera era (25 years ago, roughly), so I would need to find the box with pictures from that year and hope to find something useful. One was on a work trip, for which I evidently didn't take any pictures - or at least nothing I could find. I'm having difficulty finding a picture for one of the remaining two that the location would not be immediately obvious to everyone - if I can't find anything better, I'll post it just to get the port included.

My fourth port on the list is one I do have pictures of, and they were actually taken from a ship, no less. They are a bit nebulous as to identifying characteristics, but if we get into too much difficulty, I have one more from that port that might be more identifiable. So, to start it off, two pictures of the same port taken within hours of each other (bonus points for naming the ship):

I think this port is Hakodate, Japan and the ship is Celebrity Millennium. Your posting history was instrumental in figuring that out.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, Host Hattie said:

Correct that's Milford Haven, I hadn't realised it was a Cunard port but google tells me that Texaco chartered Mauretania in 1964 to bring guests to the opening of their new oil refinery.

I haven't been able to find any photos of her but I'll keep looking, I should think she was impressive sight. 

Here's another one showing a variety of craft on the Haven.

IMG_20210617_132732168.jpg

Neither had I and that is my Home Town. 

My 'cruising' claim to fame there was when we did a round Great Britain cruise in 2008 on Saga Rose...

1241949421_SagaRoseinMilfordHavenSR.jpg.259864d27a7cef597a8afed63ee05808.jpg

I recall that when I'd mentioned it being my home town to the Captain  he invited me onto the bridge to sail  into the harbour. A most satisfying experience.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think this port is Hakodate, Japan and the ship is Celebrity Millennium. Your posting history was instrumental in figuring that out.

Correct, obviously. I guess one could say my talkative nature gave the answer to those who know where to look.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, exlondoner said:

They were known as the Royal Docks.

19 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Doh!

@bluemarble That's probably the best way to list the George V dock.

Very good. To get "London (Royal Docks)" added to our list of ports we've seen, I'll contribute this photo from Wikimedia Commons showing Alsatia in King George V dock on 25 August 1955. My research tells me this Alsatia was only used in cargo service by Cunard. Clearly not the most famous Cunard ship to use the Royal Docks, but this image is free to use with attribution.

1024px-London_King_George_V_Dock_Cunard_

Attribution: Ben Brooksbank / Cunard Line 'Alsatia' in King George V DockCC BY-SA 2.0

Don't have any pictures of this port on the list but a couple from a shore excursion might provide some clues. If anyone has done this tour they might recognise the provided suits.

We hadn't booked an excursion at this port but were advised that this was the one port on the cruise where we really should do a tour because there was nothing else to do here. Well, we could have gone to the dump to watch the bears scavenging (didn't sound too bad to me). Unfortunately we missed the highlight of the week's festivities. If we'd been here on a Wednesday we could have watched the traffic light change.

048.jpg

049.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 2:46 PM, ExArkie said:

Since I've already identified a port today (this one), I'll go ahead and overdo things, as I so often do, by trying to identify the other ships in these photos -- the ferries. I think that's Asakaze No.5 of the Seikan Ferry line in the first photo. It's harder to tell in the second photo, but it looks to me like that's Hayabusa No.3 of the same line in that second photo. Hayabusa No.3 happens to show up in Google Maps views of the area.

22 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Well this one shouldn't be too difficult to the super sleuths, scanned from an old pre-digital photograph...

126769293_WhereintheWorld126.jpg.c5ddf92cc1e183859b754908046c3559.jpg

Another popular building on the 'excursion' list of this port, hopefully another clue before I show the more obvious sites...

1769273596_WhereintheWorld124.jpg.74917db13446c0b679913aabc6fbba28.jpg

11 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Don't have any pictures of this port on the list but a couple from a shore excursion might provide some clues. If anyone has done this tour they might recognise the provided suits.

We hadn't booked an excursion at this port but were advised that this was the one port on the cruise where we really should do a tour because there was nothing else to do here. Well, we could have gone to the dump to watch the bears scavenging (didn't sound too bad to me). Unfortunately we missed the highlight of the week's festivities. If we'd been here on a Wednesday we could have watched the traffic light change.

048.jpg

049.jpg

The logo on the jackets is for "Mustang Survival" which is a US/Canada company.  We're out of Canada ports on the unseen list, so that implies US.  You mentioned bears, and that implies Alaska.  So I'll try a guess of  Wrangell, Alaska?  Google maps shows it as a rather thinly settled area.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2021 at 3:33 AM, Solent Richard said:

Well this one shouldn't be too difficult to the super sleuths, scanned from an old pre-digital photograph...

126769293_WhereintheWorld126.jpg.c5ddf92cc1e183859b754908046c3559.jpg

I won't lay claim to the title "super sleuth," but I am getting a match to this building as Galeri Laksamana Cheng Ho (Gallery of Admiral Cheng Ho) in  Melaka City, Melaka, Malaysia.

58 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I won't lay claim to the title "super sleuth," but I am getting a match to this building as Galeri Laksamana Cheng Ho (Gallery of Admiral Cheng Ho) in  Melaka City, Melaka, Malaysia.

Congratulations @ExArkie , the port is Malacca. I didn't want to make it too easy with the other photograph I have...

981540544_WhereintheWorld125.jpg.b200957a429d70af006cdc991a309c4d.jpg

Malacca was of course one of  Queen Victoria's scheduled stops on her 2019 World Cruise which was later dropped in place of Port Klang. That was a shame because I had looked forward to updating my memories with  digital photographs.

That of course will hopefully be completed this December as we have scheduled a 3 day stopover in Malacca as a precursor to our main holiday stay in Langkawi.

Again, congratulations.

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

One last unseen port for which I have photos. I have a couple that make the answer pretty obvious, so let's start with these two showing the same location from different angles.

Port1.jpg.44d0a1427ea6798693cc1e2ba67c53f4.jpgPort2.jpg.660452352222982cbe8a7379c46e5328.jpg

The American flag on the boat in the first photo helped focus the search for this one. This looks like Harbour Town Pier at Hilton Head, South Carolina.

58 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The American flag on the boat in the first photo helped focus the search for this one. This looks like Harbour Town Pier at Hilton Head, South Carolina.

Yes, it is. Other photos I had of Hilton Head either included the iconic Harbour Town Lighthouse (first one below) or gave it away entirely, as in the second one below...where the signal flags spell out "Harbour Town" and the US flag pretty well narrows the field of places that may be so named.

Port4.thumb.jpg.18fb11e7610ec17aab4fe9eaa5bcfa29.jpgPort3.jpg.d7c3404ea7fd4cf105c4f58d3f26de1a.jpg

• Like 1