Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Perhaps one of the Iceland ports?  EM

Fortunately, it is a much warmer place.

While the larger area has to offer several more interesting sights and cities, the port town itself is rather limited, basically a major street, a few alleys, a church and the viewing point from which the first photograph was taken. I met up with friends who happend to vacation not far away and we spent most of the day at the beach right next to the port - swimming, playing with the children, enjoying wine and picknick. (Thus gladfully not Iceland 😉 )

38 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

While we're trying to figure out @carlmm's latest set of port photos and clues, here is another contribution of mine. I think this is the last photo I have of a Cunard port we haven't seen on this thread yet, taken from a ship on another line.

image.thumb.png.9638657487694ba935c7a5ff012e136a.png

Could this be Cartagena, Colombia?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

Could this be Cartagena, Colombia?

Yes, it is. We've seen Cartagena, Spain on this thread earlier and discussed how it shares the same name as the port in Colombia. Now we've also seen the Cartagena that's in Colombia.

• Like 1

I've found photos of another Cunard port we haven't seen yet on this thread from a visit on another cruise line. Here are three views of the cruise pier at that port. Not a lot to go on, but maybe someone will recognize this port or be able to figure it out.

image.thumb.png.46cac83a499c408205f7d28aafac202b.png

image.thumb.png.e03220ce5097fa5455ca3ddd1d4e1440.png

image.thumb.png.1c1359a92916bea1741927abfd03a589.png

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I've found photos of another Cunard port we haven't seen yet on this thread from a visit on another cruise line. Here are three views of the cruise pier at that port. Not a lot to go on, but maybe someone will recognize this port or be able to figure it out.

image.thumb.png.46cac83a499c408205f7d28aafac202b.png

image.thumb.png.e03220ce5097fa5455ca3ddd1d4e1440.png

image.thumb.png.1c1359a92916bea1741927abfd03a589.png

I'll take a stab at Puntarenas, Costa Rica.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, North West Newbie said:

I'll take a stab at Puntarenas, Costa Rica.

Well done! We've previously seen Punta Arenas, Chile on this thread. Now we can add Puntarenas, Costa Rica (which we've mentioned has a similar name) to the list of ports we've seen as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2021 at 6:48 AM, carlmm said:

Let's add two different perspective to above unidentified port of mine.

One picture shows the tender dock and one the view back.

Quest N 1b.JPG

Quest N 1c.JPG

It took some determination, but I think I've finally figured out this port. I'm getting a match for these photos with Propriano, Corsica.

• Like 2

How about this one? I found another photo of a Cunard port from a cruise we took on another line. I trust this won't take long to identify.

image.thumb.png.540bfb5a120a4dde8a82328bbc84c77c.png

By my count this is the 200th different port to have been pictured on this thread. When @Host Hattie started this topic five months ago I never imagined we'd reach that number. Hats off to everyone who has participated to keep this going so long, well past 2000 posts now. It's been great fun and an excellent diversion.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, l2luv2cruise said:

Sydney, NS, Canada.

Correct. Continuing my recent trend of posting photos to complete Cunard port name pairs, we've now seen both Cartagena ports, Punta Arenas and Puntarenas, and now both Sydney ports (Australia and Nova Scotia).

Edited by bluemarble

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

We've probably had this port before but this is a former Cunard ship there

FB_IMG_1611660204449.jpg

I don't think we've seen this port yet. This looks like Eidfjord, Norway. It's not listed as such on my Cunard itineraries, but I've found a photo of QM2 there. Further searching revealed an online QM2 itinerary that lists Eidfjord as her destination on 29 July 2005. I just have the more general Hardangerfjord listed for QM2 on that date in my itineraries.

I'm going to say the ship is Fred. Olsen's Braemar, previously Cunard Crown Dynasty, and also previously shown in one of your earlier photos along with QM2 at Arrecife.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Correct on both counts, when we visited on Braemar in 2010 there was a photograph of QM2 in pride of place by the tender drop off.

Excellent. We now have Eidfjord as an official "E" port to add to the list of ports we've seen on this thread. We don't have to stretch using South Queensferry (for Edinburgh) or Kusadasi/Izmir (for Ephesus) to get an "E" port anymore.

That leaves "X" as the only first letter of a port name that we haven't seen yet. Xiamen and Xingang, China are the only two possibilities for Cunard "X" ports that I'm aware of. Somehow I don't think @carlmm's latest photo shows either of those ports in China.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Something tells me @sfred might just possibly perhaps have a photo (sunrise or otherwise) of a Cunard port we haven't seen here yet. 😉

I thought we would have had this very common Cunard port in this thread already, but a search suggests not. To amend the gap, here are two contributions.  There's also just enough info in the second photo to guess the ship.

image.thumb.png.d471fbea856ca0129661247fa668ccd7.png

image.thumb.png.c876e8e66ea9bb8d3d2ab9195376fe2f.png

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

Here's another common Cunard port that I was going to post today in the "sunrise" thread, for the reflection off the buildings as we approached the pier.  But a search here indicates that while we've had this port in the anagram games, it doesn't look like we've seen it yet.

image.thumb.png.21efde858bacc74e9a14e4e116237316.png

10 hours ago, sfred said:

I thought we would have had this very common Cunard port in this thread already, but a search suggests not. To amend the gap, here are two contributions.  There's also just enough info in the second photo to guess the ship.

image.thumb.png.d471fbea856ca0129661247fa668ccd7.png

image.thumb.png.c876e8e66ea9bb8d3d2ab9195376fe2f.pngOh yes. Hongkong.DSC01607.JPG

And the QM2.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 1