Celebrity - Alaska - VIA Rail Sleeper Class Upgrade

shirazcruiser

We are booked on a Celebrity Alaska cruise followed by a land tour including an overnight on the VIA Rail Sleeper Plus class cabin from Vancouver to Jasper. Has anyone upgraded to the Prestige Class and if so, how was it and approximately the difference is cost?  Any info would be appreciated. Please no responses for driving and booking independent hotels/train as DH is adamant about relaxing and leaving the scheduling and driving to someone else. 

I’ve only done VIA in regular class.   There are details on their website    Have you referenced that?    

It’s an extremely section.    Are you at least overnight in Lake Louise/Banff?   

4 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

We are booked on a Celebrity Alaska cruise followed by a land tour including an overnight on the VIA Rail Sleeper Plus class cabin from Vancouver to Jasper. Has anyone upgraded to the Prestige Class and if so, how was it and approximately the difference is cost?  Any info would be appreciated. Please no responses for driving and booking independent hotels/train as DH is adamant about relaxing and leaving the scheduling and driving to someone else. 

I have yet to travel on VIA Rail, but I have done quite a bit of research regarding a trip from Vancouver to Toronto on The Canadian.  The price difference between Sleeper Plus and Prestige Class is significant.  The amenities also are different, not surprisingly.  The major one (that was important to me) was when Sleeper Plus passengers had access to the Dome seating.  Prestige Class had use whenever they wanted to do so.  There were some restrictions for Sleeper Plus, but, if I recall correctly, those restrictions changed depending upon the season of travel.  

There is a VIA Rail Message Board on the Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum that you might find useful.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have yet to travel on VIA Rail, but I have done quite a bit of research regarding a trip from Vancouver to Toronto on The Canadian.  The price difference between Sleeper Plus and Prestige Class is significant.  The amenities also are different, not surprisingly.  The major one (that was important to me) was when Sleeper Plus passengers had access to the Dome seating.  Prestige Class had use whenever they wanted to do so.  There were some restrictions for Sleeper Plus, but, if I recall correctly, those restrictions changed depending upon the season of travel.  

There is a VIA Rail Message Board on the Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum that you might find useful.

Thanks for responding. I didn't realize there were particular times for Dome seating for Sleeper Plus. One significant perk for the Prestige Class is that you have a double bed vs bunk beds. Climbing a bed ladder isn't high on my list. I've looked at the VIA Rail website, but couldn't price anything. I'll have to call them.  

1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

I'll have to call them.  

Amtrak is in flux as well as VIA Rail as to what they can offer due to the pandemic.  

VIA Rail's schedules have been impacted as has Amtrak's.  Honestly, I don't think that you can depend on much of what you learn today as compared to what it may be tomorrow.  

I do think that the differences between Prestige Class and the Sleeper Plus Class on VIA Rail will remain. 

6 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I’ve only done VIA in regular class.   There are details on their website    Have you referenced that?    

It’s an extremely section.    Are you at least overnight in Lake Louise/Banff?   

Yes, I have reviewed their website, but I was looking for personal experience. We overnight  at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel.

I'd reconsider VIA - the timing of the train, despite changing a few years ago so that you actually do see something on the first day, has nothing significant in terms of scenery until you get beyond Hope... depending on the date of your cruise (i.e. when is sunset) you might get some nice views for 3-4 hours but since VIA runs through the night you are going to be sleeping through the bulk of the mountains. Next morning when you wake up you should have plenty to see once the sun is high enough to illuminate the valleys until you arrive in Jasper at 11am.

If you are seriously considering upgrading to Prestige class, compare the price with Rocky Mountaineer (who are mad pricey, but all their train travel is during daylight hours in a 'dome' carriage). If you want to just climb on a vehicle rather than drive yourselves, but aren't willing to just throw money around willy-nilly, do a coach tour - at least with those you get to stop at scenic viewpoints and take photos that are not through glass, and again they'll travel in daylight like RM does with overnights in hotels i.e. regular beds, no bunks!

• Like 1

For those interested, I just spoke with Celebrity Cruisetour Dept and was informed that Prestige class is not available on the Vancouver to Jasper route as it is only available on tickets for 2 nights or more.  The only upgrade is to remove the wall between 2 cabins which allows you to have 2 lower beds combined. 

On 8/24/2020 at 12:17 PM, shirazcruiser said:

For those interested, I just spoke with Celebrity Cruisetour Dept and was informed that Prestige class is not available on the Vancouver to Jasper route as it is only available on tickets for 2 nights or more.  The only upgrade is to remove the wall between 2 cabins which allows you to have 2 lower beds combined. 

This is what we requested, the additional cost was $1,000 total.

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

This is what we requested, the additional cost was $1,000 total.

Did you find that it was worth $1,000 since it's only 19 hours?  The single cabins look very "tight" and efficient. Celebrity quoted me the same price and DH is fine with booking the 2 cabins. 

1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

Will you be sailing before Sept 2021?  If so, I'd be interested in your opinion on this cabin.  We're also disappointed that there isn't an upgrade with a private shower. 

I have been following your discussion about no upgrade possible.  Just an idea, but have you spoken with VIA Rail if such an upgrade is possible?  Celebrity may be telling you "one thing" that could be different from what VIA Rail might say.  If such an upgrade is allowed by VIA Rail, armed with that knowledge and speaking with a Supervisor in Celebrity's shore excursion's department, you might be able to obtain what you want.

Just trying to be helpful!😀

RKA Cruiser: I'll reach out to them; however, I've looked at the website and there doesn't appear to be anything between Sleeper Plus and Prestige. There were some sample prices for routes and Prestige Class was about 4X the price of Sleeper Plus. Even if it were available, I wouldn't pay 4X more for a 19 hour journey. 

18 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

Will you be sailing before Sept 2021?  If so, I'd be interested in your opinion on this cabin.  We're also disappointed that there isn't an upgrade with a private shower. 

We are sailing on Eclipse in August 2021.  Our trip ends in September.

20 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

RKA Cruiser: I'll reach out to them; however, I've looked at the website and there doesn't appear to be anything between Sleeper Plus and Prestige. There were some sample prices for routes and Prestige Class was about 4X the price of Sleeper Plus. Even if it were available, I wouldn't pay 4X more for a 19 hour journey. 

Well, as I said, it was just a suggestion.  I know from the research that I have done for a trip on The Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto, there is a significant difference in the prices between Prestige Class and Sleeper Plus.  The off-season fare differential is more reasonable (in my estimation), but the in-season fare differential is a WOW!  

I appreciate your suggestion and initial post advising that the difference between Sleeper and Prestige was significant. I was very surprised just how significant that was. I would love to travel in Prestige, but that's a little more than I can justify...so Sleeper Plus it is.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

I would love to travel in Prestige, but that's a little more than I can justify...so Sleeper Plus it is.  

I'd never book Prestige Class during the in-season period.  Off season?  Yes, I probably would.  Just for the "heck" of it.  I hope that I will be able to travel VIA Rail in the future, particularly on The Canadian.  The reviews are so much fun to read and their service and amenities are so much different from Amtrak's.