Mississippi River Cruise 2023 - Newbie

flashman69

VIking are advertising for these new cruises starting in 2023. Long way out of course and it’s a new “ship” and maybe bigger than usual but as a complete newbie to river cruising was wondering if any general comments about best cabins to choose on these VIking ships. I ask now as have a good discount if book by end  of month at present 

VIking are advertising for these new cruises starting in 2023. Long way out of course and it’s a new “ship” and maybe bigger than usual but as a complete newbie to river cruising was wondering if any general comments about best cabins to choose on these VIking ships. I ask now as have a good discount if book by end  of month at present 

If you do plan on booking this far in advance, make sure you confirm what the final payment date will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, flashman69 said:

States 4 months before travel. Its only $500 ea for deposit

I've very surprised by that, because in Europe Viking requires payment 1-2 yrs. in advance.

Just now, Roz said:

I've very surprised by that, because in Europe Viking requires payment 1-2 yrs. in advance.

Has less to do with where the cruise is and more to do with where you live.  Flashman69 is booking in Australia and the rules are different; same for NZ and UK. Paying in full so far in advance does not fly in those market but at the same time, as I understand it, the deposit is not refundable.

Where he booking in the US/Canada market he would be plunking down his payment in full closer to booking than to actually sailing.

50 minutes ago, flashman69 said:

States 4 months before travel. Its only $500 ea for deposit

Mississippi cruises are selling out very quickly.  If want a specific cabin or a specific date, you may want to book sooner rather than later to get what you want -- and to lock in the current prices. If you are flexible, cabins will come and go between now and when you actually want to sail but the prices are sure to change over the next few years, probably not for the better.

• Like 1

Yes appreciate it is a new ship and bigger than most VIking but judging by Cruise ships they follow a similar floor plan but was really looking for more general tips eg make sure on top 2 decks, if sailing south be on port/bank side etc:) . Never done a river cruise 

Need to book by end of week to get “ deal” but it’s not a super deal really 

The Mississippi is a very wide river, and not very scenic, so I personally don't think port or starboard makes any difference.  In the places where there is scenery you may want to view it from a top outside deck rather than your stateroom.  That's what I've done on the Rhine and Danube.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The Lower Mississippi river is not very scenic, the Upper Miss is very scenic (St. Louis - St. Paul).

Usually a riverboat docks bow upriver. But whether you dock on the right or left bank depends on the itinerary (the towns you stop). So it can be both sides on a cruise. Therefore it doesn´t really matter which side of the ship your cabin is located. But the Viking boats are completey different to any other riverboat on the Mississippi river system. They even denied adding a stage (gangplank) and are trying to build floating docking areas like in Europe or a concrete pier where they can dock alongside. This is pretty weird as you definitely need a stage in certain situations (sometimes you can´t dock at the regular docking area and need to "choke a stump" - tie up the boat on a tree). In many towns the river bank is sloping into the river but is also paved or bricks like in St. Louis. There´s no place for a floating docking area. Same for Cincinnati or Vicksburg.

So no one really knows how they will do it until the first of their boats are out.

Avoid cabins in the aft as there could be noise from the engines.

steamboats

• Like 1

14 hours ago, flashman69 said:

Yes appreciate it is a new ship and bigger than most VIking but judging by Cruise ships they follow a similar floor plan but was really looking for more general tips eg make sure on top 2 decks, if sailing south be on port/bank side etc:) . Never done a river cruise 

I don't think there are going to be super deals at any point but I also think that prices will rise making today's deals look better in retrospect. IMHO, it is a tough choice because once a deal is gone, you can't turn back the clock. Do you take today's deal or do you wait to see?

I would think in terms of what you have to lose, in actual dollars, if you have to cancel or decide to change your booking. I don't know the cancellation rules in Australia and how much you stand to lose and I don't know how trip insurance works for you if you do decide to cancel, especially under the Risk-Free guarantee program. However, I think that these are the critical questions in your decision-making process because only you can decide how much money you are willing to kiss good-bye. How does the booking process work? How does it work if you cancel the cruise? How does it work if you have to move the booking (in the US it is usually considered a cancellation and a new booking)?

I would also suggest a very thorough read of all the fine print on the AU website before you book because once you pay your deposit you are locked into a contract -- and Viking takes its contracts seriously: Booking Terms & Conditions >, Terms & Conditions,  Passenger Ticket Contract, Risk-Free Guarantee Program.

Its $500 each deposit which we could lose if something significant happens and on a $20k cruise and probably $35k holiday in general will wear that. Have 30k tied up in an African holiday from March 2020 which we may never see, 10k in flights been waiting 5 months for Qantas to refund etc. These are uncertain times for international travel but prepared to risk $1k on 2023.

We paid $1000 each deposit for our Viking Homelands Cruise in Sept 2021 back well in 2019 - who would have thought that may still be in jeopardy in 12 months? Qantas wont be flying international until at least July 2021 - yes there are other airlines but there is a reason Qantas are doing that

2 hours ago, flashman69 said:

Also should add at present that VIking currently have a “ risk free guarantee” for bookings made before end of month

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com.au/risk-free-guarantee.html

Note that the risk free guarantee is not a cash back offer but involves a combination of cash and future cruise vouchers, based on the cancellation penalty matrix spelled out in the fine print.

In the US, the penalty phase kicks in at 120 days prior to the start of the trip. Before that point, you get $100pp as a voucher and the balance in cash. After that point, you get whatever amount Viking would have kept a  voucher (instead of losing it completely) and the balance in cash.

15 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

In the US, the penalty phase kicks in at 120 days prior to the start of the trip. Before that point, you get $100pp as a voucher and the balance in cash. After that point, you get whatever amount Viking would have kept a  voucher (instead of losing it completely) and the balance in cash.

As I read the one offered here can cancel up to 24 hrs before and get a voucher for full value to use within next 24 months. Very similar to what Qantas have been offering lately. Nothing is perfect but as said for $1000 happy to book very early and roll the dice 

17 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Cincinnati is located on the Ohio River - mikes from the Mississippi.

I know that Cincinnati is located on the Ohio River but usually the riverboats do navigate on the whole Mississippi River system as far as they can (Tennessee River, Illinois River, Cumberland River, Ohio River, Upper and Lower Mississippi River). I know that Viking doesn´t do the smaller rivers (Cumberland, Tennessee oder Illinois). I´m not sure whether they do the Ohio river. I´ve done them all but on smaller boats than Viking´s.

steamboats

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

I know that Cincinnati is located on the Ohio River but usually the riverboats do navigate on the whole Mississippi River system as far as they can (Tennessee River, Illinois River, Cumberland River, Ohio River, Upper and Lower Mississippi River). I know that Viking doesn´t do the smaller rivers (Cumberland, Tennessee oder Illinois). I´m not sure whether they do the Ohio river. I´ve done them all but on smaller boats than Viking´s.

steamboats

Viking is just entering the Mississippi market; the first scheduled sailings are for the end of 2022 on ship that is currently being built. So far, if Viking has further plans for the region, they have not been discussed publicly. 

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking is just entering the Mississippi market; the first scheduled sailings are for the end of 2022 on ship that is currently being built. So far, if Viking has further plans for the region, they have not been discussed publicly. 

I know... I haven´t checked their 2022 itineraries yet and I don´t know whether they do stay on the Lower/Upper Miss or also go up the Ohio river.

steamboats

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

I know... I haven´t checked their 2022 itineraries yet and I don´t know whether they do stay on the Lower/Upper Miss or also go up the Ohio river.

steamboats

Just out of curiosity and because I'm bored, I checked the Viking website, and it doesn't appear they include any ports on the Ohio.  It's strictly the Mississippi.

@flashman69, if you take this cruise, you will have the opportunity to see more of the US than many residents have seen.  You'll also get to experience two completely different cultures - the Delta South and the Midwest.  Have fun with the Louisiana and Mississippi accents. 😁  If anyone tells you they think you talk "funny", you can return the favor.  

American Cruise Lines definitely goes to the upper Mississippi and the Ohio, but they've been sailing there for years--not a newbie like Viking.   American Queen may do so as well.  

I wonder if Viking has any interest in sailing on the Columbia---that has much more appeal to us than the Mississippi.  Much more scenic.  As of now Both ACL and AQ have ships on the Columbia (well, not right NOW, given COVID, but, you know what I mean!!)

Edited by sharkster77

21 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

I wonder if Viking has any interest in sailing on the Columbia---that has much more appeal to us than the Mississippi.  Much more scenic.  

The Columbia River is definitely on my to do list.  My plan was to continue to do European river cruises until I could no longer do the overseas flights, then switch to domestic rivers.  If the ban on out of country travel continues for an extended period, I may be sailing the Columbia River sooner than I expected.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

No Ohio river in the near future. The ships may be too big.

Map of the Americas Great River itinerary

I might sound very silly right now , but this is like the very first time I see where the Ohio river is.. and where it goes. For some unknown reason, I always believed that it was going from west north to somewhere in the East south. Well, now it looks much more interesting to me.. maybe I should try it out one day