Mississippi River Cruise 2023 - Newbie

flashman69

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking is planning 6 ships on the Mississippi, so maybe the Ohio is a future project.

Along with the ships from other lines already doing Mississippi itineraries, I wonder if there's actually a demand for 6 more ships?  

I’ve been looking at the Mississippi.  I just can’t justify the cost however.  We could fly to Europe and do Viking again for less.  11k for a week is a lot for us.

The steamboat line looks a bit more reasonable especially if we go with an inside.  That would be ok with us since we wouldn’t spend much time in our cabin anyway.  Would we be comparing Carnival to Viking if we went with with them?  They are half the cost of Viking.

We actually live close enough to drive.  So I’ve also done some research about driving from New Orleans to Memphis,  doing a lot of the same sights over a week.  That would be about 2 k less even staying in nicer B and B’s.  Of course we don’t get the same vibe, narrated tours, food etc. So I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to take a river boat I guess.

We do love Viking!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

Just curious flashman69; did you end up booking this River Cruise? We are very tempted 🤔

Yes we did. Seems a long way off now of course but only $1000 and our September 2021 cruise is looking less likely each month 😰

4 hours ago, flashman69 said:

Yes we did. Seems a long way off now of course but only $1000 and our September 2021 cruise is looking less likely each month 😰

It isn’t so far away and so much can happen between now and then - a vaccine perhaps 🙂

We have booked a half World from Dover to Sydney on Coral Princess in 2022

This one has me very tempted - just have to talk to DH about it. Have till the end of the month for an offer Viking still have running 🤔

10 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

It isn’t so far away and so much can happen between now and then - a vaccine perhaps 🙂

We have booked a half World from Dover to Sydney on Coral Princess in 2022

This one has me very tempted - just have to talk to DH about it. Have till the end of the month for an offer Viking still have running 🤔

Have  been to USA several times but never this area so seemed a great way to see Memphis and New Orleans 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, flashman69 said:

Have  been to USA several times but never this area so seemed a great way to see Memphis and New Orleans 

New Orleans and Louisiana are unlike any other area of the US with their strong French influence.  Memphis of course has a rich music and civil rights history, along with being part of the whole Mississippi Delta culture.  I hope you get to visit eventually.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 7:57 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

I’ve been looking at the Mississippi.  I just can’t justify the cost however.  We could fly to Europe and do Viking again for less.  11k for a week is a lot for us.

The steamboat line looks a bit more reasonable especially if we go with an inside.  That would be ok with us since we wouldn’t spend much time in our cabin anyway.  Would we be comparing Carnival to Viking if we went with with them?  They are half the cost of Viking.

We actually live close enough to drive.  So I’ve also done some research about driving from New Orleans to Memphis,  doing a lot of the same sights over a week.  That would be about 2 k less even staying in nicer B and B’s.  Of course we don’t get the same vibe, narrated tours, food etc. So I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to take a river boat I guess.

We do love Viking!

I made the same determination a couple of years ago, so we decided to "drive" the MIssissippi.  We flew to New Orleans, spent three days there; and, then picked up a rental car.  We drove all the way to Minnesota, visited with friends, taking a total of 21 days.  We visited most of the regular cruise stops along the river; and, had a great time.  Total cost for two of us was $5000, plus r/t airfare back to Los Angeles.  We actually gained a much better understanding of the various regions of the central USA, although missed the other passengers on a river cruise ship.

On 8/22/2020 at 7:39 PM, flashman69 said:

VIking are advertising for these new cruises starting in 2023. Long way out of course and it’s a new “ship” and maybe bigger than usual but as a complete newbie to river cruising was wondering if any general comments about best cabins to choose on these VIking ships. I ask now as have a good discount if book by end  of month at present 

We signed up. All the 2022 cruises were fully booked. So we snagged a cabin for May 2023. The prices are very high. We are doing the New Orleans north to St. Paul. In for a penny, in for a pound. We have had so many tours and cruises cancelled since covid started that at this point I don't care what it costs. Hopefully the Midwest will be healthy by then and we can go. It will be a nice new ship. The other lines doing these trips are mostly old and sound cheesy.  And Viking has a really good reputation. We prefer Ocean cruises but at this point I'm hanging by a thread. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...