Mediterranean Cruise in February

Jwhite268185

Hi fellow cruisers!! We just booked a 7 night Mediterranean cruise on the MSC Grandiosa in February 2022. I realize we are sailing in the winter season and to expect cold temps and possible rain. Just wondering if anyone has done a similar sailing and hoping to hear experiences. We will be traveling from the US so we are excited for the experience and will be keeping an open heart and mind! Thank you!!

First thing to check with MSC is the port times, they sometimes have short stays so it's important to know the amount of time you have before you start planning.  Also consider that in February you'll have many fewer hours of daylight to work with, although this won't be an issue for ports like Livorno (Florence) or Civitavecchia (Rome) where you have an hour or longer commute from the port to the city (by the time you get there it will be full daylight).

Edited by euro cruiser

What are your ports?  In the more southerly parts of the Med you could have quite pleasant weather; however, that's less likely the farther north you sail. 

I was in Naples in February 2020 (right before the coronavirus shut Italy down) and the weather was absolutely lovely. The other big plus will be the relative lack of other tourists.

• 2 weeks later...

If I ever do Med again I will definitely go off season. We did last summer in July and I think it was hottest on record. It was definitely a heat wave and very crowded. I would love to hear about your cruise in Feb. because I'm going to do off months next time. I would even like to go over Christmas to some places in Europe where they decorate for the season. That probably won't be a cruise though. 

I just noticed that the OP has not returned to this thread so I hope he/she is watching :).  After a lifetime of travel (45 years of extensive cruising and land travel forever) there is no way we would take a winter cruise in Europe and the Med.  But this is simply our own preference.  We would have no problem traveling to Europe in the winter although that kind of trip would certainly be on land (most likely with a rental car).  While we do love to cruise in the Med we prefer to do it when the weather onboard (and on land) is warm.  A winter cruise means spending most of the cruise time inside which is not our personal style.  As to the ports, Europe has much to offer in the winter but much of it is not to be found at ports (and nearby).  As a simple example, there is no way we would consider going to places like Capri in the wintertime (most things are closed).  On the other hand, DW and I would be happy as clams to be in Paris during the cooler months.

I cannot even "compute" February 2022 since that if beyond our normal planning.  Whether we ever resume our cruising life (we normally cruise about 100 days a year) will depend on what changes/restrictions result from COVID.  We are much less concerned with land travel (we are happy to fly in and rent a car or sometimes use the train) since we have much more control over our land travel then on a ship.  When a cruise line imposes major restrictions (such as requiring folks to take cruise line excursions) we look elsewhere.  At this time there is simply no way to know what cruise lines will be doing in 2021 much less 2022.

Hank

I think @Hlitner has given a thorough answer, and OP hasn't been back – but just in case here are the itinerary and port times for the cruise OP was considering.  You can get on in almost every port, and the ship keeps doing this loop throughout the month.  [Ironically, given the time of year, one of the options in Valetta would be to visit the spot where Saint Paul was shipwrecked on his winter Med cruise!]

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.20.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.19.01 PM.png