Cunard cancels cruises up to April 2021

Solent Richard

Should we be reading something into the fact that the whole of Queen Elizabeth's 2021 sailing have been cancelled?  I find it slightly concerning that they have consigned Alaska to the bin this far out.  Could they not have hoped to restart the season from May?  A cruise out of Southampton to Alaska sounds rather enticing to me, although I suspect the price would be prohibitive!!

Or is Cunard being smart by simply organising Med cruises now before the other lines suddenly find themselves left out in the cold and scrambling to see what itineraries are out there.

So sick of all this (like everyone else).  All we can do is hope things improve, especially by next September when DH and I are booked on the QM2's New England and Canada in the Fall cruise.  Last opportunity for us to do this one as 2022 dates don't work for us and by 2023, who knows.

In the meantime keep safe and well everyone and let's hope for the best.

3 hours ago, babs135 said:

...  A cruise out of Southampton to Alaska sounds rather enticing to me, although I suspect the price would be prohibitive!!

There was the reverse of this on the Queen Elizabeth last year at the end of the Alaska season. Vancouver to Southampton via the Panama Canal and New York was tempting, but the fare was rather steep. Of course it would have to be for such a long voyage. It was also available in segments. New York to Southampton was one of those extended 14-day crossings via Canada, Iceland, etc.

Perhaps something like this might be done when (if?) Alaska cruises resume in 2022.

Disappointment is too charitable a word to describe my reaction to Mr Palethorpe's video announcing these changes.  He  "recognizes" the "immense disappointment" of those who booked to take QM2 to Australia in 2021.  But there is not a word of recognition for the disappointment of passengers booked on QM2  to/from South America in 2022 whom he just dumped.

He is "delighted"  to announce QM2  will do a WC to Australia in 2022 and,  by his silence, presumably equally "delighted" to tell customers booked for SouthAmerica in 2022 that they can get lost, their bookings are just dumped.

This could  be a class case study in business school or how to tell one group  of customers they are immensely valued and tell another they are worthless.

Time may diminish my reaction to this appalling approach to customer relations but at this point it seems quite possible these Diamond Members will never sail Cunard again.  

8 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning Chuck and thanks for the kind comment. 

I have to confess that initially, following lockdown, we did seem fortunate to still be able to enjoy watching cruise ships pass. I photographed over 20 different cruise ships, the majority of which we had at some stage cruised on.

However, as time progressed and the numbers increased, the reality of the situation struck home and the dreadful situation we are living through, as are the cruise lines themselves,  became more and more  graphically played out before our  very eyes.

On that note I'm happy to complete the Cunard fleet on your behalf: her is Queen Elizabeth outbound on 26 July...

1866583256_QueenElizabethDeparture26July.jpg.553765a158a43100183c62fb28ab960b.jpg

Have a nice day and here's to getting back cruising. 

Hi,

Thanks for posting the photo of the Queen Elizabeth. I have sailed aboard all three ships of the current Cunard fleet. I was supposed to travel aboard the Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth again this year, but both cruises were cancelled. Along with the QM2, these are my favorite ships. My most recent cruise was on the Sky Princess in December 2019.

I understand how seeing the empty ships sailing by could be depressing. This terrible situation is dragging on much too long. 

Beginning in 1982, I have taken at least one cruise every year. Unfortunately, 2020 will end my cruising streak. In addition to my two cancelled Cunard cruises, I also had cruises for 2020 booked with Holland America and Crystal that were cancelled. I hope to return to cruising in 2021.

Chuck

Je That is so sad, I do not fly so for me QM2 is my floating airplane, I always feel safe when I do a TA, on QM2. Last year we did with Queen Elizabeth a TA from NY  and a Baltic cruise, it was wonderful. I just hope we will be able to do this again in a near future.

C Demers

Edited by R Demers

WOW, can't believe we have to wait till then to see the Majestic QM2 return sailing into New York Harbor.

Living at the entrance of the Harbor by the VZ Bridge we so miss seeing the parade of Cruise Ships in and out of the Harbor on Saturday and Sundays. Oh yes and those leaving during the week days also.

It is so thrilling to live here to see the way the traffic backs  up on the Belt Parkway along the shore from Redhook to Coney Island/Seagate. The way people pull over to watch the ships and take pictures. And I think even to see someone off that is on board.

But the best of all is the Queen Mary 2. Especially in the Fall & Winter when she sparkles in the dark passing under the Bridge.

Counting the days till mid April.

We have transferred our QM2 December ‘20 round trip to NY to the April 19 ‘21 sailing, now keeping our fingers crossed. Had to act quickly as there were only a few balcony cabins remaining!

19 hours ago, latserrof said:

Also quite possible that no one will ever sail Cunard again.

If Cunard keep treating customers the way they treated passengers booked for the QM2 South American voyages there  certainly will be a lot less people sailing on them in future.

Wow, Cunard has really made a statement here. Of course, we are very disappointed that our January QV WC segment has now been cancelled, after almost 2 years of dreaming and planning, but we do understand their decision. Resuming cruising with a World Voyage would have been very risky. However, I am appreciative that Cunard made this decision almost 5 months out from our sailing date and before our final payment was due. 

Reading between the lines of Simon Palethorpe statement, my key takeaways are:

1.    If Cunard can make the decision now, not to cruise for the next 7-9 months (depending on ship), they must be in fairly strong financial shape. Other lines are taking some big risks right now by resuming operations.

2.    The health experts, who are advising Cunard on this pandemic, must be telling them that this thing is not going to be over in the Spring, even with a vaccine, and that South America, in particular, is going to be problematic for some time. 

3.    By moving forward in the second half of 2021 with short local voyages (British Isles, Mediterranean, Crossings), Cunard is betting that there is a huge pent-up demand for cruising and that getting on the boat may be more important than where the boat goes. In this way, Cunard can resume their revenue stream while keeping risks lower. 

At this point, I think Cunard/Carnival is making the right decisions.

Jack

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

To me, these seem like unwarranted conclusions.

1.    If Cunard can make the decision now, not to cruise for the next 7-9 months (depending on ship), they must be in fairly strong financial shape. Or maybe they are preparing to fold the tent.

2.    The health experts, who are advising Cunard on this pandemic, must be telling them that this thing is not going to be over in the Spring, even with a vaccine, and that South America, in particular, is going to be problematic for some time. What "health experts"?  The only "expert" advising Cunard is Donald Arnold.

3.    By moving forward in the second half of 2021 with short local voyages (British Isles, Mediterranean, Crossings), Cunard is betting that there is a huge pent-up demand for cruising and that getting on the boat may be more important than where the boat goes. In this way, Cunard can resume their revenue stream while keeping risks lower. "Huge pent-up demand"?  Good luck on that bet. SP must be reading only CC.

21 minutes ago, latserrof said:

To me, these seem like unwarranted conclusions.

1.    If Cunard can make the decision now, not to cruise for the next 7-9 months (depending on ship), they must be in fairly strong financial shape. Or maybe they are preparing to fold the tent.

2.    The health experts, who are advising Cunard on this pandemic, must be telling them that this thing is not going to be over in the Spring, even with a vaccine, and that South America, in particular, is going to be problematic for some time. What "health experts"?  The only "expert" advising Cunard is Donald Arnold.

3.    By moving forward in the second half of 2021 with short local voyages (British Isles, Mediterranean, Crossings), Cunard is betting that there is a huge pent-up demand for cruising and that getting on the boat may be more important than where the boat goes. In this way, Cunard can resume their revenue stream while keeping risks lower. "Huge pent-up demand"?  Good luck on that bet. SP must be reading only CC.

All good counter points latserrof, thanks. It will be interesting to look back this time next year and see if Cunard is still in business and has been able to fill their boats. 

Jack

• Haha 1

Hello Everyone,

Can someone please shed some light on this 125% FCC offer?

My first cruise in April was cancelled, so I then moved it to August. That cruise was subsequently cancelled so I moved it to February 2022 (QM2). That too has now been cancelled! 

To date, Cunard has been unable to calculate exactly what my FCC should be. I have contacted Cunard on several occasions and while they have all been very polite and willing to help, I have however been given different answers each time.

My question is, how do they actually calculate the FCC? Cunard says they will give 125% FCC in respect of a cancelled cruise. Is this 125% per cancelled cruise or only a one off payment to entice us to re-book? So should I be looking forward to 3 FCC's or not?

Please help!!

50 minutes ago, O Neptuna said:

Hello Everyone,

My first cruise in April was cancelled, so I then moved it to August. That cruise was subsequently cancelled so I moved it to February 2022 (QM2). That too has now been cancelled! 

To date, Cunard has been unable to calculate exactly what my FCC should be. I have contacted Cunard on several occasions and while they have all been very polite and willing to help, I have however been given different answers each time.

My question is, how do they actually calculate the FCC? Cunard says they will give 125% FCC in respect of a cancelled cruise. Is this 125% per cancelled cruise or only a one off payment to entice us to re-book? So should I be looking forward to 3 FCC's or not?

Please help!!

One thing is for certain you wont be getting 3 FCCs.

53 minutes ago, O Neptuna said:

Hello Everyone,

Please help!!

Here's what the "Canceled Voyages" FAQ has to say.

What if Cunard has canceled a voyage that I booked with my Future Cruise Credit?

The original Future Cruise Credit value will be returned to you. You will then receive a further 125% Future Cruise Credit for the additional funds paid on the booking (if the booking was partially paid) or the difference between the cruise fare less the Future Cruise Credit on the booking (if the booking was paid in full).

====================

My interpretation of this wording is that you will retain the 125% FCC you obtained from the first canceled voyage and then be credited 125% on any additional amount that you may have paid on those subsequent bookings. If you simply transferred the FCC from the original cancellation as partial payment on the subsequent voyages without paying anything additional, then my understanding is that you will simply get that original FCC amount back to transfer to yet another booking.

• Thanks 1

I am crossing my fingers that my 22 July 2021 from Hamburg will not be canceled and that I will be able to actually fly to London and onward to Hamburg to catch it. At this point everything seems up in the air. But hope springs eternal 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here's what the "Canceled Voyages" FAQ has to say.

What if Cunard has canceled a voyage that I booked with my Future Cruise Credit?

The original Future Cruise Credit value will be returned to you. You will then receive a further 125% Future Cruise Credit for the additional funds paid on the booking (if the booking was partially paid) or the difference between the cruise fare less the Future Cruise Credit on the booking (if the booking was paid in full).

====================

My interpretation of this wording is that you will retain the 125% FCC you obtained from the first canceled voyage and then be credited 125% on any additional amount that you may have paid on those subsequent bookings. If you simply transferred the FCC from the original cancellation as partial payment on the subsequent voyages without paying anything additional, then my understanding is that you will simply get that original FCC amount back to transfer to yet another booking.

Thank you bluemarble, appreciate your guidance.

On 8/27/2020 at 2:08 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

2.    The health experts, who are advising Cunard on this pandemic, must be telling them that this thing is not going to be over in the Spring, even with a vaccine, and that South America, in particular, is going to be problematic for some time. 

What health experts could be advising them that South America is going to be problematic into 2022 but sailing into the USA in the spring of 2021 is not problematic, or at least not problematic enough to cancel Transatlantic crossings?  The QM2 South America cancellation was a pure $$$ decision, not a health one.  I would be less upset by it if not for Palethorpe's offensive video announcing it and Cunard's abominable treatment of those of us who paid deposits on South America in good faith.

Well, I do hope all of you who are expecting refunds have better service than us.

At 165 days we are still owed money from a cancellation in March for a May cruise. At 140 days+ we claimed on the credit card as being stone walled by Cunard and told to be patient. Even that went wrong. We received an amount back, minus a deposit refund sum for a cancelled cruise to Canada in October, that had hit our statement a few weeks earlier.

Looks as if this heading for the Court, as Cunard just do not respond and credit card company is still waiting to hear that, indeed, the deducted amount was from a different voyage.

So much for their complaints policy re issue and response!

At least they repaid our Canada Deposit promptly, but took it back by another means.😤

Well.  Whilst the prediction I made here way back in March, that there wouldn’t be any more Cunard cruising during 2020, now looks on the money, my booked May 2021 crossing to the US is starting to look vulnerable. If only the US could put its political divisions aside and respond to the virus challenge in a mature and sensible manner.

I live in hope😊 No winter TA’s on QM2/QV 😡 So I’ve booked August ’21 QM2-QV(ice)-QM2-I really don’t think that Cunard is anywhere near tent-folding. I think that they’re trying to sort through how to restore their best service norms in light of ever changing  info on health issues - and taking the time they need to get it right. Hope springeth eternal. 🙂  

• Like 2

I feel this will inevitably lead me to cancel my B2B sailing on May 7th 2021. I re-booked from May 2020 using my 125% credit. 

My friends who were going to do one way don't want to do it now next year, and I being so close to the proposed end of the "Pause in Operations" does not fill me with hope that it will take place at all, and if it does that it will be a particularly enjoyable experience. Had my friends been onboard it might have been OK, but I imagine there will be social distancing and a lot of changes to the way people interact, and as a solo for 2 weeks, I just don't think it is something I want to spend £4,000 doing. 

Does anyone know if I am still able to claim a cash refund for the booking? Even though it was booked using FCC from a cancelled booking? 

T5

🙁

Edited by T5LHR