Cunard Cancels More Cruises into 2021

Crazy For Cats

I wasn't thrilled to see this cross my FB feed first thing this morning.  While not totally unexpected it is disappointing.  Wonder how this will impact HAL's decsions?

Cunard extends suspension of cruising well into 2021 with Queen Elizabeth not sailing until March 25, QM2 paused until April 18 and Queen Victoria due to restart on May 16.
As well as the pause, all of Queen Elizabeth’s sailings due to depart between March 26 and December 13, 2021, in and around Australia, Japan and Alaska, will be cancelled and replaced with a programme of European itineraries ranging from three to 14 nights, departing from Southampton.
These will start with scenic voyages around the coast of Cornwall, the west coast of Ireland and the Scottish Isles. There will also be short breaks to Amsterdam to include an overnight in the city, as well as voyages to northern and southern European destinations including Norway and the Iberian coast.
Queen Elizabeth’s new programme will end with a series of seven and 14-night voyages in the Mediterranean, sailing from Barcelona.
Cunard also announced that Queen Mary 2, which has cancelled a world voyage next year, will sail a 104-night global cruise in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it seems everyone did not want to speak about the elephant in the room for the longest time. This pandemic (or at least the reaction against it) is worse than we wanted to believe. Even I had high hopes that cruising would have resumed by now and find myself disappointed. If this pause was extended into 2021 months ago perhaps I would have been shocked but today find myself numb. I recently made a decision - against my better judgement - to put down a payment on another cruise line in 2022 thinking if cruises are being cancelled that long then the industry is in real trouble. Today's announcement at Cunard (which I did toy with a possible 2021 sailing with) has me believing that perhaps all cruise lines are in survival mode and only the strong are going to come out of this alive. The longer this goes on the more scared for the industry I become. The only positive right now is that Cunard and HAL are redoing their itineraries. HAL more as a result of realigning their remaining ships leaving Cunard to be currently the only one making a public statement  from a point of where can we realistically go. I think over the next few months other cruise lines will do the same. So anyone booked on a cruise in 2021 may just be on a roller coaster. 

• Like 2

I was so sad to read this.  Our hope for a return to cruising was to drive around New Zealand in early 2022 and then sail back on the cruise that HAL does every year from Auckland/Sydney to Seattle for the Alaska season.  I was anxiously awaiting the Australia/New Zealand itineraries, but with Cunard not even sending ships there, I wonder whether HAL will also abandon the 2021/2022 season down under.

2 hours ago, mame42 said:

I found the itinerary for Cunard's 2022 World instructive.  We all know that the current HAL 2022 GWV itinerary is untenable and will undoubtedly have major changes if and when it sails.  

Would you care to explain the differences that you observed?