How do I stop Cruise brochures?

ann135

As you will all understand once you have cruised with any company you get constant mailings from them.  Beautiful expensive brochures which most of the time you don’t even open and throw away. 
We are moving from the UK to live in Spain. How do I stop the new owners of our house being bombarded by these brochures please?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

On 8/27/2020 at 7:36 AM, ann135 said:

As you will all understand once you have cruised with any company you get constant mailings from them.  Beautiful expensive brochures which most of the time you don’t even open and throw away. 
We are moving from the UK to live in Spain. How do I stop the new owners of our house being bombarded by these brochures please?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

I share your pain.  We receive regular mail from a cruise company that we've never sailed with and have no intention of sailing with (sadly too expensive for us) and it drives me mad at the waste.  I did go through a phase of returning the brochures back to them marked not known at this address' and it worked for quite some time but in the last month they've started coming again.

• Like 1

I appreciate your concern for the new owners of your home, but it's like any other junk mail and they will read what they receive or not as they wish. We used to received regular mailings from NCL but since we haven't booked with them for some time we no longer receive them, so eventually it does stop.

Viking is absolutely relentless! There is no way to stop their mailings.  I swear if you ask to be taken off their list they send you twice as many brochures.  I get mail from Regent and Oceania all the time even though the chances of me sailing with them are slim to none.

• Like 3

I was a bit puzzled - most addressed mail is delivered by Royal Mail, so are you not arranging for your mail to be redirected to your new address?

Even if you think you have updated everybody you need to update with your new address, there is always liable to be one that you overlooked, and/or one who did not update their database.

Redirection came in handy for us.

We notified all the people we needed to know our new address, and they all confirmed in writing that they had received our new address.

We kept the redirection going for a year to be sure.

Most of the redirection was unwanted stuff which went in the recycling unopened, but right at the end, we received a very important letter from a pension company, redirected from the old address.

They had confirmed receipt of our new address - but failed to update their system (received a small compensation cheque to apologise after our complaint).

Thanks everyone for your response.

Nosapphire unfortunately we can't redirect our mail because we are moving to live in Spain and at this point,  because of Covid have not been able to get there to view properties so will have to go into rental for as long as it takes.

Prior to leaving I will of course notify Royal Mail and all friends, suppliers, banks etc that we will no longer be at this address and explain to them the circumstance and that I will only be available via email for the time being.

All direct debit payments will still be in place so there shouldn't be an issue hopefully.  Although life has sadly proved that there will be some hiccups along the way!!

3 hours ago, Roz said:

Viking is absolutely relentless! There is no way to stop their mailings.  I swear if you ask to be taken off their list they send you twice as many brochures.  I get mail from Regent and Oceania all the time even though the chances of me sailing with them are slim to none.

Mark it DECEASED and send it back.

• Haha 1

We tried.  The way we solved it was by moving.

HAL sent us brochures at our old address.  At first they were addressed to the former owners.   Then DW started to get them (we were HAL customers).  Then it changed.  They were addressed to both DW and the husband of the previous home owner (did HAL know something that I did not).  Two or three emails and a phone call failed to stop them.  I gave up trying.  Just binned then in the  recycle without even looking at them.

For all I know they are still arriving at our old address.....the only mystery will be who are they now addressed to?

Edited by iancal

It's amazing that some lines still feel this is an effective way to do advertising. They must have data to suggest that it works well enough to pay for production and shipping costs.  Maybe the COVID-19 cruise business climate will result in the end of this type of advertising.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Haven't had a cruise line brochure snail mailed to me in years. I didn't realize the cruise lines were still mailing them. 

Me either...I had to request one of those nice thick RCI ones be mailed to me (and it seemed to be a big deal that I used to be able to request online) and the newest one I have is 2018-2019.

I would actually love one of those for 2021-2022 or 2022-2023...but I think they've disappeared...I always refer to them for deck plans, info etc. and their full of hand written notes I've made over the years. 

10 hours ago, Roz said:

Thankfully I no longer receive those special "two for one" offers from Oceana.   Seems like they were coming weekly then they just stopped.  We still get mailers from Viking and others.  

Not too long ago, I told the Neptune society I was going to sue them for emotional distress if they kept sending funeral brochures.  They stopped.  😄

29 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Look at it this way.  If you get enough cruise brochures and other junk mail and you have a fireplace, you can heat your home with the brochures.

DON

Maybe I am mistaken, but I think I have read that burning lots of paper in a fireplace is a fire hazard.  

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

Not too long ago, I told the Neptune society I was going to sue them for emotional distress if they kept sending funeral brochures.  They stopped.  😄

I suppose the Neptune 🧜‍♂️ Society is better than the Hemlock Society. 😧

• Haha 1

I should love to get cruisebrochures in the mail if it was the old type with deckplans, lots of pictures from the ships and prices for every cabincategory for every cruise.

Now there are very few pictures from the ships, no deckplans and almost no prices. For me that is not interesting!  

• Like 2