What Itineraries Would You Like to See Royal Bring Back or Add?

1 hour ago, Vera/Lee said:

Thanks, that's good to know! I'll look into Hurtigruten. Last summer we cruised on Princess to Alaska. It was beautiful, but I missed Royal (the benefits, knowing the ship and how they appreciate my loyalty).

I have cruised on Hurtigruten.  Hurtigruten is very good at what they do but what they do is very different than Royal and Princess or any mainstream Cruiseline.  Ships are very small, accommodations are very basic, food is good and service is excellent however it has a very different feel.  They will get you into ports along the Norwegian coast none of the other lines go to.  When we went up the Gerainger fjord we got right up close and personal with the port while other cruise lines sailed up but turned around and then sailed back not experiencing the port and not really getting very close to the port.  Entertainment, like the accommodations is spartan.  I plan on doing Hurtigruten again myself one summer but I have family is several of the ports they service so my motivations are different than most.  It is just good to know what they offer as compared the mainstream lines.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I think this is the biggest "hole" in their itinerary lineup.  I know they left the market in the mid 2000s saying they could not operate profitably on the West Coast.   Prior to Covid I always felt it was an opportunity missed in the boom economy of the last 5-7 years.  IF RCG felt there was ample $ to be made I'm sure they would return.  The fact is they feel they can make MORE money in other markets with their ships.

To be fair, at the time the cruise lines pulled out of Mexico it was more due to the violence there, some directed toward cruise passengers.

3 hours ago, yogimax said:

To be fair, at the time the cruise lines pulled out of Mexico it was more due to the violence there, some directed toward cruise passengers.

Well, it depends on the place you land. In any case I wouldnt go to any land excursion there. I would rather stay at a bar on board the ship. I am afraid of some of those third world countries. Before the pandemic I heard lots of cases of tourist being attacked by some crazy people out there

4 hours ago, yogimax said:

I disagree it was in fact the H1N1 virus. Have you looked at the violence in any other port even in the caribbean? 

Violence can happen anywhere.

5 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I disagree it was in fact the H1N1 virus.

RCI, or any other cruiseline, rarely alter their itineraries for short term issues (except current COVID issues) - very likely, like now, there's more money to be made elsewhere is the main reason they move a ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I would like a Christmas cruise but Royal do not sail out of Southampton in the winter. (We are a non flying family for medical reasons.)  

I think RCI could schedule some ships so it's possible to cruise around the world so with a layover can grab the next leg 🙂

Wow would not be a tad cold ??? out of Southampton at Christmas ☃️

19 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

I think RCI could schedule some ships so it's possible to cruise around the world so with a layover can grab the next leg 🙂

Wow would not be a tad cold ??? out of Southampton at Christmas ☃️

I love wearing jumpers. I even wear thin cardigans in summer if it not too hot.  😁

1 hour ago, Bloodgem said:

I love wearing jumpers. I even wear thin cardigans in summer if it not too hot.  😁

Has there ever been cruises scheduled through the winter out of Southampton? I would have thought the wind, rather than cold, would have been the biggest obstacle to running a schedule. 

36 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Has there ever been cruises scheduled through the winter out of Southampton? I would have thought the wind, rather than cold, would have been the biggest obstacle to running a schedule. 

I don't know about Royal but P&O sail out of Southampton during the winter.

7 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Well, it depends on the place you land. In any case I wouldnt go to any land excursion there. I would rather stay at a bar on board the ship. I am afraid of some of those third world countries. Before the pandemic I heard lots of cases of tourist being attacked by some crazy people out there

“I heard”? Maybe some facts would be nice.  There was a bus with 22 cruisers on that got robbed (in 2012) and a few ships stoped going to Acapulco and Mazatlan due to drug violence, but really cartel on cartel violence.  

There is plenty of crime and violence in the Caribbean.  I hope you stay on the ship to be safe.

I would love to see RCCL do a Hawaii / French Polynesia cruises round trip from either San Francisco or Los Angeles...........like Princess does. We are getting to the age now that long distance flying is becoming a problem - we love Bora Bora and Moorea and hope to get back there someday. On RCCL or "X" you would need to fly into or from Sydney.

• Like 5

8 or 9 night our of New Jersey on Oasis or Quantum class at Xmas time.  We had an 8 night booked for this Christmas but next year's is only 7 night.  And Christmas is the only time we could take a cruise longer than 7 nights.  On the flip side, I don't think I'd ever get DH to go longer than 9 nights as he'd get antsy.  So 8 or 9 would be perfect.

Selecting New Jersey as anywhere else is $$$ for the flight (and it's even an option for us to drive to the port if really required)

Edited by LuCruise

37 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

I would love to see RCCL do a Hawaii / French Polynesia cruises round trip from either San Francisco or Los Angeles...........like Princess does. We are getting to the age now that long distance flying is becoming a problem - we love Bora Bora and Moorea and hope to get back there someday. On RCCL or "X" you would need to fly into or from Sydney.

We've considered those Princess itineraries a few times. It would be great if Royal or X sailed them!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ashland said:

I will/have moved between RCI & X for the itinerary but not interested in moving beyond X regardless. JMHO

Any particular reason you won't try Azamara? We've had several wonderful cruises on them. Their ships can get into ports that the big ships can't. Examples....we docked in town in both St Petersburg and Helsinski and cruised up the Thames to dock in Greenwich. They also stay later in port. We had the British Isles booked with them for this July with ticket to The Open. It was Dublin to Southampton. To us it's where we go now and, sadly, RCI isn't doing a similar itinerary. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

RCI, or any other cruiseline, rarely alter their itineraries for short term issues (except current COVID issues) - very likely, like now, there's more money to be made elsewhere is the main reason they move a ship.

I guess you missed the point of the conversation.

The poster was referring to the fact that RCI pulled out of the west coast because of violence.

I referred to the fact that it was originally the H1N1 virus...Sure there then became some episodes of violence.

But those weren't targeted at tourists. There is some degree of violence in every port..Mexico is no different.

Then it turned into a money issue and then they added in environment costs. RCI had no trouble filling Viking Serenade and then Vision..it was when they tried to bring Mariner in on top of everything else happening that they decided to leave.

Well isn't/wasn't there a rumor that RCI may (was going to before the virus hit) bring a ship back to San Pedro?

Well we'll just wait and see what the future brings....Most of us here on the west coast will continue to hope.

Nothing wrong with that .. but it sure is a hot topic when ever we bring it up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I guess you missed the point of the conversation.

The poster was referring to the fact that RCI pulled out of the west coast because of violence.

I referred to the fact that it was originally the H1N1 virus...Sure there then became some episodes of violence.

But those weren't targeted at tourists. There is some degree of violence in every port..Mexico is no different.

Then it turned into a money issue and then they added in environment costs. RCI had no trouble filling Viking Serenade and then Vision..it was when they tried to bring Mariner in on top of everything else happening that they decided to leave.

Well isn't/wasn't there a rumor that RCI may (was going to before the virus hit) bring a ship back to San Pedro?

Well we'll just wait and see what the future brings....Most of us here on the west coast will continue to hope.

Nothing wrong with that .. but it sure is a hot topic when ever we bring it up.

Also took many cruises on the Monarch out of San Pedro.  Did two cruises on the Mariner during the one year that it sailed out of San Pedro.  Those cruises were dirt cheap because they could not fill the boat.  For whatever reason, Royal left San Pedro and did not look back.

42 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Price?

I personally don't care for the "small" brand luxury ships besides the price point for the same accommodations (GS/OS) I prefer on RCI & the Retreat accommodations on X. At this point in our many years of cruising history we are just more comfortable with RCI & actually fairly new to us X. I looked at Azamara and it's not our style or for us personally. For those of you that are enjoy. I just will continue to hope that RCI/X will offer some new options in their itineraries.

5 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Also took many cruises on the Monarch out of San Pedro.  Did two cruises on the Mariner during the one year that it sailed out of San Pedro.  Those cruises were dirt cheap because they could not fill the boat.  For whatever reason, Royal left San Pedro and did not look back.

I'll say again...bringing in Mariner was a big mistake....The Vision was the perfect size and the many many times we sailed on her were always sold out...that was not the problem.