Is the Pacific Princess being scrapped?

bennybear

21 minutes ago, bennybear said:

On the HAL board there is talk the Pacific Princess is heading to Turkey to be scrapped.   We were booked on her for Tahiti this fall,  and that has been cancelled.  I am hoping that is not so.  

All I could find was the points guy

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/covid-takes-out-worlds-first-megaship/

I read that on the HAL board as well and was quite concerned, but haven't seen anything here on the Princess forum. I am wondering if someone just misinterpreted the last line of the story you quoted -- which is referring to the original Pacific Princess, and not the current one. 

Fingers crossed, anyway.... 🤞.  Small ships are getting scarcer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

🤞.  Small ships are getting scarcer.

capacity wise ... all ships are going to be "small" for awhile ... just won't be able to go to some of the ports and routes the actual small ships do

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

capacity wise ... all ships are going to be "small" for awhile ... just won't be able to go to some of the ports and routes the actual small ships do

Yes, but unfortunately it is the ports angle that I care about.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Never going to happen.  Most of us love the small ships

Unfortunately it appears that most people like the monstrous horrible mega ships.  The fill them and they keep on building more of them although I can't imagine why.  Except for the very expensive cruises, the small ships are unfortunately disappearing.  If the opportunity to go on small ships disappeared, I would stop cruising.  

With regard to AnyMajor's comment, I prefer to travel on a ship and not a floating amusement park.  However as I have often said on CC, different strokes etc.

DON  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

We're booked on the Pacific Princess in January 2022 but she has been rumored to be for sale for a while now.  The reference in TPG is to the original Pacific Princess.

For the right price, every ship is for sale.

The website lists Pacific Princess Cruises up to Feb 18, 2022 but Sun Princess only up to August 2021 / Sea to November 2021 / Grand to April 2021 (yeah, like that's gonna happen) then December to April 2022. Those 4 are the oldest ships. 

30 minutes ago, skynight said:

According to the Princess web site the ship is headed to Cyprus. Looks like it is now on the north end of the Suez. 

There are a couple of other Princess ships already in Cyprus. Cyprus offers ships a good deal to 'hang out'.

So, no, the Pacific Princess is not being scrapped (yet).

1 hour ago, weedpindle said:

For the right price, every ship is for sale.

Interesting story: when on the Grand Princess in 2000, we anchored at Monaco, which was a tender port.  In the afternoon a very large yacht came up alongside, and later the Captain of the Grand Princess announced the Arab owner of the yacht had asked for and been given a tour, after which he asked "How much for the ship?"  Apparently Princess Cruises wasn't willing to part with their newest ship at that time. 😀

Edited by Times Prince
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Unfortunately it appears that most people like the monstrous horrible mega ships.  The fill them and they keep on building more of them although I can't imagine why.  Except for the very expensive cruises, the small ships are unfortunately disappearing.  If the opportunity to go on small ships disappeared, I would stop cruising.  

With regard to AnyMajor's comment, I prefer to travel on a ship and not a floating amusement park.  However as I have often said on CC, different strokes etc.

DON  

Sure glad no amusement parks on Princess like they have on RCI and NCL.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Sure glad no amusement parks on Princess like they have on RCI and NCL.

We too are pleased with this aspect of Princess cruises. We don't need rock climbing walls, water slides, roller coasters, etc. We like cruising on Princess because it's relaxing. Don't misunderstand... I am also pleased that other lines have these things as they attract the "less than relaxing" group of cruisers who will happily enjoy those features. It's an all around win. Folks who would be horribly bored on Princess cruises have a wonderful time on the ships with the "amusement park" features and the huge shopping malls through the middle of the ship. Those of us who have zero interest in those things like Princess. Heck, if Princess had those things my very first cruise would have been my last cruise. People are different. Despite what many seem to think these days (at least it seems that way here in the USA) that can be a very good thing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, memoak said:

Never going to happen.  Most of us love the small ships

That did not stop Princess for getting rid of the two ships similar in size to the current Pacific Princess.

The Pacific Princess makes a profit for Princess, but not as much as the newer (and larger ships) and is certainly not as fuel efficient which is a big deal to a politically correct world.

The current president of Princess Cruises says she wants the ship to stay in the fleet as long as it is practical.

No definition given as what is practical. Only a 100% guess what the next president of Princess Cruises might think.

23 minutes ago, caribill said:

That did not stop Princess for getting rid of the two ships similar in size to the current Pacific Princess.

There were extenuating circumstances with the Royal Princess (the second one/former R ship). It didn’t have mini-suites so there were certain revenue issues with the ship. We sailed on all of the “little girls” in the Princess fleet and will always choose the Pacific Princess first when it comes to itineraries. 

21 hours ago, skynight said:

According to the Princess web site the ship is headed to Cyprus. Looks like it is now on the north end of the Suez. 

May well be headed to Cyprus.  Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Veendam, and Maasdam were all headed in that direction, but, as you may know, are no longer part of the HAL fleet.  Not scrapped, at least.